Beginners and Beyond

ITBS advice (Read 172 times)

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

As those who read either Penguins or regular Dailies may know, I've been dealing with my first IT Band injury this past week and a half. Thanks to grrat advice so far I have a new pink foam roller that I've been using 2-3 x's per day since Friday, and I've started doing myrtl hip strengthening exercises. I have another few questions for those who have had this.... how long did you need to rest from running, and what cardio crosstraining is ok? Elliptical? Spin class? Thanks! I took a week off and then ran a mile and a half and it put me back to square one so I want to make sure I don't run too soon but I want to stay in shape.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:21:47 (10/12/13)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Pinktastic

Kristin - I don't have any words of wisdom or anything, but I wish you a speedy and thorough recovery!!  Looking forward to seeing you back running again in no time!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Thanks pinktastic! I hope so too, especially for everyone around me, I'm so grouchy and whiny. lol

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:21:47 (10/12/13)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

My tendons hate me.

Hi Kristin - I so know what you're going through!  I mentioned in my pity party thread that strengthrunning.com is a great source for ITBS recovery info.  As for doing other activities, I'd say do whatever doesn't hurt.  Elliptical or swimming should be okay (but if it hurts, stop, of course).  Otherwise, ice, rolling, rest, NSAIDS (if they don't bother your stomach), strength exercises.  Stretching helps me in the short term, but since it's fascia, not muscle, I don't know how useful it is over the long term.

Good luck!  ITBS blows.

5K - 23:25 (10/11)

10K - 46:45 (6/12)

HM - 1:46:55 (5/12)

Marathon - 4:18:55 (Philly 11/12 in crippling pain) 

Pass the coffee.

Whatever doesn't hurt!

Make sure you're logging what helped your ITBS and what didn't.  After beating mine down a few years ago, it started to twinge back a little this Fall, and I was glad to have that reference handy.

The RWOL thread was helpful (if lengthy!) for ideas to treat, but it sounds like you're heading in the right direction.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

I'm battling a hip issue that's similar to ITBS (tensor fasciae latae) and it totally sucks. I don't really have any advice as I'm currently trying to figure out what works and what doesn't with regard to my own injury. I just want to say that I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Sad