Beginners and Beyond

RR - Snohomish River Run Marathon - 10/15/2017 (pics added) (Read 51 times)

And this was certainly the definition of "race day magic". It was indeed magical. Normally I would have included in my report stuff about the isolated stretches of the race, spots on the course which were poorly marked or needed someone directing traffic, issues with coordinating my gel schedule with the water stops, having to fight through the slower 4-across half runners we joined for the latter part of the race, etc. But when things are going good, none of that shit matters.

Man, you killed it.  Congratulations on all the accomplishments you knocked out with this race.  I really love what you said here.  It's so true, and kind of the essence of how reflection on a good race goes.  Congrats.

Cyberic

I knew it, we all knew it. It just makes complete sense that you'll get to toe the starting line in Hopkinton.

You deserve every minute of that BQ, sir!

Liked the RR, too.

Amusing anecdote: I never use pacers because I'd rather run my own race. Plus they are notoriously unreliable - of course there are some very good ones, maybe the majority, but it only takes one bad one to ruin your whole day and destroy months of training. Worse than official pacers however are unofficial ones. Chatting with a guy at the start, I told him my goal. He offered to pace me; I said sure, knowing I would do my own thing anyway. He ends up pulling way ahead of me by mile 2, and after a while I can't even see him. Until I catch up to him at mile 12; he says "I'm cramping up, go get it, you're doing great!". Thanks bud.

Ha. Here's the guy, shortly after the start, explaining how he's going to pace me. Could I possibly appear less interested in his offer?

The charging-towards-the-finish-line grimace. The crowds are going wild! The woman behind me appears to have an enormous headache, because she just finished a 2:53 half.

Dave

LRB

Ha. Here's the guy, shortly after the start, explaining how he's going to pace me. Could I possibly appear less interested in his offer?

lol - That's awesome!

delicate flower

This is so great.  You definitely have the look of "Can't this guy just STFU already?"  It looks like the guy in red behind you is watching both sides of the road at once.

<3

Cyberic

Hahaha, looking straight ahead like what matters is definitely not on my left.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

I'm behind on my forum reading, and just now saw this thread.  Wtg Dave.  You've chased it hard, and it's great that you caught it.

Runner with a riding problem.