Beginners and Beyond

Boston Lurker Thread (Read 55 times)

RunningOnSand

RunningOnSand

Copy-paste from the Sub3 main forum thread:

Boston Marathon 1000th Finisher Times (First corral cutoff)

(Difference from 1st corral time)

2019: 2:49:06 (2:44:38) (+4:28)
      2018: 2:54:42 (2:46:29)  (+8:13)
      2017: 2:56:08 (2:47:50) (+8:18)
      2016: 2:56:29 (2:46:36) (+9:53)
      2015: 2:50:35 (2:47:48) (+2:47)
      2014: 2:50:35 (2:45:37) (+4:58)
      2013: 2:52:20 (2:48:54) (+3:26)
      2012: 3:09:34 (2:49:32) (+20:02)
      2011: 2:55:41 (2:52:57) (+2:44)
      2010: 2:57:13 (2:54:37) (+2:36)
      2009: 2:57:24 (2:55:10) (+2:14)
      2008: 2:58:13 (2:55:20) (+2:53)

I don't understand.   Someone with some patience, please explain this to me?

I did sign up for Tunnel marathon in August. I also looked--it's a 1.5% elevation loss, so not anything super crazy. 

Out here in Seattle? A ton of people go there for their BQs. They do several races a year on that course. It's 2000 ft drop over the length of the course, very even and steady. So probably a bit tough on the quads, but maybe not too awful. Also be advised it's mostly gravel, some people even wear gaiters. And it starts with 2-3 miles through a dark tunnel, so you need a headlamp, but you probably already know that. I have not run it; I was hoping to get a BQ by other means, and using that as a last resort if I continued to be unsuccessful. But since I got it, that race isn't really on my list, as I don't think it's that interesting otherwise. Maybe tempting for PR, IDK. I don't regret anything about the Boston experience, but I sure wish I could've gotten a better time out of that training cycle I had.

Dave

Hip Redux

I don't understand.   Someone with some patience, please explain this to me?

As I read it - How fast was the 1000th finisher of each year compared to the first corral cutoff times.... the more of a difference, the more the first corral slowed down compared to how fast they were when they qualified.   I suppose the 1000th finisher was a random picking?  Unless there's something about the corral size that makes that a logical choice.

The assumption being the bigger differential, the bigger a factor the weather was.   That's mostly correlation not necessarily causation, but based on what we know of the weather those years, it's probably a good indicator.   That or everyone in 2012 took the winter off and drank a lot of beer?  :P

delicate flower

I sure wish I could've gotten a better time out of that training cycle I had.

+1

But it's easy for me to accept because I ran some great races during my training cycle with multiple PR's and AG awards, so it's not like Boston was the only thing I got out of it.  Plus the training runs themselves were fun, throwing down some of those monster workouts I had.

<3

bluerun

Super B****

I don't regret anything about the Boston experience, but I sure wish I could've gotten a better time out of that training cycle I had.

+2 (well, 2018, but whatever)

Congrats, BTW, to both of you!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

delicate flower

let's see them!

I assume the full resolution pic will be much better than this preview, but I'm in the white singlet right next to the crawler.

<3

Cyberic

As I read it - How fast was the 1000th finisher of each year compared to the first corral cutoff times.... the more of a difference, the more the first corral slowed down compared to how fast they were when they qualified.   I suppose the 1000th finisher was a random picking?  Unless there's something about the corral size that makes that a logical choice.

The assumption being the bigger differential, the bigger a factor the weather was.   That's mostly correlation not necessarily causation, but based on what we know of the weather those years, it's probably a good indicator.   That or everyone in 2012 took the winter off and drank a lot of beer?  :P

How many people are in the first corral? If there's 2000, then 1000th finisher would mean... I have no idea, lol. If it's not a random picking, I don't understand the reason why go with 1000th.

The more I think of it, maybe he (she) chose a position that on a good year is pretty close to the first corral's cut off time, and used that for a comparison basis.

+1

But it's easy for me to accept because I ran some great races during my training cycle with multiple PR's and AG awards, so it's not like Boston was the only thing I got out of it.  Plus the training runs themselves were fun, throwing down some of those monster workouts I had.

Sort of for me. I had a 5k and 10k both exactly 2 seconds off PR. Had a PR HM, but not where I thought it could be, then another where I underperformed due to being sick. But if the training cycle were a race, I won.

Dave

RunningOnSand

Oh that makes sense. and yeah, the weather probably is a really good indicator. Damn weather, messing with marathoners. Wink Smile

RunningOnSand

Out here in Seattle? A ton of people go there for their BQs. They do several races a year on that course. It's 2000 ft drop over the length of the course, very even and steady. So probably a bit tough on the quads, but maybe not too awful. Also be advised it's mostly gravel, some people even wear gaiters. And it starts with 2-3 miles through a dark tunnel, so you need a headlamp, but you probably already know that. I have not run it; I was hoping to get a BQ by other means, and using that as a last resort if I continued to be unsuccessful. But since I got it, that race isn't really on my list, as I don't think it's that interesting otherwise. Maybe tempting for PR, IDK. I don't regret anything about the Boston experience, but I sure wish I could've gotten a better time out of that training cycle I had.

Yep! I am hoping I don't freak out in the tunnel. LOL. Oy. I've heard it's a really gorgeous course--waterfalls, crossing over bridges overlooking huge ravines...I'm again hoping it's not a hot day!

I could see the gaiters being helpful to keep the gravel out of the shoes (how annoying would that be), but have any of you ever run with them? I, of course, am wondering about the chafe factor.