Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race Number 32: San Antonio Roadrunners Fiesta Fandango (Read 1 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2032%20SARR%20Fiesta%20Fandango?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 32nd organized race/run of 2018 was the San Antonio Roadrunners Fiesta Fandango 2.6 Mile Fun Run held on April 28th at 6:30 pm. This event is part of Fiesta San Antonio and is held on the same night as the Fiesta Flambeau Parade, the largest illuminated parade in the country.  Participants showed up first at the Sunken Gardens near the San Antonio Zoo, where race day registration and a costume contest was held.  This was my first pre-race stop and I got a few photos.

Then it was on to a waiting shuttle bus that took participants over to the start area, which was on Broadway, one of the main drags of downtown San Antonio.  The bus drops people off behind one of the staging areas of the parade, so as participants walk up to the start area, they get a nice view of some of the waiting floats, uniformed parade participants, and so forth.

ON THE COURSE

The run is held on the Flambeau Parade route.  So as we run along the route, literally thousands of spectators are already waiting for the parade to start and so are cheering on all the runners and walkers as we pass by them; it is quite a rush, and lots of fun, with us interacting sometimes with the crowd, getting cascarones (little arts-and-craft eggs with confetti in them) tossed at us, kids high-and-low fiving us along the way, and so forth.  The whole run is just a blast and the crowds are there the whole way, right to the very end. We pass by The Alamo, then go all the way down Commerce Street to Santa Rosa, where we make a turn and end up finishing near the Children’s Hospital in downtown.  We were supposed to start at 6:30-ish, but had some delay and didn’t actually get started until after 7 pm.   I think the parade was supposed to start a 7:20 or so. One of my friends asked me…what if the parade catches up to us while we are on the course, and I joked “Well, hop a ride on one of the floats and show the crowd your shoes.”  A joke, cuz the Fiesta Royal Court ladies wear these long gowns and you really can’t see their shoes, so sometimes the crowed calls “Shoe the shoes!” and so they oblige by pulling the dress up a bit and showing the shoes they are wearing, some of which are quite imaginative, lol.   Well, we finally did get going and once we were on the course, everything went pretty smoothly – at least from what I saw at any given time where I was.  The usual great crowd support, interacting with them and with each other on the course, lot of photos being taken, and so forth.  This event is just a blast to do.

On Alamo Street in front of The Alamo

Going down Commerce Street. Running right toward the sun, so it was bright in places and sometimes difficult to see ahead at times.

AFTER MY FINISH

After I finished, I went back out on the course, staying out of the way of the people still on the course and got a few photos of some others coming in.  Then it was off to the small park across the street where the after-party was, along with beer, sodas, water, cotton candy, popcorn, and a few various other goodies. The costume contest awards were given out here too.   I wandered around taking some photos, munching on goodies and sipping my beer.

EPILOGUE

I have done quite a few of these since I first arrived in San Antonio in 1994 and I plan on doing quite a few more as long as I can.  I think this was the 34t year for this event, but I may be mistaken on that.  This event is very well organized and usually goes off without a hitch.  However, this year there was some problem-or-other and so we had that long delay from the original planned start time.   The majority of people where I was pretty much kept their sense of humor about it all, making jokes, chanting stuff like ‘Let us go, let us go” and so forth, like we were at a big kind of protest rally a la the 60s and 70s, lol.  I never did find out what the actual delay was for.  A couple of the organizers up near the start front, to their credit, did try to explain it to us, but the sound system was just awful where I was in the crowd, and farther back so none of us could hear a darn thing they were saying. Maybe next year the need a bullhorn, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt