Beginners and Beyond

My First 1 Mile Race: I Stunk (Read 155 times)

LRB

I raced my first 1 mile event today finishing with a time of 6:11, a time that I am very disappointed in.

Being my first 1 mile race, I really had no idea of how it would go.  And now that's it is over, I still don't!

Man, it all happened so fast.  One minute I was standing there waiting for the start, the next I was running too flipping fast, the next I could sense my goal time of a sub-6:00 slipping away from me, the next I was just hanging on for dear life, and the next it was over.  Just like that!

After conferring with a couple of 1 mile B&B veterans, and some RA members at large, I decided to break the race up into quarters and try to run even splits.  That was all fine and dandy until the start of the race when I lost feel of my pace for only about 200 meters or so but apparently, that was enough to spell my doom.

My quarter mile splits were:1:31

1:36

1:36

1:25

I ran a lot faster than my first split indicates, ignorantly playing follow the leader at a 5:30 clip that first 200 meters, until finally finding my pace near the end of it.  Crap.

I also registered for and ran a 10k, which going into it I had no idea how I would feel after racing a mile.  Surprisingly, it really wasn't that bad.  I finished with a time of 44:07, knocking some 52 seconds off of my previous time.

My 10k mile splits were:

7:16

7:23

7:13

7:24

7:16

6:58

0:36

That I was able to go sub-7:00 in the sixth mile is a huge confidence booster.  This was my first 10k since December 2011, and up until recently it was a distance that puzzled me.  Training with Daniels however, I now appreciate how so perfect this distance is in terms speed, endurance, and lactate threshold training.

I will look to clean those splits up during my next one whether I race a mile beforehand or not.  I know I can do much better.

Some observations from my first event of the season:

Racing with a heart rate monitor is for the birds, the effin' thing kept sliding down.  That was the first and last time I will do that.

My Asics DST 18's were a joy to race in.  I used my green Superfeet inserts and had no issues whatsoever.

Where the mile is concerned, a months worth of training and struggles comes down to an event that lasts less than the time it takes to blink an eye!

I was complimented twice on how "smooth" and/or "effortless" my stride looked after the race.  I mean, that doesn't win me any age group bling, but I have worked extremely hard on my form and learing how to run loose and relaxed.  That a couple of my peers took notice was kind of cool, I suppose.

I had an unexpected FE (formite encounter) with a very pretty young lady...who also won her age group.

Lastly, as we always say race times are relative.  I have a tendency to set the bar high, but I expect to clear it with ease.  That I bonked my head on it and fell backwards today, it's okay.  I will head back to the lab and try to improve upon my time and strategy, while enjoying the highs and lows that training and racing brings in the process.

Docket_Rocket

Great job!  I also would not know how to race a 1 miler.  Great job shaving time feom your 10K

Did you take pictures with said mammal?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ball of Fury

For what it's worth, I think you did pretty damn awesome!!  Plus, you learned something, which is always a plus!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Don't call me Buttercup!

I think 6:11 is awesome, but I do realize it's all relative.   Great job on the 10K PR!

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Ric-G

Disagree with your title - you didn't stink. Congrats no matter what. If that's your first one mile race, that will make for some very useful experience in the future...sounds like you're already thinking about how to do it better next time. that's why racing 5ks are tough for me as the pacing is difficult to get right. I can only imagine that is magnified with a 1 miler. Also big congrats on the 10k pr. very cool that you hammered that last mile. Keep that train rolling.

marathon pr - 3:16

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

That sounds like the way a mile race can go Smile. The next one should be better.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

B-Plus

I wasn't sure if you were describing a 1-mile race or reminiscing about getting laid for the first time Big grin I have no comments on the 1-miler, since I haven't had my cherry popped yet, but I imagine that's how it would feel.

Great strong finish to your 10k. What do you think you can do when you clean up those splits? 7:10s? Ya, ditch the HRM for races.

Congrats on both PRs.

Jess runs for bacon

The mile is a weird race. I did terrible in mine, but would love to try again. I agree that the 10k is a great distance to run (possibly may favorite).

never run

Nice Job, and it was nice to have the "accidental" FE.  No we didn't take pictures.  Shy

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I don't think that was such a bad day at all.  It seems like the mile is just a race that you need experience in before you can really get your hands around it.  I also think you'd probably need some very specific workouts to really run a good mile.  That's not to say you can't do it on other training, but I think it would help.  I'm going to be in the same boat in a couple months so I'll have to remember you ran one to ask for advice.

As for the 10k, those were very good splits and a great finish.  Your training is definitely evident in the results there, and I'm sure you'll continue to set PRs at that distance for a while as you realize how much you can really push it.  The compliment you received on your form is really nice too (and not one I'm likely to get any time soon).  Keep up the good work!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

I told you you wouldn't get it right the first time. No one does.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                        wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Those splits aren't bad for a first time mile race. More typically they go like this: 1:25, 1:30, 1:35, 1:50 or 1:45, 1:40, 1:40, 1:20. Once you learn to hold back a little in the madcap start and maintain concentration so the middle two laps are more in line, you'll do fine.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Was it a road mile or a track mile?  Mine is going to be a road mile, and if Garmin doesn't cooperate, I'm afraid I'll just be flying by the seat of my pants.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

LRB

D, that was a mammal?  I want in!

Di, what up doe stranger.  Nice to see you still around!

Ric, I am my biggest critic, maybe when I resume training tomorrow I will put it in proper perspective, but at the time I was just disappointed.  I don't know how else to put it.  I mean at the two minute mark, my goal was gone.  Grrr.  Mentally though, I hung in there as best I could to not let the whole stupid thing fall apart so I guess that was good.

GK, yeah you were pretty adamant (not in a bad way) that it was going to be a tough nut to crack.  You kicked down some good tips too, thanks!

B-Plus, honestly?  7:08's.

George, so little room for error.  My next set of 12 X 400's at "R" pace will get special attention that's for sure.

SIAR, it was a road mile and thankfully there were no hairpin turns.  A good portion of the 10k was on soft trails or gravel, and despite my lack of interest in running on trails, I held my pace pretty good while on them.

Thanks everyone else!

YAYpril - B-Plus

I think you did great. I've never raced a mile but I imagine it's a miserable experience. Now you know what to expect for the next one. Smile