Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 52 - Too Hot To Handle 5K and 15K (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2052%20Too%20Hot%20Too%20Handle%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 52nd race of 2018 was Too Hot To Handle 5K. There was also a 15K.  Held on July 15 at Boerne Lake City Park, a park in the Boerne TX area, which is about a 40-minute drive for me from my home in San Antonio.    This is a very popular event put on by local race management/coaching/and running store company iRun Texas.  Had to get up early for this one because everyone had to be in the park by 7 a.m. and then the races started at 7:30 a.m. For Texas summer in July we got really lucky for this one – I think Mitch Allen, co-owner of iRun used his magic powers for us, lol.  It was still a bit humid but we had overcast skies – last year’s race was brutally very sunny and very hot – a temp toward the lower end of the 70s and a nice breeze blowing occasionally.  I got to the park around 6:40 a.m.  Having already picked up my packet during the week – that included a bib with the timing chip already on it, love those bibs, don’t have to mess with picking up a separate timing chip – I just started wandering around getting some pre-start photos.

Start and finish line area

photo IMG_4338_zpslzkewuwd.jpg

With friend Manny and his lady, who brought out his Cow Tippin' BBQ truck and provided free sausage wraps post-race

photo IMG_4318_zpse2hafv60.jpg

photo IMG_4317_zpsn2yhrily.jpg

Massages pre-start and after the finish...

photo IMG_4391_zps7ukms28p.jpg

photo IMG_4320_zpsipaetbx5.jpg

photo IMG_4390_zpsdoi9zngr.jpg

Some views of the lake from the start area

photo IMG_4321_zpstmgfncjz.jpg

photo IMG_4322_zpsxhijkbto.jpg

photo IMG_4323_zpscbmmr8ig.jpg

Our MC Mark, doing his usual great job.

photo IMG_4324_zps2x8i77ef.jpg

Various Participants etc.

photo IMG_4319_zpsql0demqy.jpg

me and friend Don.  I am wearing the race shirt from a previous year.

photo IMG_4325_zpsytxtvcam.jpg

photo IMG_4327_zpsood4wamy.jpg

photo IMG_4328_zpsxudyajhx.jpg

photo IMG_4329_zpswreb28t3.jpg

photo IMG_4330_zps6mvkevbm.jpg

photo IMG_4332_zpsbvsjtl4r.jpg

photo IMG_4333_zpsboy8wlmu.jpg

These two are wearing the race shirt for this year.

photo IMG_4334_zpstkij9bc3.jpg

photo IMG_4335_zpsz7zy1ebj.jpg

photo IMG_4336_zpsbe8krpbb.jpg

photo IMG_4337_zps5be0i1ts.jpg

My friend Liza who, many years ago was on the New Zealand olympic running team. She did the 15K. I asked her what pace she planned and she told me about 6:18 per mile....was going to 'take it easy."  good grief.

photo IMG_4339_zpsrqrpz4z9.jpg

In the start area, waiting to start

photo IMG_4340_zpsqohstpsn.jpg

photo IMG_4341_zps7fgxfbt9.jpg

photo IMG_4342_zpsxp2b1ior.jpg

photo IMG_4343_zpsuoap8jqx.jpg

photo IMG_4344_zpskieqv4lr.jpg

ON THE COURSE

7:30 a.m. start was nice.   This course can be pretty brutal, especially for the people doing the 15K who have some major hills.  The 5K was not that bad, but still a challenging course with a combination of off-road and some paved street area. 5K and 15K started together. Flat run for the first short part near the park, then off-road and climbing right up a short but steep hill.  That took us onto an off-road pretty flat part for a bit but also somewhat rocky-in-places, so had to negotiate carefully through here.  How those really speedy front runners pick up any speed at all on a course like this I just do not get; more power to them!   Then down a short but steep hill, then flat again for a while, with a couple of small inclines.  Turned on a paves street where we again climbed for a bit, with the 5Kers making their turn-round on this road and back the way we had come out, while the 15Kers proceed straight on to their more challenging course.   I stopped along the way back for a couple more photos and then ran non-stop to the finish. And, of course, that uphill we started on was now a steep downhill to the finish, so had to be a bit careful going down that.  Finished with a time of 36:31, about two minutes slower than I do for a 5K on paved roads.  I was happy with that and just glad I was able to keep my old-man legs upright and did not fall down anywhere on the course, lol.  I did not place in my age group and did not expect too, as  before the start I had seen there some of the speedy old guys in my age group (60 – 64) and the top 3 in my age group all finished their 5Ks in 20-something.

After we climbed the first short hill up to the top of the 'dam' area, had some nice views of the lake

photo IMG_4345_zpssk3m1nlo.jpg

photo IMG_4346_zpseje0hali.jpg

Looking ahead of me where I will soon be...

photo IMG_4351_zpstitvplsl.jpg

This was on the other side of the dam area....

photo IMG_4353_zpseh2ffqz7.jpg

A bit rocky and uneven in places running up along here...had to be careful.

photo IMG_4347_zpslt5n9y71.jpg

Lil doggie doing her first 5K race

photo IMG_4348_zpsoyysm6n2.jpg

photo IMG_4349_zpszyuzwscc.jpg

photo IMG_4350_zpsdhjq1knf.jpg

photo IMG_4352_zpsxhqezrhs.jpg

photo IMG_4354_zps0v7j5be1.jpg

Paved road where the 5K turn-round was on

photo IMG_4355_zpsxmtammfx.jpg

photo IMG_4356_zpsuriebd7q.jpg

Orange cone, 5K turn round.  15K folks kept on going straight

photo IMG_4357_zpsphcw2usf.jpg

Made the turn-round, am now heading back to the finish

photo IMG_4358_zpswnz1azpp.jpg

photo IMG_4359_zpsambe5nia.jpg

These two are wearing the nice tech green caps that participants also got in their goody bags.

photo IMG_4360_zpstlrfzfqp.jpg

photo IMG_4361_zpsldnpmmny.jpg

photo IMG_4362_zpsrj5kprgf.jpg

This short steep hill was downhill on the way out.  This took us back up to the top of the dam area where we began heading back to the finish for the last half-mile or so

photo IMG_4363_zpstwkyyzfu.jpg

Looking behind me from the short hill

photo IMG_4364_zpsah4066vt.jpg

After that, nonstop to the finish.

AFTER MY FINISH

Iced-down towels at the finish which was nice.  Put that on my head and neck – very refreshing – got a bottle of water and just went and sat down for a while sipping the water and cooling off.  After that got some of the post-race goodies, which included sausage wraps from a food truck owned by a friend of mine, various types of fruits, and other stuff. Also sipped a low-cal Gatorade I had brought with me.  After that and feeling much refreshed, got some after-photos.

Went back near the start/end of the course and got the below.

This was the short steep hill that we climbed up at the beginning and then came down at the finish

photo IMG_4365_zpsabev4zcf.jpg

Then were were like this - silhouetted against the sky for a while as we ran along the top..

photo IMG_4367_zpsbwyuzuab.jpg

photo IMG_4368_zpsmd3grbdw.jpg

My friend Ralph down that hill and heading to the finish

photo IMG_4369_zps8lfrs4lq.jpg

Thank you volunteers!  They were by the start/finish hill

photo IMG_4370_zpsoh3c7hw5.jpg

With all-around great guy, Mitch, co-owner of iRun Texas

photo IMG_4371_zpsz1geoisg.jpg

photo IMG_4372_zps5q3dry9p.jpg

photo IMG_4375_zpswo7p7cwi.jpg

Relaxing at the pavilion with friend Moe, one of our local "greats" in our running community, past founder of Moe's Half Marathon, and much more that he did.

photo IMG_4374_zpsgdn5q3nm.jpg

Various participants, supporters, etc

photo IMG_4376_zps4fjyf4pe.jpg

One speedy lil lady here (wearing tutu) - finished the 5K on this course in 23 minutes.  Way to go!  The young man ran with his Dad and did really well too.  Congrats!

photo IMG_4377_zpsza79zhsf.jpg

Four speedy 'sisters"....   photo IMG_4380_zpsysqvio4z.jpg

photo IMG_4379_zpskkl5hpc9.jpg

photo IMG_4381_zpsyf1btpyx.jpg

photo IMG_4382_zpsgnqptqtm.jpg

photo IMG_4383_zpstvplyabi.jpg

This is one speedy family.  They did the 15K.   Liza's daughter, in red, was first in the 15K.

photo IMG_4384_zpsuavf59ht.jpg

In spite of falling down on that rocky part of the course and hitting her head, my friend Bernadette still came in 2nd in her age group for the 5K.

photo IMG_4385_zps7ehqy7n9.jpg

photo IMG_4386_zpsnmrlfpj7.jpg

Two of my speedy friends - Bernadette did the 5K; Eileen did the 15K.  both placed.

photo IMG_4387_zpsp7b0vv0j.jpg

photo IMG_4388_zpsqjzbplax.jpg

This little pup is so enthusiastic, lol

photo IMG_4389_zpsselybyxp.jpg

As of this year, this lovely lady has run every day for 10 years in a row!   Good grief!  More power to her!

photo IMG_4392_zps3kkillk8.jpg

The 3 speedy guys in my age group that all left me way behind, lol.

photo IMG_4393_zpsyyd2i2bt.jpg

Congrats, friend Jim!

photo IMG_4394_zpsodcxft1l.jpg

Two more speedy friends - 2nd and 1st  in the 65 - 69 age group, 5K

photo IMG_4395_zpsr6e8vn3x.jpg

photo IMG_4396_zpsai97jxl0.jpg

photo IMG_4397_zpsbivizfda.jpg

photo IMG_4398_zpswn5xmbau.jpg

photo IMG_4399_zpsv7dno4px.jpg

photo IMG_4400_zpsieyv7jw6.jpg

EPILOGUE

iRun always does a great job with their events and this one was no exception.  Very nicely organized, timing chipped bibs, nice tech tee race shirts, raffle drawings for pairs of New Balance shoes, post race massages, and all kinds of vendor booths and tables giving away all kinds of free stuff and good deals, and one of tbose self-photo camera thingys – ‘step on the red button, step back, wait 3 seconds and smile” – which me and some friends had a lot of fun with, lol – and post-race beer – served at 10 a.m., because of the Sunday ‘blue laws’ (stupid law in my opinion but have to live with until it gets changed hopefully someday).  And lots of other stuff.  The lake is also a nice venue.  Several people brought picnic lunches, stuff to grill, and so forth, and just made a day of it after the race.  Definitely will be doing this one again and certainly would recommend it to others.

Mucho thanks to all the people who made this one happen for we participants:  iRun Texas staff; all our sponsors and all the volunteers out there for us in whatever capacity; our MC, Mark who did his usual great job;  my friend Manny and his lovely lady for bringing out his Cow Tippin’ BBQ food truck and providing us all those free sausage wraps; the police officers who were out there for us; New Balance for sponsoring the new shoes raffle; and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you all so much for doing what you do so participants can do this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

That looks like a really scenic spot for a race--although it doesn't look very shady.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

That looks like a really scenic spot for a race--although it doesn't look very shady.

Hardly any shade at all, except right by the first water station.   Luckily for this one we had a lot of cloud cover.  The sun did not come out until we after we finished.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt