Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins (Read 20 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  Today should be a run to/from the Y and swim day.  Yesterday I took an URD.  My left hamstring was really tight and bitching at me just walking around.  It is still a little tight but I'm going to roll it out some more and just take the running portion of my day really easy.  I'm hopeful that swimming will loosen it up.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

Morning, 4 this morning and gym tonight I think.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6 and weights tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Two races done on Saturday, March 5th...

REPORT – MY 16TH RACE OF 2016 – THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION DIPLOMA DASH on March 5th

LINK - - http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/594994d5cf3947e387b0069e0a6d28a9/resume#focus

I followed up the Diploma Dash by doing another 5K on the evening of March 5th.   It was like a little Mini-Mardi-Gras at Fort Sam Houston

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/e6e18988d58c45fc88b026cddc45e9af/resume#focus

and then on Sunday, slept in for the morning, and then  did a nice easy 3.2 miles on Sunday afternoon.

Today is a rest day from running. May do weight training circuit after work if I get motivated enough.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Morning!  I have 6 later with the group.  Jill, I hope that hamstring loosens up today.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hammy still pissy but it was 100% fine while swimming.  There was finally someone faster than me at the pool today.  At first I was splitting the lane with a guy slightly slower than me, he was chasing me down the whole time which was motivating.  Then this speedy guy jumped in and asked to circle swim.  He was slightly faster than me -- maybe if I keep with the swimming thing for another month or two I'll be back up to his speed.  He was at least 6 feet tall and maybe slightly younger than me.  It is hard to tell people's ages at the pool between the swim caps and the googles.  Anyway, I've concluded that I'm competitive and maybe I should just go and join an actual running club because it'll make me run a lot faster too :-)

From the Internet.

I have a second job! Big grin Got hired as a program tutor for a small group of international students at a local school; I come in 4 nights a week and supervise homework time and answer any science questions they have. Gonna be a very busy few months, but I'll be getting some hands-on teaching experience and making some extra cash.

Ran 5 miles this morning, will probably do something medium-longish tomorrow, 7 or 8 miles, if I can drag myself out of bed early enough.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I have a second job! Big grin Got hired as a program tutor for a small group of international students at a local school; I come in 4 nights a week and supervise homework time and answer any science questions they have. Gonna be a very busy few months, but I'll be getting some hands-on teaching experience and making some extra cash.

Ran 5 miles this morning, will probably do something medium-longish tomorrow, 7 or 8 miles, if I can drag myself out of bed early enough.

Awesome - small group tutoring is fun.  Did you have to teach or TA at all as a grad student?

From the Internet.

Awesome - small group tutoring is fun.  Did you have to teach or TA at all as a grad student?

I was a TA for one semester, dabbled in individual lectures here and there, but nothing quite like this before.

Philliefan33

8 mile LR for me this afternoon. It's my longest run since the 10-Mile race I did in May 2015.

Docket_Rocket

Congrats, Lauren!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page