Beginners and Beyond

Chi Running by Danny Dreyer (Read 87 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I have been battling little niggling injuries lately and was wondering if there is anything to this book? I am a mid-foot striker with a short stride and I think I have decent form. Have any of you read it or use the techniques? I am just wondering if there is something worthwhile here or if it is just a bunch of hooey.  Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

IMO its not hooey, but its no big revelation.  I read it, but I don't think I use much if any of it.

**Ask me about streaking**

Love the Half

Anyone who thinks that all human bodies should run in the same way is full of it.  Look at professional golfers.  They have widely varying swings.  Same thing for professional baseball players.  Same thing for professional runners.  You'll find heel strikers, midfoot strikers, forefoot strikers, and everything in between.  You'll find runners who look like they are on a rail like Kenenisa Bekele and you'll find runners who look for all the world like they are going to rattle apart like Paula Radcliffe.  If the folks who get paid to do it don't all run with the same form, it makes no sense to argue that all recreational runners should run with the same form.

Can you improve your form?  Yes.  But that mostly happens just because you keep running.  Your body is incredibly lazy and it will figure out the easiest way for it to accomplish any repetitive task.  The critical thing though is that what is the easiest way for me may not be the easiest way for you.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

I'm no expert on the subject, but my gut tells me that LTH is right. I'm also a mid-foot striker with short stride and good form and I see nothing wrong with that. Why try to change it? Could your little injuries be because you haven't found the right shoes for you?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Look at professional golfers.  They have widely varying swings.

And then there's Jim Furyk... the jury is still out on what to call that thingJoking.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

And then there's Jim Furyk... the jury is still out on what to call that thingJoking.

Charles Barkley has the greatest swing ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s50K65PNeBU

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I agree that there is not a "one size fits all" running form...however, I don't believe that working on form is a fruitless endeavor.  Even golf pro's work on their swing.  I would say that the Danny Dreyer book gives some good 'cues' that are helpful in making sure you are running in decent form, regardless of foot strike.  For me, I know when I'm getting tired I start to slouch.  It is nice to be able to run through a checklist of 'cues' in order to get myself back to running strong.  I haven't been doing this lately, but I do think there is some value in improving your own personal running form.

**Ask me about streaking**

RSX

I would recommend getting it from the library as I did. If you find it helpful you can purchase it later. I was a heel striker for 20+ years and decided to change to mid foot. That booked helped me adjust but my form is far from perfect. There is 1 section of the book I still refer to. When something hurts for too long it tells you what you might be doing wrong.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

All good points, thanks for them. I think the book is in my local library so I will give it a read. I'm not looking to overhaul my form or anything, but I do get tweaks here and there and my shoulders sometimes get tired. If nothing else, I do like reading. Thanks again for the help.

Lilly: what kind of shoes do you use?

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Jack, I also am a midfoot striker typically and a very short stride.  I find I naturally transitioned into that after I started having hamstring and PF issues (doing speed work and hills with long strides)

Regarding the Chi book, I read through it and it has some food for thought. But I won't go and change what is working well for me based on the book.

As a side note: I have a buddy, a crossfit nut, who has been trying to push the damned book down my throat for over a year. Also to note, he has never run even 5k for fun or a race and can only 'chi' or 'pose' run for 300m before he is winded. So... running expert he is not.

RSX

Jack, I also am a midfoot striker typically and a very short stride.  I find I naturally transitioned into that after I started having hamstring and PF issues (doing speed work and hills with long strides)

Regarding the Chi book, I read through it and it has some food for thought. But I won't go and change what is working well for me based on the book.

As a side note: I have a buddy, a crossfit nut, who has been trying to push the damned book down my throat for over a year. Also to note, he has never run even 5k for fun or a race and can only 'chi' or 'pose' run for 300m before he is winded. So... running expert he is not.

That book definitely spawned some cults, and Chi Walking which I find amusing. I never heard of running clinics until that book. There is some stuff on Youtube that is worthwhile based on all that as well. I just wouldn't call it the end all be all as you can probably gain something from any running book if you are trying to make a change.

MrNamtor

I do get tweaks here and there and my shoulders sometimes get tired.

Are you a chest breather? That could be a possible cause of tiredness in the shoulders because you're heaving your shoulders to breath. If this is the case low (diaphragm) breathing would be the remedy.

I know about this from the years i trained in karate, not running. But I've found that this kind of breathing really helps my endurance in all things.

If you concentrate on this for just a short time, it will become completely automatic. It won't be like you're going to have to think about your breathing all the time while you run (that would be ridiculous.)

If the cause of your shoulder fatigue is something else then, you know, never mind.