Beginners and Beyond

Focus (Read 103 times)

Love the Half

OK.  I have a lot of crappy running pics but just occasionally, I get a good one.  This is around the 8.5 mile mark of the 15 mile Charleston Distance Run and I'm looking very focused.  I like this one.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

Nice one, Brad.  Is the shirt wet?  I cannot tell from the picture.  Assuming the humidity of the day, yes?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

You look focused and determined. You look like a racer. And a good one too.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

YAYpril - B-Plus

That's a great picture.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Very cool picture, LtH. I bet you had a good beer or two that night.

delicate flower

Cool pic.  I am totally going to make a Fathead out of that.

<3

LRB

Spotted a Dogfish Head billboard 'eh?

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Spotted a Dogfish Head billboard 'eh?

LOL!!,!!!!

Randy

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Nice one!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Love the Half

Rich, Dogfish Head is unfortunately unavailable in West Virginia.  Dammit.  There are several problems we face.

Until a couple of years ago, the max alcohol content for beer in WV was 6%.  There are a lot of beers out there over 6% including many from breweries like Great Lakes that are barely over 6%.  Even so, it's still limited to 12% and there are plenty of beer out there, including some from Dogfish Head, that exceed 12%.  We're also a small state in terms of population.  We have about 1.8 million people in the entire state.  By way of comparison, Philadelphia alone has nearly that many and that's not including the metro area.  Our largest city has just over 50,000 people and our largest county has just under 200,000.  Moreover, those 1.8 million people are scattered around in hills and hollers and it's not easy to get product distributed.  We're also somewhat of a backward state in terms of tastes so craft beer is something you'll find appreciated in the "metropolitan" areas but nearly unavailable anywhere else.  Last, we have some onerous hoops that any brewer has to jump through if they want to sell their beer in this state and those hoops just aren't worth it if you won't end up selling more than a smidgen of beer.  It all adds up to a beer desert just slightly better than Alabama.

Damaris, the shirt is soaked and it was soaked before I ever started running.  Because of the temps and the humidity, I brought a bottle of ice water with me to the start.  Once I finished my warm up, I spent the next five minutes dumping water over my head.  A guy I was talking with after the race said he saw me just before the start and noticed how wet I was and thought, "oh boy, if he's sweating that much now, he's in trouble."  He didn't know that the reason I was so wet was from pouring the water on my head.

I used to take my shirt off around the 10 mile mark in this race but I have decided that keeping it on keeps me cooler than taking it off.  The shirt is soaking wet and that wetness stays pretty much stuck to your skin.  Beyond that, it provides a bit of shade.

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

Rick, Dogfish Head is unfortunately unavailable in West Virginia. 

They sell DFH at every basically corner store here, just say the word, and I will ship you however many you want.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

That's a great picture.  Don't get mad, but as soon as I saw the picture I thought of Don Flamenco from Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Rich, Dogfish Head is unfortunately unavailable in West Virginia.  Dammit.  There are several problems we face.

Until a couple of years ago, the max alcohol content for beer in WV was 6%.  There are a lot of beers out there over 6% including many from breweries like Great Lakes that are barely over 6%.  Even so, it's still limited to 12% and there are plenty of beer out there, including some from Dogfish Head, that exceed 12%.  We're also a small state in terms of population.  We have about 1.8 million people in the entire state.  By way of comparison, Philadelphia alone has nearly that many and that's not including the metro area.  Our largest city has just over 50,000 people and our largest county has just under 200,000.  Moreover, those 1.8 million people are scattered around in hills and hollers and it's not easy to get product distributed.  We're also somewhat of a backward state in terms of tastes so craft beer is something you'll find appreciated in the "metropolitan" areas but nearly unavailable anywhere else.  Last, we have some onerous hoops that any brewer has to jump through if they want to sell their beer in this state and those hoops just aren't worth it if you won't end up selling more than a smidgen of beer.  It all adds up to a beer desert just slightly better than Alabama.

Damaris, the shirt is soaked and it was soaked before I ever started running.  Because of the temps and the humidity, I brought a bottle of ice water with me to the start.  Once I finished my warm up, I spent the next five minutes dumping water over my head.  A guy I was talking with after the race said he saw me just before the start and noticed how wet I was and thought, "oh boy, if he's sweating that much now, he's in trouble."  He didn't know that the reason I was so wet was from pouring the water on my head.

I used to take my shirt off around the 10 mile mark in this race but I have decided that keeping it on keeps me cooler than taking it off.  The shirt is soaking wet and that wetness stays pretty much stuck to your skin.  Beyond that, it provides a bit of shade.

Good.  I thought I was the only one that did that sort of thing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Don Flamenco, OUCH.  This is a roast thread, right?  Smile

Nice pic, LTH.

Love the Half

That's a great picture.  Don't get mad, but as soon as I saw the picture I thought of Don Flamenco from Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

OK.  I had to google that.  Having done so, Big grin