Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES: Mirror Mirror On The Wall, Am I The Smartest Of Them All? (Read 51 times)

Docket_Rocket

I read.  Many famous athletes have done some of the marathons while I'm there but I never get to see them. Cry

Plus my husband takes me through the expos like there is a fire....

Deena Kastor is running that one, jealous!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Greetings from beautiful Slovenia.

Flying home tomorrow after a weeklong business trip traveling around Europe. It was a challenge to get runs in, but I managed to get 5 miles in on Monday, and 10 miles today. Glad I brought my gear (including hat & gloves...).

Dave

Pinktastic

DaveP - What a beautiful view!   Thanks for sharing!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Docket_Rocket

It's gorgeous!  I have not visited Slovenia but it looks like I would love it.

Flying home tomorrow after a weeklong business trip traveling around Europe. It was a challenge to get runs in, but I managed to get 5 miles in on Monday, and 10 miles today. Glad I brought my gear (including hat & gloves...).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Beautiful place Dave. Have a safe trip home.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

LRB

There is always something bad sitting at the fax machine in this office.  It drives my coworkers nuts but I say no every time.  They all think I am crazy.

Docket_Rocket

LOL.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Afternoon, Dailies!

Well, the training at work went a little longer than planned, but I still got out at a reasonable time. 5 mile completed with 2 X 1600 at around 5k to 10k pace. A little slower than I might have run them, but not bad.

Overall pace for the 5, including the slowish warmup mile - 8:56. Legs feel slightly fatigued, so it was a good run.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

StepbyStep-SH

My plan was for 6 easy miles on the indoor track.

Did I say "easy" run? emo-blush Note to self: A grande Starbucks just before the run + music instead of podcasts on the indoor track = tempo run, not easy. 8 miles in 1:08 (8:30 overall pace, which just happens to be my goal marathon pace for May). I do not normally run with music; I listen to podcasts on the TM or indoor track most times, and don't use the iPod at all when running outside. But this makes me wonder if it might be helpful to have it available toward the end of my marathon. Something I will ponder in the weeks to come. But today was fun!

And then our strength class instructor apparently decided that we needed to help her burn off the margaritas from her week in Mexico - tough, but good.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

...But this makes me wonder if it might be helpful to have it available toward the end of my marathon. Something I will ponder in the weeks to come. But today was fun!

Speaking for myself, nothing I heard in my headphones during the last few miles of my first marathon made a difference.  As a matter of fact, I would classify it at noise at that point not music.

I was in so much agony, that I just wanted the stupid race to be over.

I ran my second without headphones but I cannot say that one is better than the other.  As with most things running, it comes down to personal preference.

DCDan78

Good evening dailie-ites -

I'm relatively new here, but you all seem to be a welcoming bunch!

According to my schedule as of last week, I was supposed to be in a car heading to my first HM to take place on Saturday today.  Sadly the HM is still going on, but work got in the way for me and so I'm here turning my attention instead to a 10K next week and 10 miler in April.  Trying to force my way away from of the running blues.

So today was 3 miles, a bit faster than intended (but still slow for most I expect).  I also did about 15 minutes of weights afterwards.  I'm hoping the rain stays away for my planned 5 tomorrow.

StepbyStep-SH

Speaking for myself, nothing I heard in my headphones during the last few miles of my first marathon made a difference.  As a matter of fact, I would classify it at noise at that point not music.

I was in so much agony, that I just wanted the stupid race to be over.

I ran my second without headphones but I cannot say that one is better than the other.  As with most things running, it comes down to personal preference.

In your first, did you listen to music for the whole thing? I think that would get annoying. I'm thinking more about taking the iPod, but not actually using it until I'm down to the last 10 or even 6 miles. Hmmm....

FWIW - I've run 8 marathons, 2 50ks and a 24-hour race without tunes and been fine. Just wondering if there might be an added boost when I start to drag.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Luke79

What up peeps.

5 miles @ 10:47, trail.  My foot started hurting pretty bad (arch, ball AND heel) so I walked for about 20 seconds, then did the whole alphabet with your foot deal for about 30 seconds.  The pain just melted away when I did that.  I resumed my run and completed it without issues.  There's something there, like a tightness, but I was able to transcend the PF...at least today.  That's encouraging.

LRB

In your first, did you listen to music for the whole thing? I think that would get annoying. I'm thinking more about taking the iPod, but not actually using it until I'm down to the last 10 or even 6 miles. Hmmm....

FWIW - I've run 8 marathons, 2 50ks and a 24-hour race without tunes and been fine. Just wondering if there might be an added boost when I start to drag.

Ah I got cha.  With your experience, that may be just the ticket for ya!  Yes, I ran the whole thing with music.

LRB

Luke, what's the alphabet thing?