Beginners and Beyond

Race Report With Photos: Leukemia Lymphoma Society Doggie Dash 5K (Read 43 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

My 23rd race of 2013. LLS 5K (Lymphoma Lukemia Society) and 3rd race of my running week for this week:  did April Fool's 5K on April 1 and Brainpower 5K on April 6.  This one was held at McAllister Park, San Antonio, Sunday, April 7, 2013. Weather:  66 degrees at start time, 99% humidity, gaack!  About 60  - 70 participants.  A 5K at 8 a.m. followed by a 1-mile Doggie Dash at 9 a.m.  I finished the 5K with a time of 32:39 (11 seconds slower than my 5K on Saturday, April 6).  This was good enough for 3rd place in my age group.  Actually, I think there WERE only 3 in my age group, lol.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before the Start

Got to the start area with about 30 minutes to spare and did my usual thing: pre-start photos.The folks wearing the green LLS shirts have on the race shirts participants got in the goodie bags.

Me and a lovely lady and her cool dog, Chloe.  Now why is it I can remember the dog's name but not the lady's name? 

race 008

The lovely lady and Chloe

race 003

Me and #99 (his number reminded me of the show "Get Smart", lol)  do a lot of the same local races over the year

race 010

Others waiting for the start

race 007

race 001

race 002

race 004

race 005

race 006

race 014

race 009

race 013

Umm, is the Doberman trying to send me a message about taking his photo? 

race 012

On The Course

Paved trails through part of the park, and then doing the last part of the course on a park road. Very flat course, except for one pretty small incline.  I think the winner did this course in 15-something. McAllister - the largest park in San Antonio - is a pretty park with lots of trees and also wildlife, especially deer.  If you are 'lucky" like me you might even get to see some deer closeup.  I've been running in this park for 19 years and have been knocked on my butt or 'brushed back" by them at least 20 times. I swear, they WAIT for me to show up - "Shh, shh! Here he comes!  Get ready..."   I must be their comic relief.

race 016

race 015

I was pretty much on most of the course with these lovely ladies.  We'd play 'leapfrog' with them passing me as I took photos, and then me catching back up and getting ahead again.

race 018

More course photos...

race 019

race 020

race 021

race 022

race 023

race 024

race 025

race 026

Got a finish photo of the 2 lovely ladies that I kept company with on the course

race 027

After The Race

There were several post-race goodies, including a variety of bagels given out by this volunteer

race 036

"Camp Bow Wow" had a table there

race 037

Awards were in 10-year age groups.  Here is the 3rd place one I got for my age group:

race 049

Me and Bernadette with our placques.  My lovely and speedy friend Bernadette actually got 2, she was first in her age group and 2nd overall for the race.

race 050

"Agent 99" got first in his age group (60 - 69) finishing in 26-something, if I remember correctly.  Here he is with our 'favorite race model" Bernadette.

race 048

My bud, Gene, with his cool dog, Blue

race 040

Gene, Blue, his wife (Gene's wife, not Blue's wife ) Loyce, and their other dog, whose name I don't recall.

race 041

3rd place winner in the Doggie Dash 1-mile.  That is one speedy little doggie!

race 051

More "Happy Finishers" and Supporters

race 035

race 028

race 029

race 030

race 031

race 032

race 033

race 034

race 039

race 038

race 047

race 042

race 043

race 044

race 045

race 046

EPILOG

A very pleasant way to spend a Sunday morning.   Nice event for a good cause, nice race course venue, lots of friendly participants, both 4-legged and 2-legged. There were also some nice door prizes (Road ID certificates, certificates to local food places, and so forth) - none of which I won for the 2nd race in a row for this weekend -  and, of course, I loved interacting with lots of the doggies there!   Would definitely recommend this one to my fellow runners.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Looks like this one was tailor made for you.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Hip Redux

Lookit all the doggies!  Love it!

And congrats on your swag.  Big grin

GinnyinPA

Nice race, Scotty.  Did the folks with the little tiny dogs end up carrying them?

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

AWWWWWW doggies doggies everywhere! Thanks for sharing, great pics and RR!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

hog4life

Congrats on #23. Lots and lots of furry friends at this one. Did you bring enough treats? Joking

tracilynn

AG AWARD!  Woot!  I mean, WOOF Big grin

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Congrats on the AG award!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jen2011

What a great race!  Congrats on the AG award!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good job on the AG award !

With all those dogs you gotta watch where you step!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

YAYpril - B-Plus

Look at all the puppies! Aww! Great job Scotty and I love the pictures. The park was beautiful!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice race, Scotty.  Did the folks with the little tiny dogs end up carrying them?

Actually, no.  Some of those tiny dogs are darn speedy!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on #23. Lots and lots of furry friends at this one. Did you bring enough treats? Joking

No.  I put my car in the garage the day before for some work...and I forgot to take the treats out of the car! Sad  Oh well.

SheCan

Doggy Dash pictures are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Thanks for getting all these adorable pictures, Scotty.  Congratulations to you on your AG award and to your friends for also placing.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson