Beginners and Beyond

Just a rant about the "miracles" of weight loss.... (Read 218 times)

Dad on the run.

Ok, so I'm driving to work and I hear crap on the radio all the time. Everything from the protein supplement to take before you go to bed where you will shed pounds while you sleep. Hypnosis weight loss. Weight loss centers that give you all these shots and pills... Today I heard one and this one just had me shaking my head in astonishment. It was a "all natural" pill (Pills are not natural people, they are man made medicine, plus if all these "natural" ingredients could magically shed pounds don't you think we would all be eating/drinking this stuff without the need for a pill???), this magic pill was the safest way to lose weight. Diet pills are not safe, period. The way this pill worked is that it would naturally increase your metabolic rate so that your body would burn more fat while you still ate all the wonderful foods you love. Ummm... hello people but if you want to naturally increase your metobolic rate then you need to get up off your lazy ass and EXERCISE!!!! More muscle = higher metabolism, Higher metabolism with a healthy change in diet = weight loss. Super simple formula and the crazy part is... you will keep the weight off.

Why can't people understand this! There is no miracle weight loss. The minute you stop doing the "miracle drug" your going to blow right back up...

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Love the Half

"Eat less, exercise more" is the least popular weight loss plan in America.  A lot of folks want to achieve something without having to work for it and unfortunately, nothing in life works that way.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Tar Heel Mom

kween

If anything other than "eat less, exercise more" worked, it would be headline news on all the TV stations and newspapers. Please tell anyone who thinks they have found some kind of miracle weight loss pill. The pill makers wouldn't have to buy ads.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Ball of Fury

You know what I REALLY hate, when TV personalities (Dr. Oz comes to mind) get in that band wagon and start promoting products and "effortless weight loss!"  As a former fatty myself, I know damn good and well it takes effort to get fat and it takes effort to lose weight!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Eat Less / Exercise More

OR

Meth

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Robert31320

Team TJ

I agree completely!  I've lost 60 pounds and there wasn't anything easy about it.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Mmmmm...beer

I love it when people ask me what my secret is, like I've somehow discovered a way to effortlessly drop 85lbs, and just forgot to tell the world about it. lol  Then they act surprised when I tell them that there is no secret, I just started eating less and exercising.  The concept is as simple as could be, it's putting it into action that's the hard part.  What would be a miracle pill, is if I could bottle how I feel now, and be able to show people what they could feel like if they would just take some action.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

It's all about making a buck. Eating less is free and nobody makes money. When you market a product  towards people's lazy side, and then throw in some before and after picture, next thing you know it's the next greatest thing . What amazes me is either people's ignorance or stupidity. These products have been around for decades, they keep being replaced by the next one, and none of them work. Most are either diuretics, caffein, or some weak attempt at an appetite depressant. "Most" will have a disclaimer about following a well  balanced diet or claim that results were from test subjects on a 1500 calorie diet.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

As the saying goes, "If it were easy it would be called your mom."

You people have issues 

Ball of Fury

It's been over 2 years since I lost all the weight and I still get this almost every day!  Oh, and then they proceed to tell me I am too skinny and I need to eat a cheeseburger ....really?

I love it when people ask me what my secret is, like I've somehow discovered a way to effortlessly drop 85lbs, and just forgot to tell the world about it. lol  Then they act surprised when I tell them that there is no secret, I just started eating less and exercising.  The concept is as simple as could be, it's putting it into action that's the hard part.  What would be a miracle pill, is if I could bottle how I feel now, and be able to show people what they could feel like if they would just take some action.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Better I Leave

One can simply reduce caloric intake and lose weight. I was just having a conversation in another forum here about this just yesterday. I did just this over 20 years ago. I severely cut back my food intake and lost a lot of weight, and I looked horrible. Sure I was "skinny", but I also lacked any definition as I lost muscle mass as well. I gain all that weight back and then some of course. This time (3 years ago), I did things a bit differently. I ate well, I lifted a lot, I ran a bunch...heh. I gained muscle mass and lost body fat.

I see exercise, more specifically weightlifting, as a necessary component to a weight loss regimen to prevent/minimize loss of muscle tissue. Muscle tissue is "active" tissue that requires calories just to simply exist...and that is where we get our BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). The BMR is the amount of calories necessary to sustain us if all we did was lie awake in bed. By having a good muscle mass to body fat ratio, one is afforded the luxury of needing additional calories to just "live". Using myself as an example, when I had my body fat analysis done (hydrostatic), they crunched the numbers on a man of my age, height, weight. They calculated the BMR for a "normal" guy my age at about 1600 calories. They then ran the numbers with taking into consideration my low body fat percentage and calculated my BMR at about 2600 calories daily...a very BIG difference.

GC100k

We've had this conversation hundreds of times, but I'll repeat out that for many of us, exercise has no effect on weight loss.  The calories burned in exercise are within the daily variation in caloric intake.  In fact, many studies have found no correlation between exercise and losing or maintaining weight.

Running and playing basketball are my hobbies, and I believe they are good for my health, but I consider them irrelevant to my weight.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1914974,00.html

http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/19/for-more-weight-loss-exercise-less/

MrNamtor

As the saying goes, "If it were easy it would be called your mom."

My mom isn't easy. I tried hooking her up with some old guy who had a mad crush on her a few years back and she'd have no part of it.

MrNamtor

j what's really funny is that if you ever watch daytime TV as I did a few weeks back on a plane to LA, you'll see that about half the ads are for KFC, McD, and Taco Bell, and the other half are for fast/easy/miracle weight loss products. Seriously, not exaggerating. It's almost funny.

If I were in the management of one of these fast/junk food conglomerates I'd be pushing to acquire some weight loss/diet product assets. It seems it would be some really good synergy.

Mmmmm...beer

We've had this conversation hundreds of times, but I'll repeat out that for many of us, exercise has no effect on weight loss.  The calories burned in exercise are within the daily variation in caloric intake.  In fact, many studies have found no correlation between exercise and losing or maintaining weight.

Running and playing basketball are my hobbies, and I believe they are good for my health, but I consider them irrelevant to my weight.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1914974,00.html

http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/19/for-more-weight-loss-exercise-less/

"First, the intense exercisers were probably compensating for their extra activity by eating more food."

This is the problem, and why studies like that are flawed.  You can't just say that exercising doesn't help weight loss, because it absolutely does, but you have to also control your eating at the same time.  Give me a study where both groups are taking in the same amount of calories and one group is exercising while the other isn't, which one do you think is going to lose more weight?

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!