Beginners and Beyond

I ran today! (Read 148 times)

delicate flower

Today I ran 3.75 miles in 42 minutes on the treadmill.  That was my first run since tearing my ACL and meniscus on January 5.  4+ months, 17+ weeks, 124 days.  My knee felt good and I was flying high the entire time.  I've been counting down the days for this.  I felt some pain inside my knee cap, which my doc told me to expect but not worry about.  I didn't feel any joint pain though.

The workout was 5 minute jog / 2 minute walk intervals, repeated five times.  The jog intervals were around a 10:00 pace, which is a very easy effort.  My workouts will look like that for a while and I'll slowly add distance and speed while cutting out the walking.   For my first run back, it couldn't have gone much better.

Not running for four months sucked.  I missed all the spring races, all the Boston tribute runs, and this entire year will be focused on recovery and building back up (not to mention DW and I had to cancel our ski vacation).  Prior to my injury, my running was at it's best.  I was looking forward to a strong year of running.  But, shit happens and you've got to just roll with it.  I don't know how long it'll take to get back to where I was, but I know I'll get there.  DW and I are both on our way back.  She seems to have turned a corner with her shin stress fracture, and my knee is coming along just fine.  Good things lie ahead.

Thanks for putting up with my constant knee commentary and updates.  Big grin   It's good to have a place to talk where other folks completely understand where I'm coming from.

Garmin data.  Boy, that's an ugly copy 'n paste.

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Split

Time

Distance

Avg Pace

41:53.3 3.76 11:09
    1 4:56.7 0.48 10:13
    2 2:46.4 0.20 13:34
    3 4:10.4 0.41 10:03
    4 1:57.0 0.13 14:50
    5 5:02.8 0.50 10:09
    6 1:56.5 0.13 14:47
    7 5:03.0 0.50 10:07
    8 1:55.8 0.13 14:49
    9 5:04.2 0.50 10:08
    10 1:57.5 0.13 14:53
    11 5:02.2 0.49 10:12
    12 2:00.9 0.14 14:49

<3

Docket_Rocket

Yay!  I am glad to see this thread!  Good luck with your miles!

Do you have a race in mind (like a 5K in July or something to keep your juices up?)

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Robert31320

Team TJ

Congrats Phil!!

Running for TJ because he can't.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Yes, baboon!! That's just as good as any RR!! Best of luck and keep it up! Smile

delicate flower

Yay!  I am glad to see this thread!  Good luck with your miles!

Do you have a race in mind (like a 5K in July or something to keep your juices up?)

I'm signed up for the BAA 10K on June 23, though I won't be able to race it all out.  I'll be able to cover 6.2 miles easily by then, so it'll just be a tempo run.  I have a couple of HM's on my fall calendar, and I'm sure some 5K's will pop up before that.

<3

Ball of Fury

Yay!!  Congrats to you and MBC!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

happylily

Awesome! So very happy for you! Smile

Meanwhile, I'm on the injured bench for the first time in my running like. (not counting my heart surgery). Grrr... But if you could do it, so can I. So thank you for showing me it's possible to hang in there! (although if I have to wait 4 months before I can run again, I will become a very very unpleasant person, worse than I am now, even. Hang on to your tuques! as we say in French. Big grin).

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

cmb4314

Yay!

I feel your pain because I'm in the same boat - I was in the best shape I'd ever been in, and I missed my marathon and haven't run in over 12 weeks now.

I finally got out of my walking boot today, so I'm looking forward to running in a few weeks.  

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

LRB

All in all you have been a real trooper about the whole thing so no worries with any of that.  You're a cool dude and a positive presence here, and I wish only good things for you and your rehab.

And who knows, if your ass didn't get too fat while you were off, you just may surprise yourself at a November 5k...

Congrats!  I can't wait to read about your comeback throughout the year.  Smile

Docket_Rocket

Woot!

I'm signed up for the BAA 10K on June 23, though I won't be able to race it all out.  I'll be able to cover 6.2 miles easily by then, so it'll just be a tempo run.  I have a couple of HM's on my fall calendar, and I'm sure some 5K's will pop up before that.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

I'm so happy for you, and really sympathetic.  It was so difficult for me to suck up my ego and run my first runs back (after 3 months off) at 10:00/mile pace.  I respect how you're handling it and really glad you're back.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Yay!!! I hope your comeback continues to go well!

Mostly harmless

Congrats and good work!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

YAYpril - B-Plus

Best post ever! Yay!