Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday (Read 41 times)

Cyberic

It's not so much the temps, well, it wasn't for me, but the sun is beating down on your right temple the entire time. It's like a boxer being punched repeatedly in the same spot during a 15 round fight. Eventually, he folds.

While the shots to the temple delivered by the sun were making me dizzy, the hooks to the liver delivered by the multiple hills  took away my legs.

GC100k

I didn't get Arrival until I was leaving the theater. Then, it hit me like a ton of bricks! Great movie, you just had to pay attention.

Now I'm curious. What was there to "get"?

Docket_Rocket

Exactly, I was like whoop si do.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I found it boring and predictable, but yeah.  Same reaction.

I LOVED Arrival, one of my favorite movies of the last few years.

Boring? Well I suppose a bit slow moving if you're accustomed to an explosion every 5 minutes. Predictable? There is NO WAY you predicted how that thing turned out! If I have to describe what I'm talking about, it's a spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Dave

So, the picture. Probably anticlimactic after all that buildup. This was my first marathon, for which I was criminally undertrained. Hit the wall around 18, and death-marched it the rest of the way. I felt like I was on wooden posts. Basically every muscle group below the waist was on the verge of seizing up, and I seriously thought I was doing long term damage to myself. I had been trying to put on a good face for the photographers, but for this one I decided to show exactly how I felt.

Dave

GC100k

Boring? Well I suppose a bit slow moving if you're accustomed to an explosion every 5 minutes. Predictable? There is NO WAY you predicted how that thing turned out! If I have to describe what I'm talking about, it's a spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

I liked it. I didn't predict what happened, but it was consistent with the way things are going and what happens in a Lost, Heroes, Bill and Ted kinda world (did I give away the spoiler?). There wasn't really a big twist or reveal, more of an unfolding. Again, I liked it, but I found the ending a little cloying or cornball.

LRB

This is essentially a spoiler of a kick ass suspense flick but whatever, you asked...

Basically, her telling of the story over the course of the movie of her daughter dying from cancer came across as a recollection, when in fact it had not happened yet. The father of the daughter realizes at the end of the movie that she knew their daughter would die, yet she chose to have her anyway, which is why he got pissed. What was to get was that the aliens asked her to use the gift (which was misconstrued/mistranslated as use the weapon, and they were subsequently attacked and one of them killed) to help prevent their destruction. The gift was her ability to see into the future, which is how she was able to tell the Chinese general what his wife's dying words would be, and thus saved the aliens from wait for it...their destruction.

I didn't figure it all out until I was leaving the theater. It was an incredible moment of clarity, and as a result I would rate the movie a solid 5 stars. The twist was expertly planned and executed. Great fucking movie!

I didn't figure it all out until I was leaving the theater. It was an incredible moment of clarity, and as a result I would rate the movie a solid 5 stars. The twist was expertly planned and executed. Great fucking movie!

If you haven't re-watched it, you should. I actually may have enjoyed it more the second time, knowing the big picture. The first time, some of the scenes drag as they don't seem to have much of a point; the second time, you realize why it's there.

Dave

RunningOnSand

So, the picture. Probably anticlimactic after all that buildup. This was my first marathon, for which I was criminally undertrained. Hit the wall around 18, and death-marched it the rest of the way. I felt like I was on wooden posts. Basically every muscle group below the waist was on the verge of seizing up, and I seriously thought I was doing long term damage to myself. I had been trying to put on a good face for the photographers, but for this one I decided to show exactly how I felt.

I think this picture is so awesome bc it totally personifies the pain that so many of us are so familiar with!

Docket_Rocket

I knew it around halfway through the movie. Predictable if you were really paying attention.  

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Coastal

I was going to cast another vote for The Pic, but no need.  Maybe I should call 911?  Yeah, it sums up an all too familiar feeling....

6 miles of crap on the Y's indoor track.  18 laps per mile.  Counted them, on my fingers.  All the remaining TM's were being used.   A herd of little kids got loose and came charging full speed right toward me.  Had to use my teacher voice and get them turned around and going in a safe direction.  It was then that I noticed the two parents....  Fortunately they apologized and cooperated in keeping the herd flowing the right way.  Collisions happen and that isn't a good place for them.  One little girl went zipping by one time and ran right out of her shoes.  It was cute.

LRB

If you haven't re-watched it, you should. I actually may have enjoyed it more the second time, knowing the big picture. The first time, some of the scenes drag as they don't seem to have much of a point; the second time, you realize why it's there.

I hadn't thought about that. I will. Thanks. 👍

LRB

I knew it around halfway through the movie. Predictable if you were really paying attention.  

Oh yeah? Well you were the only one, in the universe!

RunningOnSand

I was going to cast another vote for The Pic, but no need.  Maybe I should call 911?  Yeah, it sums up an all too familiar feeling....

6 miles of crap on the Y's indoor track.  18 laps per mile.  Counted them, on my fingers.  All the remaining TM's were being used.   A herd of little kids got loose and came charging full speed right toward me.  Had to use my teacher voice and get them turned around and going in a safe direction.  It was then that I noticed the two parents....  Fortunately they apologized and cooperated in keeping the herd flowing the right way.  Collisions happen and that isn't a good place for them.  One little girl went zipping by one time and ran right out of her shoes.  It was cute.

That sounds nightmarish. Nice job on reigning them in!

zzyzx

HA, that's an interesting pic.  You've got on a warm top, warm pants, and warm hat, yet your hands are exposed.  The hands are the first thing I have to keep warm.  I have many runs in shorts, t-shirt, and gloves.

Gloves ended up in my pocket by mile 2. The hat doubles as bluetooth headphones so I like it Smile