Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins - Break Out Your Old Spirograph! (Read 233 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins and all those lurking to see what we are all about!

The thought came into my head of Dave (DtotheSecond) running laps on the aircraft carrier with a Garmin and then downloading the run. I pictured the mapped view to look like a spirograph design!

Yesterday I did upper body at the gym. I did have an incident - I squeezed out an extra rep on the chest machine and I instantly got an intense headache. I shook it off, but had a medium headache the rest of the night. I did not hear anything pop and I am still around this morning. I feel about 99% better.

Hope everyone makes nice designs with their runs today!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  SRD # 2 with weights and kickboxing tonight.

Gustav, enjoy your workouts.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Gustav that sounds scary! Hope all is ok.

Taking another total restday, day 3. Feeling a little down about that and itching for a workout. But the knee is really bothering me, and I've rehurt it several times already doing too much so I need to show restraint and let it rest a little.

Have a good day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

With all of our penguins lifting weights and kickboxing, I think we should challenge another daily thread to a fight.

Kristin, I went through the madness of trying to take a week off recently.  It really did help to find an exercise that I could do to help pass the time.

Seriously though, yesterday was weights and core work for myself as well.  My knees are feeling really strong.  I can't wait for my next race.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

oh a runner fight! fun! I think I am going to do a nice arm workout with my 5lb freeweights in my apartment when I get home from work, so I will pack a punch. when is the next race awood?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Jen2011

Good morning everyone!

Gustav, hope all is well with you - take it easy today!

Damaris, enjoy the weights and kickboxing tonight!

Kristin, rest that knee!  I know it's hard, but you will be so much happier that you did when you heal and can run injury free!

Awood, glad to hear the knees are strong and you are back in the game!  When is your next race?

AFM, 3 miles tonight, which may be on the treadmill if we get any of the freezing rain that's forecasted.

Have a great day!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Nightcrawler-

You may be right

Morning penguins

Gustav1 - I hope your headache is nothing serious. I totally had a spirograph. I forgot all about that. It kept me and my sister entertained for hours

Damaris - Enjoy your workout and kickboxing class tonight.

Kristin - Better safe than sorry. You'll be running again before you know it.

Awood - Good job on the workout yesterday.

Jen- Enjoy your run.

AFM - I woke up to the fluffy white stuff coming down and it's sticking.  This doesn't happen much so I tend to get a little excited, maybe a little too excited.   I will be doing 5-6 tonight either outside or on the dreadmill. It all depends on the weather.

Don't believe everything you think. 

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I might just have to pick up a race somewhere soon.  I'm going crazy.

I don't have anything planned until March 24th.  I don't know if I can wait that long.  We'll see.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

A Man On The Run!

Good Morning Penguins

Gustav1 - I was more an etch-a-sketch kid then a  spirograph.  Hope you get back to 100% soon!

Damaris – workout, kickboxing and the a half and full marathon over the week end..you truly are BAD ASS!

Kristin – Hope you get well soon

Awood – Can’t wait to see your virtual race rematch!

Jen- have a great run.

AFM – Today will be my first run after getting diagnosed with asthma and being on medication.  Hoping the ability to breathe better helps my running!  Breathing and running…what a crazy combo!  LOL

Zeke

http://zekerunning.wordpress.com/

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.- Albert Einstein

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Leaving work today early, taking my poor kitty to the vet, he has an infected front paw, got bit by something or stepped on something or whatever.  Otherwise, he is doing fine.  It doesn't  seem to bother him that much, he still chases the other kitties around the house and does his normal stuff.  I was watching him last night and thinking we humans could learn a lot from them.   Here is Peanut with a sore foot, but he doesn't think he's any different because of it, he just keeps doing his thing, being a cat, doing what he always does .  My neighbor has a 3-legged dog, yet that doesn't slow him down at all, he still gets out there and goes running with her.   Next time I start having a pity party for myself because of something or other, I am going to try and remember these creatures with their "can do" habits.

After the vet, I have an appointment myself and then will be going for a run after that at Lackland Air Force Base.  Weather is crazy today!  It was 33 this morning with a feels-like of 28 and the high today will only be around 45.  Our normal 'high' for January days is usually in the low 60s.  My feels like temp this afternoon will be about 39.  BRRRR!  I hate cold weather!   At least it will be sunny, anyway.   Oh well, at least here in San Antonio, our 'cold' weather does not last too long.  By the end of next month we will be back in the 60s and 70s.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

His Slowness

Good morning Penguins.

