Beginners and Beyond

Distracted SUNDAILIES (Read 260 times)

B-Plus

Step - Sounds like a perfect evening.

Tom - Keep the streak alive!!!

loco - I've also enjoyed running in daylight the last 2 days. I almost forgot how great it is.

RMTB - I'm glad you're on the mend, so you can take care of those sick kiddos. I'm sure it feels great to just eat. Thanks for the props.

PT - Do you snowboard often? I only go once or twice a year and I'm always reminded of muscles I forgot I even had. I'd be laid up on the couch right about now if I went boarding this morning. I'm glad you felt better after the massage.

Ami - It sounds like you found your shoe! Give us an update after you get some more miles on those.

SIAR - I was only half serious when I asked about the taste ... I didn't mean for you to look it up. Good to know though.

I ran 3.3 miles @ 9:32 to cap off a 73.6 mile week. Are you kidding me? I guess somebody's gotta do some serious mileage if RMTB is taking a rest week. I didn't know how many miles I would run when I set out, but after the first step I knew I had to keep it short. My legs are still a bit wrecked after yesterday's run at the end of an epic week. Hopefully, now I'm nice and loosened up for tomorrow.

B-Plus

I do not look at the watch a lot. Many of my runs are at night so at most I look at mile splits only. I would hate to dictate the pace by my watch. I wouldn't run. It sounds too stressful. Today, I didn't realize it was a progression run until I got home. I had a good idea of my pace though. A couple of the splits were not even faster. One was even and one was slower. 

Why do you want to do more progression runs?

You run the same way I do. Many of my runs are progressions in the sense that each mile get faster, but this is usually by maintaining pretty close to the same effort throughout and the faster splits are just from getting warmed up. This is in contrast to your traditional "progression run" as a workout type where you warmup for a bit, then run maybe X miles or minutes @ HMP, Y miles or minutes @ 10K pace, Z miles or minutes @ 5K pace, etc.

If you check out my run from yesterday, the first 9.7 miles progressively dropped from high to low 8s. This was not on purpose, but just from feeling better after getting warmed up. But when I dropped the hammer at the end into the low 7s, that was on purpose. I dunno, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

runmomto3boys

I do not look at the watch a lot. Many of my runs are at night so at most I look at mile splits only. I would hate to dictate the pace by my watch. I wouldn't run. It sounds too stressful. Today, I didn't realize it was a progression run until I got home. I had a good idea of my pace though. A couple of the splits were not even faster. One was even and one was slower. 

Why do you want to do more progression runs?

I like the idea of running faster miles on tired legs, like on the back half of my LRs and I know that some other guys from the marathon forum feel that they are really beneficial for that very reason.  I tend to have faster splits at the end of a lot of my runs and I call them progressive sometimes, but I'm not sure they technically are: yours are more textbook, w/each split getting just a hair faster. It's just one thing I'd like to do more of when I start training and that's why I asked how you manage them. 

B-Plus: Woohoooo!  That's how you do it, right there!  What a fantastic finish to a really strong week for you!  Bravo!  That's a really interesting explanation concerning how you manage to run progressive runs.  I appreciate the information/insight!  Thanks!

SUSchnauzer

Run Long, Hard, and Fast

I like the idea of running faster miles on tired legs, like on the back half of my LRs and I know that some other guys from the marathon forum feel that they are really beneficial for that very reason.  I tend to have faster splits at the end of a lot of my runs and I call them progressive sometimes, but I'm not sure they technically are: yours are more textbook, w/each split getting just a hair faster. It's just one thing I'd like to do more of when I start training and that's why I asked how you manage them. 

B-Plus: Woohoooo!  That's how you do it, right there!  What a fantastic finish to a really strong week for you!  Bravo!  That's a really interesting explanation concerning how you manage to run progressive runs.  I appreciate the information/insight!  Thanks!

I see. I can't give you advice on how to train for it. It just happens for me. Like B-Plus said, if you see a fast mile split or two at the end of a run, it is intentional. That is more of a test of stamina than a progression. I am gauging the effort of the run by seeing how much I have left in the tank. That is usually a low 7's or lower split. The 7:28 split today was not one of those instances.

