Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos:  Cerveza 5K (Read 7 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO   

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:  http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2040%20Cerveza%205K

A couple of the photos may not have come out so well;  sorry about that – I am certainly no professional photographer with skills; but at least all the photos are free to save.

BEFORE MY START

My 40th race of 2017 was Cerveza 5K put on by Andiamo Race Productions on June 17.

The race shirt, nice tech tee

Race location was Concepcion Park in San Antonio, a park adjacent to the San Antonio Riverwalk. Race start time: 7:30 a.m.  Early start was a good thing as Texas summer is starting to arrive early, with the temp at start time already at 77 degrees, dew-point in the 70s, and humidity already up to 85%.  Not a breath of wind either, so the air felt thicker than the waistlines of Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum standing side by side.   The park is not that far of a drive from where I live, so I arrived with about 45 minutes to go to start time and got some pre-start photos.

I have arrived

iaapweb, andiamo, sponsors, and volunteer people who took care of course set-up, timing, chips, race day registration, etc.

Some of the views around this park

Others before the start

The kids all look so happy to be here...   

ON THE COURSE

Started at one of the park concrete pathways and then down an incline along part of the Mission Reach section of the San Antonio Riverwalk, with the River to our right. Down a hill and then crossed a bridge over the river, river now to our left, and did a pretty up-and-down hilly route to a turn-round point and then back the way we had come.  Of course, since it was downhill at the start, these now became uphills for us as we made our way back to the finish.  I ended up 5th in my age group of 60 – 69, with a finish time of 34 minutes and change.  Just happy to finish standing up!  It was VERY humid and as I ran along, I saw a few people who seemed to be affected by the heat.  Nobody went down thank goodness, as far as I saw, but a couple people did puke, and me and just everybody around me did slow down a bit going back toward the finish. Tough course on a warm day; but also a very scenic one with lots of great views of the river and the Riverwalk.

Going across the bridge "at 0.6 miles", which is what I heard on someones 'talking watch' as we went across

Made the turn-around point and am now making my way back to the finish

Up the hill toward the finish...this was downhill going out...

Where I just came from...

A little more level now...almost done..

AFTER MY FINISH

Everyone who crossed the finish line got this unique little finisher medal of a glass of beer running, lol.

Chip removal from my shoe, someone handed me a bottle of water – thank goodness on this warm day the organizers were very smart and had the water right at the finish line – which I sipped slowly as I walked around a bit – felt much better after that – and then got a few photos of other people finishing

Kid is floating to the finish

My friend Ed finishing.  I NEVER finish ahead of him, usually, he is very speedy.  But he's coming back from an AT injury, so I was ahead of him today.

and then to intermingle with all the other happy finishers, volunteers, etc, and get some more photos.   Also enjoyed a cold beer – this is the Cerveza 5K after all – and breakfast tacos were served too, nice.

They entertained us.  And before the race, she sang the National Anthem just beautifully.

Our taco servers, who had to be there REALLY early for us

I like this menu of our taco choices.  I bet that Pot Egg taco is the favorite of Willie Nelson.  OK, it's probably PO + Egg (potato + egg)...but I like my version better, lol.

Beer and tacos with friend Bill and dog Duke, who is napping near Bill's feet.   Nice.

I thought these two ladies were sisters, but the lady in red told me mother-and-daughter, wow.  That is one "well preserved" young looking mother.  

Me and pal Bernadette

Friends Bill and Tanya, who was first overall female

With friend Carolyn

If you are a senior citizen, guys...find two pretty ladies....stand between them for the photo....you will look great! 

My pals, Margaret and Rocky (1) and then with Priscilla (2)

You can tell it was getting warm and bright out..that little girl's expression, lol.

The drawing my friend Terry is holding was what was given as as first-place age group award

I did not place, but I got one too from the Andiamo in recognition for this being my 40th race of 2017.  I thought that was nice of them.   And I like the drawing, appeals to my sense of humor, lol.

After I got home, took a couple of selfies - which ain't easy, lol, with my old-fashioned Canon camera - with my running beer glass.

That drawing and the little medal definitely appeal to my sense of humor, lol.  

EPILOGUE

Andiamo has some very nice events and all of them are a lot of fun, and all have some very unique stuff when it comes to race shirts, awards, and so forth.  I try to do a few of their races every year and always enjoy them when I do.   Definitely worthwhile. Check out Andiamo Productions website and if you’re in the local area come on out and do some of these fun events, I do not think you will regret it.

MUCHO thanks to all the people who did all the hard work to make this one happen for we participants,  iaapweb for course set-up, timing, results, etc; all the volunteers, sponsors, our law enforcement officers that were out there for us, water stop volunteers, course marshals, etc.   Without all of you willing to be out there, there would be no races for we participants.  So, thank you very much for your time!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

I thought of your race reports the other day--I saw a lot of posts on Facebook about Morgan's Inspiration Island and think you'v'e posted RR from there.

Nice race. Must have been one tired dog in the one picture if he was sleeping when there were tacos around.

GinnyinPA

I'm not surprised you participated in a race named for beer.  I'm glad they had some at the finish line for you.  That looks like a pretty place to run, but shade was lacking on a hot morning.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I thought of your race reports the other day--I saw a lot of posts on Facebook about Morgan's Inspiration Island and think you'v'e posted RR from there.

Nice race. Must have been one tired dog in the one picture if he was sleeping when there were tacos around.

Duke and Bill are pretty speedy.   Bill finished 5th overall in the 5K and Duke was in front of him most of the way.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I'm not surprised you participated in a race named for beer.  I'm glad they had some at the finish line for you.  That looks like a pretty place to run, but shade was lacking on a hot morning.

Virtually no shade on that course at all.  A couple of times, I felt like wading into the river, lol.