Gustav - the Spirograph image is brilliant!  Be carefull on the machines.
                          Damaris - enjoy the rest day and beating up on something.
                          Kristin - enjoy the rest day.  I hope the knee gets better.  I've learned that it's usually better to let it heal than to try to push it.
                          Awood - I wish something, anything on me felt strong other than my appetite.
                          Jen - hope you get outside instead of the treadmill.
                          Nightcrawler - enjoy the snow.  We don't get much here in the upper parts of Alabama either.
                          Zeke - good luck on your trial run today with the meds.
                          Scotty - good luck with the cat.  Our weather has been crazy too.  It was in the 70's on Saturday and now we have freezing rain and a high in the 30's.  I hope the rain is gone by morning when I run.

I'm resting today and listening to it rain on the roof here at work.

Bill

tracilynn

Where do you live Bill? I'm in Huntsville.

My oldest had a Spirograph when she was younger. Cool gadget.

Im doing an easy 3 tonight in our winter weather advisory.

Kicking myself for selling my dread mill to my neighbor in a garage sale.  he's like 85 I know he doesn't use it. HaHa.

~~~~~~~

Traci

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Gustav, you can get a headache from doing chest exercises?  My headache at the gym usually comes from me banging my head on a weight or piece of equipment, lol.  I have actually done that accidentally quite a few times over my many times in the gym, much to the amusement of the other patrons there.   You know how people sometimes fall off the TM? Well, I don't use the TM, but once I fell off the Stairmaster machine..  Blush    Glad you are feeling better.      I can't imagine running on an aircraft carrier deck.  Which reminds me of a plane joke:  What happened when the lady backed into a propeller?  Dis-ast-er!  Wink

Damaris, when you do kickboxing, do you imagine the bag is an attorney or judge you don't like?  Joking  Probably a good way to release a lot of frustrations.

So sorry, Kristin, about the knee. Shouldn't the doc be getting you into physical therapy or something?  Do you have an indoor pool accesible?  If so, try some pool running.  No impact and it is a good rehab workout and will at least let you do some exercise. Look up pool running on the internet and you can find all kinds of various workouts you can do in the deep water, again all with no impact to your knee.

Congrats on your weights and core workout Awood.  Sounds like you are doing great these days!  Hope it stays that way!  Well, Gustav, I have signed up already for all these...my next race is this Saturday...then I have one on Jan 26th..then one on Feb 2...then one on Feb 3....then one on Feb 9...then one on Feb 10 (which is my birthday; the RD gave me free entry for that one)....then one on Feb 16....then one on Feb 23.... see, you could come visit for a month or so and we could do a race every weekend around here!  Big grin

Ugg, Jen, freezing rain, that sucks.  I might even be tempted to run on a TM instead of in that stuff.   Wait..no I wouldn't, cuz I know what a TM would do to me, lol.  Guess I'm stuck with the freezing rain...SIGH... Wink  Good luck with your workout, hope you can get your miles in.

AFM - I woke up to the fluffy white stuff coming down and it's sticking.  What?  I thought you were in Texas, Nightcrawler, near my area.  Where are you that you actually got snow? You must be in Texas Hill Country?  East Texas or out more toward the Panhandle or West Texas or up Dallas way?  I am SO glad South Texas doesn't have to deal with that stuff.   Good luck with your miles.

Welcome to the forum, Zeke!  Take inspiration from Damaris, she has asthma, and she just did the Disney Goofy Challenge last weekend.  She is amazing!  She can probably give you all kinds of good advice and insight for running with asthma.

I was more an etch-a-sketch kid then a  spirograph.    Well, me, I was more like the kid who couldn't color in-between the lines, lol.

Enjoy the rest day, Bill.  Yeah, crazy weather all over the country, Mother Nature is going nutso in her seriously old age, with all these 'weather flashes".

He probably is using the TM, Traci, it makes a great place to hang up his coats, dry his towels and sweaters, etc.    Good luck with your miles today in your crazy weather!  Huntsville TX or Huntsville AL?  Or Huntsville some-other-state.   Seems like there are a lot of forum folks in Alabama, I'll have to do a race there sometime.   However, since I am limited to 5K and 10K distance (stupid arthritis), and I LOVE huge events (events with thousands of participants), I need to know what is the largest (participation-wise) 5K and 10K in Alabama?  Here in Texas, our biggest 10K is the Capital 10,000 in Austin (love this event!), which had just under 23,000 last year.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Pewpewpew

Don't let Awood fool you guys we have talked about doing a 5k on Valentines day.