Beginners and Beyond

Daily Hydration Requirements (Read 118 times)

I LOVE water. I drink anywhere from 4-7 liters a day depending on my level of activity. I got to wondering how much my body actually needs. I've read everything from 8 8-ounce glasses to 1 ounce for every pound of body weight. If the latter is the case, I should be drinking ~6 liters per day. 

Do any of you have a hard and fast rule on this?

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

sunfastrose

Fatty McFatFat

If (thirsty)

then drink;

end;

@runjerseygirl

I'm so bad with this.  I know I need to drink more water, but I'm not a fan.  Lately, I have been enjoying water with like 4 or 5 lemon wedges.  I can drink about 5 cups a day, as long as I keep lemons on hand.

Do you even run?

I drink a lot of water, although don't keep track. Maybe they should add that to the RA training log? Then it would be waterlogged, ha ha.

They used to say to drink 8 glasses per day or some such thing, but I think more recent studies have indicated that this is unnecessary, and you should just drink when you're thirsty.

Some comedian had a bit on this -- "People never used to walk around carrying water bottles wherever they went. How did everyone get so thirsty all of a sudden?"

Dave

happylily

Most of the time, I drink about 4 regular sized glasses of water a day. That's what I am naturally thirsty for. I also drink 2 or 3 coffees a day and the water contained in that coffee should also be taken into consideration (same for fruit juice, etc... It does not have to be pure water.) Four or five days before a race, I try to drink up to 8 glasses. Filling myself up with water when I'm not thirsty is not something I particularly enjoy.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

GinnyinPA

I drink a lot of water, always have.  I keep a quart bottle next to me at all times.

LRB

I couldn't tell you how much water I drank if my life depended on it, but it's a lot!

I don't do soft drinks and only have one cup of coffee a day.  I throw back 20-30 ounces of water with every meal, then drink in between meals as well.

If I had to guess I would say over a gallon, an amount I've been consuming daily for over 14 years.

My weight fluctuates between 1 and 4 lbs daily, a gallon of water weighs 8.33 lbs or thereabouts.  Accounting for going to the little boys room a half dozen times a day, I would say a gallon a day for me sounds about right.

robinde

I drink about 80 to 100oz of water (I keep a 20oz water bottle at my desk) a day plus 2 to 3 cups of coffee.  Usually, that's all I drink, but sometimes I'll drink some fruit juice with breakfast and once a month or so I'll indulge in beer or wine.

happylily

I couldn't tell you how much water I drank if my life depended on it, but it's a lot!

I don't do soft drinks and only have one cup of coffee a day.  I throw back 20-30 ounces of water with every meal, then drink in between meals as well.

If I had to guess I would say over a gallon, an amount I've been consuming daily for over 14 years.

My weight fluctuates between 1 and 4 lbs daily, a gallon of water weighs 8.33 lbs or thereabouts.  Accounting for going to the little boys room a half dozen times a day, I would say a gallon a day for me sounds about right.

This is no good! Think of all the time you waste in the little boys room!

Luke79

That sounds good, just makes me want to guzzle some water right now lol.

I love water.  I have no rule about any certain quantity, but when I feel thirsty I drink some.

LRB

This is no good! Think of all the time you waste in the little boys room!

Each one is a marathon session too. Sometimes two or three people will come and go while I'm standing there.  It's hilarious!

happylily

Each one is a marathon session too. Sometimes two or three people will come and go while I'm standing there.  It's hilarious!

So you're like the Manneken Pis, with people who come and go to watch? Big grin

LRB

So you're like the Manneken Pis, with people who come and go to watch? Big grin

It would last longer than Tyson vs. Spinks that's for sure....wait, that might have been a little before your time.   ; )

Hip Redux

LRB?

LRB