Beginners and Beyond

Weekend Penguins (Read 14 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

I managed to run a mile yesterday.  I'm looking at 3 for today and 10 tomorrow.  The 10 tomorrow will be the longest run I've done since I ran the half in May.  I think it'll be a sufferfest but I'll take it slow.

Yesterday we did the home inspection.  The sellers have agreed to make the one major repair that we need.  We'll cover the smaller/less vital things once we close.  So it looks like we'll be home owners come September.  We'll officially sign the purchase agreement on Monday or Tuesday to get the ball rolling on financing. :-)  I also discovered that the house is literally a two minute walk from the YMCA.  So no need for a home treadmill and there's an indoor heated pool there... so double victory on that front.  :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Had Barre class this morning and have 9 to run tonight. We'll see if i can run the full 9 as I am supposed to meet a friend before she heads to the airport and I might run late.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I did go back to sleep after Gail got up a little before 5 to go to yoga.  Ended up getting out of bed at 6:45.  Went to Lackland Air Force Base for a run/walk.  Putting my change of clothes in the locker, found out I forgot to pack some pants in my bag to change into...duhhh!  Since I don't think the base police would appreciate me walking around the base in my underwear, I made a quick trip over to the base exchange, which was thankfully open, and bought a pair of shorts.  Back to the gym and finally got my run/walk in, which turned out pretty good, ended up with 3.7 miles and I did ran up-and-down 4 of the 5 pedestrian overpasses on the base, getting in a little bit of 'hill" work.  Because of my later start, however, it was VERY humid out there and I was soaked by the time I got back; and also not too speedy - I felt like "the reason" for the goo between an elephant's toes during an elephant stampede:  slow runner.    All good though, got it done.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Jill, congrats!

I ran 8 today.

GinnyinPA

Jill = congratulations.  I hope you really enjoy your new house.  One thing - watch out for how they do the major repair.  We found that previous owners would do the cheapest possible fix in order to satisfy the requirement.  We ended up having to redo it.  When we sold our house, we gave them a discount in the amount it would take to do the job right, so they were responsible for the quality of the fix.

We're still in Canada, but starting to head homeward.  I haven't done much running the past 10 days, due to a toe problem (probably ingrown toenail).  Too painful to run or do a lot of hiking.  Still, the scenery is gorgeous and we've seen bears the past three days, which is always fun.

Docket_Rocket

Ended up not running last night cause I got home late.  I have 16-18 miles today.

Congrats, Jill.

Scott, it's hard to run without pants.

Z, nice 8.

Ginny, sounds like a great vacation.  Enjoy!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Resilient is the word LRB used for today's dailies.   Resilient was the word today, all right, lol.  I went out to Government Canyon Natural Area, a state park in the local San Antonio area, a pretty park with many trails.  Planned on doing about 3.2 miles/35 minutes, whichever came first.   I ended up doing  5 miles in an hour and 5 minutes, zowie.  I took the 'long' trail, thinking it would intersect with the shorter trail at several places.  WRONGO!   The dang trail just kept going and going and going - and since I am too darn stubborn, lol, to turn around and go back the way I come out, I just kept going too, determined to find the end of this darn loop; which I finally did - and the trail was very rocky in many places, causing me to slow way down, so I averaged around 13-minute miles - but my stubborn self finally did find the end of that blasted trail - and then I ran about another half mile back to the parking area. That was one long haul for a slow old guy, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

Resilient is the word LRB used for today's dailies.   Resilient was the word today, all right, lol.  I went out to Government Canyon Natural Area, a state park in the local San Antonio area, a pretty park with many trails.  Planned on doing about 3.2 miles/35 minutes, whichever came first.   I ended up doing  5 miles in an hour and 5 minutes, zowie.  I took the 'long' trail, thinking it would intersect with the shorter trail at several places.  WRONGO!   The dang trail just kept going and going and going - and since I am too darn stubborn, lol, to turn around and go back the way I come out, I just kept going too, determined to find the end of this darn loop; which I finally did - and the trail was very rocky in many places, causing me to slow way down, so I averaged around 13-minute miles - but my stubborn self finally did find the end of that blasted trail - and then I ran about another half mile back to the parking area. That was one long haul for a slow old guy, lol.

Lol that sounds like an attitude I know all too well! Smile Nice run!

Congrats on the house Jill! Big grin Very exciting!

We went away to New Hampshire for a few days - DH's aunt and uncle own a little lake house so we crashed there starting Wednesday night, and then we had a big family potluck thing on Saturday before we packed up and headed back to civilization. No wifi, barely any cell phone service, no TV, closest grocery store was 16 miles away. It was nice to unplug for a few days, that was the longest vacation I've had in probably 10 years, maybe even longer!

I ran a bunch while I was up there, it was super hilly so I'm a little bit beat and looking forward to my rest day tomorrow. 19 done this morning, 8:52 pace - slow start for my creaky stiff legs between the hills and the long drive last night, but settled into a rhythm eventually.