Beginners and Beyond

Beautiful memories Updated with Pic of Dad. (Read 423 times)

Nevrgivup

So I was recently having a conversation about my father who inspired me to run and thought I would share. He started running in his 40's and was  an awesome runner. He ran a sub 19 5k and a sub 3 hour marathon, qualifying for Boston with his first attempt. He also loved to trail run. I remember growing up as a child watching him run his long runs early on the weekends and his shorter runs after work every day. He would run in all kinds of weather and would come home sweaty in the heat of summer and would have icicles hanging off his mustache in the dead of winter. There were collections of running shoes scattered about the house and I remember him doing his asana's in the basement to loosen his tired muscles up. We spent every Thursday night going to a weekly 5K where my father would run and we would all meet up for pizza after the race. Those were the days of races using popsicle sticks for times. Weekends were also consumed with going to races. I am so happy to say that I have carried the running torch and have beautiful memories of running Sunday mornings with my Dad. As I type this, it brings me great emotion, as I'm such a Daddy's girl. I can't imagine my life without him. Sadly, he gave up the sport after having a pretty bad achiles injury. He now loves to golf and play pool. He is my biggest cheerleader and I am so thankful that he gave me the gift of running. I'll try and dig up a photo to post some day as I'd love to share. Thanks for reading. Smile

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Love the Half

The vast majority of my 5Ks are still Popsicle stick races.  In fact, I haven't run a chip timed 5K in over a year.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Nevrgivup

The vast majority of my 5Ks are still Popsicle stick races.  In fact, I haven't run a chip timed 5K in over a year.

The races he used to run, I run now, and they are scanned and barcoded. The results automatically get sent to cool running and they are displayed on a big screen TV at the end of the race. They even take debit and credit cards now. LOL. 

That's very cool. If I have kids, I hope I can be an inspiration to them like your dad is to you. My doormen already know I will run in all sorts of crappy weather. The only question they ask is how many miles.

happylily

That was beautiful, Hilary. You are blessed to have such great memories of your dad and childhood. I do not have that luck.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Nevrgivup

That was beautiful, Hilary. You are blessed to have such great memories of your dad and childhood. I do not have that luck.

My childhood had its downs too. I'm just glad the good outweigh the bad. Thank you. I'm sorry. Sad

Nevrgivup

pic

This picture is what stirred up my thoughts today. Like many of us, he had a collection. Smile

Just B.S.

That really was beautiful Hilary!!

I hope someday our son tells his kids about running with us and running his frist marathon with his Dad at

age 16 in 3:50 of unrelenting downpours. Bonding experiences and memories like those are priceless.

Son and I did a few trail runs together this fall. It was wonderful just running thru the woods with him

talking and having fun.

Someday I want to be the uber-cool Grandmother taking Grandbaby out for a run in the jogging stroller!

I experienced something like this as well, but as an adult was able to right the wrongs that had been done on both sides of the fence, before my Dad passed on.  Lots of egotism, pride, fear, etc. had to be put aside for this to happen though.  I hope that eventually you will find peace in your relationship.

happylily

I experienced something like this as well, but as an adult was able to right the wrongs that had been done on both sides of the fence, before my Dad passed on.  Lots of egotism, pride, fear, etc. had to be put aside for this to happen though.  I hope that eventually you will find peace in your relationship.

Thank you. I still feel like I was a child victim. I have difficulty seeing the wrong that I, as a young child, could have done. Neither can I see the wrong that my baby sister could have done as a child. Yet, we both suffered at the hand of our father. I haven't seen him or talked to him for many years, now, and that is how I found peace for myself. Maybe I am wrong and I will regret it someday...

Sorry, Hilary. That was out of place in such a beautiful thread.

+1... Hilary, very happy that you and your father have these great memories.  Still run, but now you need to take up golf and pool lessons.

Nevrgivup

Thank you. I still feel like I was a child victim. I have difficulty seeing the wrong that I, as a young child, could have done. Neither can I see the wrong that my baby sister could have done as a child. Yet, we both suffered at the hand of our father. I haven't seen him or talked to him for many years, now, and that is how I found peace for myself. Maybe I am wrong and I will regret it someday...

No. I'm sorry if I stirred up something within you. Hugs. We're all friends. Hugs all around for good and both bad memories. Running is our place of peace. It is for me. 

happylily

Hilary, didn't you once post a pic of you and your dad, or am I imagining this? Hugs back to you, girl. :-)

Nevrgivup

Hilary, didn't you once post a pic of you and your dad, or am I imagining this? Hugs back to you, girl. :-)

I'll have to dig one up later today. I can't remember. 

Chairman

My dad inspired me to start drinking vodka. I have fond but very foggy memories of us splitting a handle on a trip somewhere in Vermont.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey