Beginners and Beyond

Pity party (Read 102 times)

tracilynn

I'm sorry. It's not a fun place to be for sure.

~~~~~~~

Traci

StepbyStep-SH

True, and she knows this already.

Hang in there, Step.  Many of us have spent extended periods of time on the DL and certainly understand what you are going through.  I do find it interesting that you are allowed to swim.  My doc told me absolutely no swimming until my knee fully healed.  I was biking and using the elliptical long before I was allowed to swim (not that I swim anyway).  

What ligaments did you tear? They have basically just told me "no impact". Though it may be that right now they are of a mindset that I can't really hurt it that much more between now and surgery? Swimming doesn't seem to bother it, though attempting some deep water exercise, which put sideways pressure on the legs, did cause it to hurt later that night.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Hip Redux

Awesome, Oski! (Which, BTW, would be a great name for you: The Awesome Oski.)

Big grin

Another good question if you are leaning towards surgery - ask what you can do beforehand to get ready.  I actually did a round of PT before surgery and it was quite helpful.

hog4life

I'm sorry to hear this Step, hopefully you will get the answers you need to make your decision comforting.

I like the percentage type questions too.

delicate flower

What ligaments did you tear? They have basically just told me "no impact". Though it may be that right now they are of a mindset that I can't really hurt it that much more between now and surgery? Swimming doesn't seem to bother it, though attempting some deep water exercise, which put sideways pressure on the legs, did cause it to hurt later that night.

Full tear of ACL, partial tears of MCL and LCL, meniscus torn in two places, microfractures to the tibia.  I was told no impact, nothing that pulls on the knee (swimming), and only linear movements.

You'll drive yourself crazy looking ahead to when you can run without restrictions again.  My advice is to just look forward to each little milestone.  Each appointment, each PT session, each day you're allowed to do something else is a step forward.  Do what you can do today.  Don't think too far ahead.

<3

StepbyStep-SH

Full tear of ACL, partial tears of MCL and LCL, meniscus torn in two places, microfractures to the tibia.  I was told no impact, nothing that pulls on the knee (swimming), and only linear movements.

You'll drive yourself crazy looking ahead to when you can run without restrictions again.  My advice is to just look forward to each little milestone.  Each appointment, each PT session, each day you're allowed to do something else is a step forward.  Do what you can do today.  Don't think too far ahead.

And you are back running and skiing. This makes me feel much better.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

MothAudio

Nice list! Fingers crossed Shari.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile