Beginners and Beyond

Introduction (Read 110 times)

Reebokabec

Hi! My name is Becky and I've been a longtime lurker. I enjoy reading RRs and learning great tips from other runners. I particularly like the mix of veteran and novice runners in this group, so I finally decided to join.

A little bit about me: I am 42 and I've been running for about 5 years now. My mileage is fairly low with an average of about 15 MPW. That works for me since I really only run 5k races at this point and so far I'm happy with that. I decided long ago that I would do an every other day schedule. I felt that would help me to stick with my schedule with little pressure and I would be more likely to continue. So far that has worked very well for me.

You won't find anything in my training log right now. Unfortunately I have not been running since the end of June. I'm experiencing my first major injury, so I am currently on the DL (herniated disc). So for now I will have to live vicariously through others running experiences until I can once again get out there. It could be a long time, so keep the RRs coming!

Thanks for reading!

Becky

happylily

Hi Becky! Welcome aboard! Thank you for the introduction. I hope that your injury heals quickly and that we can soon read your own 5k RRs!Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Welcome!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Rondog65

Welcome Becky.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

SheCan

Hi Becky!  Glad you came out of lurking and introduced yourself.  Yikes@ you having your first major injury.  I hope you heal up soon, and that we can keep you inspired until you're up and running again.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Hi!

Marjorie

Will run for scenery.

Hi Becky.

Ouch on the disc!  I hope that gets cleared up soon.

It's great to see new "faces" around here, so don't be shy about posting.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Hip Redux

Hi Becky!  I responded to your disc thread over in the main forums.

Is that a greyhound in your avatar??

Yugo18

Hello from another new poster!  Let's both make sure to actually keep posting!  Big grin

RSX

Welcome Becky and Corsdelia. Becky I hope that you aren't on the DL long.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Welcome indeed!

You're in the right place.  We're the best group of folks on the planet.  Just ask any one of us......we'll confirm it!  Cool

Randy

tracilynn

Hello!  Sorry to hear about the injury

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Welcome Becky!  I hope that you heal up quickly and are back to running again soon!

Antipodean

Hi Becky, you seem to be at a similar stage in your running to me a couple of years ago. I'm 45 now and after a spate of injuries I do pilates and this year I've been ramping it up and have got to over 20 miles a week. Now I'm getting ready for my first half at the end of September. I was happy for ages on about 10 - 15 miles/week, but at this stage in my life decided I wanted to do this and see if I like it.

Good luck for you getting through this injury and getting back to training. Welcome.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Love the Half

Welcome to our usually friendly, sometimes dysfunctional, occasionally entertaining, frequently kind of boring, family.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).