Beginners and Beyond

It's Thursday. Let's show some hustle. (Read 44 times)

Cyberic

Ceramic tiles are more useful, no?

Onemile, that's the most badass key chain ever made! Congratulations!

I'm going to see a chiropractor client of my husband's. I'll have some evaluation to make sure I'm right on the diagnosis, and if so, he will do platelet rich plasma (PRP) therapy for me. Apparently it's had really good results for pro hockey players.  Pretty sure insurance will tell me to fuck right off if I try to get that covered, hence the need for a hookup. Dave, yeah. This is mild enough it only messes with running, I can deal at the moment with ADL stuff, but if it gets worse, it's horrible.

Unless I do have a stress fx, in which case I'm a moron for not getting the $12 race insurance because I just flushed $200 on the LA marathon 

LRB

This came in the mail today

I have bling from every distance I've ever raced, except the marathon. Nicely done, especially on that course!

LRB

According to the interwebs, if you ignore it, it gets chronic and becomes very difficult to treat.

I would ignore the interwebs.

Unless I do have a stress fx, in which case I'm a moron for not getting the $12 race insurance because I just flushed $200 on the LA marathon 

JHC. Isn't that more expensive than Boston? That would suuuuuck. Anyway, I don't feel so bad now for forfeiting my $10 5k.

Dave

oldfartrunner

LM: Sorry to here that. Sad  You sure don't want to mess with that. Hope you can get it healed up.

Dave: Pretty well what CY said. Many times if you can back off intensity and mileage, it will heal on it's own. Once it is cooled down rehab to get the butt and hammy working together is recommended. I like these guys about how to teat a hammy. They have several videos. Mine is really screwed up cause I didn't take it easy and back off.  Now I have to work on it constantly, but I'm hopeful the rehab will take this time. Got to be real careful about stretching it, cause it will re-injure it.  Been there several times. It's a fine line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUQ86Ok69gY

Onemile: Nice hardware!

KCRuns

LM: ugh. I know there are folks on the forum who have talked about that condition.

My nightmare in general is needing surgery for an injury which prevents me from running, but doesn't affect my daily life otherwise. (I realize this is not exactly the case for you.)  I thought I was going to need to deal with that a few years ago when I was told I had a meniscus tear. But fortunately turned out it was misdiagnosed, and eventually just got better on its own.

So for those of you who have dealt with hamstring and/or hip flexor issues - did you have to take time off, or just keep things easy for a while? I would naturally greatly prefer doing the latter.

Dave, I’ve been dealing with a hip flexor issue, some type of strain or sprain or something. I took a full week off and then kept my miles short and easy for a month or so.  I’ve taken lots of rest days, basically anytime it felt worse than before my run that day I would take the next day off. It’s taken me about 6 weeks to be able to run without any pain or discomfort. I think if I’d taken 10-14 days off upfront it wouldn’t have taken so long to heal. A lot depends on the severity of your injury, but definitely keep your miles easy for a while.

GinnyinPA

I've had hamstring issues off and on for a few years. I never stopped running. I did stop speed and for a while cut back on hills, since that seemed to exacerbate the problem. Slow and easy was mostly fine. I trained for my first marathon when it was at its worst and only had one run get cut short by pain.