Beginners and Beyond

Another "Running is BAD" Post (Read 167 times)

Sloooow.

Ladies and Gentlemen, my Facebook friends are rebelling. My 3-4 posts a month mentioning running has caused a 1000% increase of friends posting links, pictures, sayings, about why running is bad. Lol.

This is the latest one that has popped up. http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/5343/why-women-should-not-run/

"If you waste energy running, your body will react by slowing your metabolism to conserve energy."

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That's hilarious, I'll stick to my running though Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Hip Redux

There's a whole thread over in the Health section (I think?) on this one!  And some good rebuttals.  Big grin

Sloooow.

I'll go check it out! I have one "friend" in particular who is posting so much anti-running stuff I think it's kind of funny, lol. I swear I don't rub it in peoples faces, my total amount of running posts have been for first 3,4 and 5 mile run, and about an upcoming 5K.

Hip Redux

They can always hide you if it really bothers them lol  I have three different friends who constantly post about drinking - wine, etc.   After a point, there's only so many "I drink wine ha ha" memes someone can take.   I'm *this close* to hiding their feeds entirely!

LRB

"If you waste energy running, your body will react by slowing your metabolism to conserve energy."

Hmm, that might explain the fade in my last marathon.   Joking

Ball of Fury

Hmm, that might explain the fade in my last marathon.   Joking

No, no, no....that excuse is only valid for females!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

This is the latest one that has popped up. http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/5343/why-women-should-not-run/

Or you could add strides and speedwork to learn to run more effciently and not waste energy.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Just B.S.

Yeah cause nobody wants to look like this heading for age 52 and another marathon in 19 days. 

Then a triathlon a few weeks later.Big grin Cause that would just suck.

Running sucks. It keeps you full of energry, healthy and fit and a size 2 when most of your peers are

overweight and complaining about their aching knees.

I used to be 38, 40lbs overweight, sluggish and unhappy with my body and my health headed for a

bad place. Now that was BAD.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.   People are buttheads. Nuff said.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

You are my hero! Smile

Yeah cause nobody wants to look like this heading for age 52 and another marathon in 19 days. 

Then a triathlon a few weeks later.Big grin Cause that would just suck.

Running sucks. It keeps you full of energry, healthy and fit and a size 2 when most of your peers are

overweight and complaining about their aching knees.

I used to be 38, 40lbs overweight, sluggish and unhappy with my body and my health headed for a

bad place. Now that was BAD.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.   People are buttheads. Nuff said.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

I saw that article! The guy totally takes the research out of context, and is deliberately misleading about thyroid production and running. Runner's W. has a pretty good synthesis of the current data and research findings--without all the "RUNNING IS BAD! ONLY CROSS-FIT WILL MAKE YOU AWESOME!!!!" kind of stuff that the author of the "Why Women Should Not Run" article touts repeatedly.

We all have to find our bliss, and I say that if running is where WE find it, the cross-fitter totalitarians can go jump off a cliff! Shocked

Docket_Rocket

Send then to my FB page.  They will die from brain explosion.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Will my uterus fall out too like my coworker told me?!?! And I will just destroy my knees, yeah?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

happylily

Bah... why waste our time on something we know isn't true? I avoid articles like this like the plague. These days, everyone is out trying to write something controversial just to get some attention. It gets tiresome...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Just B.S.

Will my uterus fall out too like my coworker told me?!?! And I will just destroy my knees, yeah?

Actually having a strong core from running will keep it in.

At least that's what the OBGYN told me after I ended up in the ER with a prolapsed cervix.

Ran 2 more fulls and 4 halfs and about a dozen other races before I had a hysterctomy to

get that taken care of.Smile.