To be fair, you run a lot more miles than I do right now. I am doing these runs on fresher legs. My last 3 runs have been 5, 7, and 10 miles. You will do that total in 1 day sometimes.

SUSchnauzer

Run Long, Hard, and Fast

You run the same way I do. Many of my runs are progressions in the sense that each mile get faster, but this is usually by maintaining pretty close to the same effort throughout and the faster splits are just from getting warmed up. This is in contrast to your traditional "progression run" as a workout type where you warmup for a bit, then run maybe X miles or minutes @ HMP, Y miles or minutes @ 10K pace, Z miles or minutes @ 5K pace, etc.

If you check out my run from yesterday, the first 9.7 miles progressively dropped from high to low 8s. This was not on purpose, but just from feeling better after getting warmed up. But when I dropped the hammer at the end into the low 7s, that was on purpose. I dunno, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Thank you. I couldn't have explained it any better. It is the same effort. The only difference for the faster splits is that I am warmed up.

runmomto3boys

That's really interesting!  Thanks for explaining it to me - I understand what you are saying. 

Thanks for the congrats guys Smile

Heidi - I mainly credit D^2 with the idea, but also just felt like going long today, so what the heck.  My favorite training spot has an 8-mile loop on rural roads and a 5.1 mile loop in a big park, so the desire to do each loop twice has been there for a while.

SIAR - Failure? No way.  According to google, the metallic taste may indicate that you're pregnant. Tongue

B+ - nice week!

workinprogress11

Congratulations to the racers and to the other crazy "I'm gonna run a marathon just because" guy Joking

I'm feeling better today.  I did 4 easy miles that I actually enjoyed which was a nice change of pace from the rest of the week.

Mmmmm...beer

Shirfan, great run!  Maybe we'll start a trend Smile

6.3 miles @ 8:36/mile done, I swear i was trying to go slow! lol 

PR for weekly mileage for me too, 72.9, woohoo!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Purple Toes

Step - Sounds like a perfect evening.

Tom - Keep the streak alive!!!

loco - I've also enjoyed running in daylight the last 2 days. I almost forgot how great it is.

RMTB - I'm glad you're on the mend, so you can take care of those sick kiddos. I'm sure it feels great to just eat. Thanks for the props.

PT - Do you snowboard often? I only go once or twice a year and I'm always reminded of muscles I forgot I even had. I'd be laid up on the couch right about now if I went boarding this morning. I'm glad you felt better after the massage.

Ami - It sounds like you found your shoe! Give us an update after you get some more miles on those.

SIAR - I was only half serious when I asked about the taste ... I didn't mean for you to look it up. Good to know though.

I ran 3.3 miles @ 9:32 to cap off a 73.6 mile week. Are you kidding me? I guess somebody's gotta do some serious mileage if RMTB is taking a rest week. I didn't know how many miles I would run when I set out, but after the first step I knew I had to keep it short. My legs are still a bit wrecked after yesterday's run at the end of an epic week. Hopefully, now I'm nice and loosened up for tomorrow.

Thanks, B-Plus! I can't believe how much better my muscles feel already. I may need to make this a more regular practice. As for the boarding, no, I don't go often. Quite the opposite in fact (photographic proof in Fuzzy's thread 'Running in this today'!)  I tried last year on my kids' boards (the basic kind from Target, etc) and I failed miserably. But for some reason today I was determined to get down our hill just once without falling. After some instruction from my kids I finally succeeded. Now I'm kinda hooked! I may even take some lessons at a nearby resort. 

Oh, and way to kick butt on your high mileage week. 73.6 miles is insane! Hope your legs feel better by tomorrow.

Jenven

RMT3B - Ugh. Hope everyone gets better soon!

Started C25K on 9/6/12. First 5K set for 1/13/13.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Jedi-  You're not one of those who tacks on .1 when you have a 13 mile run?  ; )  Happy runniversary!  You've accomplished quite a lot in 3 years!

Kristin - Always!Smile 3.1, 6.2, 9.3, 12.4, 13.1, and 18.6.Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???