Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Siclovia 5K (Read 25 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

The Details

My 53rd race of 2014.  Siclovia 5K was part of Siclovia, a free event that turns major city streets in to a safe place for people to exercise and play.The streets become temporarily car-free for about 5 hours on Sundays for families to run, ride bikes, take exercise classes and enjoy their city streets.  In San Antonio, the YMCA puts on the Siclovia event.  On Sep 28, 2014, Broadway, a major venue that leads to downtown San Antonio, was closed for San Antonio's Siclovia event. The 5K helps support future events.  The 5K started things off at 8 a.m.  About 200 - 300 runners and walkers.   Weather was beautiful...63 degrees, dew-point in the low 60s, clear skies, and some sunshine.    I ended up with a chip time of 33:39, for 4th in my age group (60 - 69).

Before The Start

Start and finish for the runners was at Alamo Plaza.

Race Day volunteers

Participants, supporters, et al...

Humana was one of the major sponsors

Getting ready to start...

On The Course

Out-and-back.  Started on Alamo Street in front of The Alamo, did a turn to get onto Broadway, went down Broadway to a turn-around just a little past Grayson Street (near running specialty store "Run Wild") and then back the way we came.  It was quite interesting to see Broadway 'wide open', with no traffic except for police vehicles.

A couple of the folks cheering on the runners and walkers

We had a nice view of Tower of the Americas as we headed back to the finish

After The Finish

Small event, so mainly just water and some fruits post-race.   I had some water and then just wandered around taking photos of  "Happy Finishers" , volunteers, and supporters.   There were also some colorful vendors  in Alamo Plaza for the Siclovia event.

The young man on the left ran so darn fast he was still 'steaming' when I took this.. ....OK, so I'm an idiot and forgot to wipe my lens..

We were visited today by a couple of  'shining faces' angels...

Our "Sound and Music Master"

This fellow was on of the Speedy Walkers and got a medal in his age group in the Walkers category

photo 065_zps6a7ae9b1.jpg

One of my 'running crushes" , Ceci, and her iaapweb.com company had this booth advertising and doing registration for the upcoming Dia de los Muertos 5K, a very popular night-time event in San Antonio.

Ceci and her iaap family go all out for this one...

Me and another running friend, Adrian, joining the fun...

This was one of the vendors at the Alamo Plaza, selling 'replica' artifacts of The Alamo time period.

Epilog

Very nice event.  Nice course (very flat), lots of friendly people and start and finish is right across the street from San Antonio Riverwalk, so  if you're so inclined, you can go enjoy breakfast at one of the several Riverwalk patio restaurants.  Definitely would do this one again.   Mucho thanks to all our law enforcement folks and race volunteers out there for us, to iaapweb.com for doing course set up, chip timing, etc, and to the YMCA for putting this one on.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

Looks like this guy is dancing.

Nice report Scotty!  I love the jackets and long sleeves at the beginning in 63 degree temps.  lol

GinnyinPA

Given how heavy traffic usually is down by the Alamo, it must have been fun to see the area empty.  Did you end up getting breakfast at Riverwalk or stopping at the Brewery?

Docket_Rocket

Nice report, Scotty!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Another well done double.

happylily

Nice pictures, Scotty! Some are scary...  I've never seen the real Alamo. That's one thing I'd love to see eventually.

Congratulations!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

The Alamo! Cool!