Beginners and Beyond

In need of some serious motivation (Read 134 times)

Nevrgivup

Hey guys. I need a swift kick in the rear end. I am in serious need of motivation. I don't know if its because of the demands of school or the weather, but I am failing at getting some of my runs in. I've been averaging 3 runs per week and 1 swim.  I have a few races set up, but I'm just not motivated to race them. Am I expecting too much for myself right now with grad school and should I just let it go? Ugh. Not good at balancing it all.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Just B.S.

Miss Hilary, you are over thinking again.Big grin

You work, are in a very demanding grad program and still manage to run 3 times and have now taken

up swimming. I don't see a thing wrong with your internal motivation.

I think hanging out on message boards where everyone always seems to be "racing" something or talking

about racing something or running  a zillion miles a week, can make those who aren't feel like they are someone

a lesser runner.

This is patently untrue. We all have priorities and lives and interests other than running (hopefully) and time and

motivation for running can ebb and flow.  As long as you keep doing it for the reasons you started then you are

doing fine.

I remember you saying something recently about doing those races for fun. Make it your "goal" to do exactly that

and take some pressure off yourself.

I run a lot of races each year because I love running/cycling and now swimming  but also because it's something

I can do with my hubby and that we both love. If he didn't run there is no way I would be taking time away from

him/home/family to train and travel and race 15-20 races a year.

Keep doing what you are doing. I'm 51 and still running marathon so that's proof that there is no time-line and

racing will be there for you when you are ready for it.

Nevrgivup

Miss Hilary, you are over thinking again.Big grin

You work, are in a very demanding grad program and still manage to run 3 times and have now taken

up swimming. I don't see a thing wrong with your internal motivation.

I think hanging out on message boards where everyone always seems to be "racing" something or talking

about racing something or running  a zillion miles a week, can make those who aren't feel like they are someone

a lesser runner.

This is patently untrue. We all have priorities and lives and interests other than running (hopefully) and time and

motivation for running can ebb and flow.  As long as you keep doing it for the reasons you started then you are

doing fine.

I remember you saying something recently about doing those races for fun. Make it your "goal" to do exactly that

and take some pressure off yourself.

This is it Beth. It is so hard to not compare and my life right now is so busy. I'm so used to being motivated, but this program is really kicking my butt and I just have to go with the flow. Its terrible how I feel like a failure for only running 3 days a week. What I needed was a kick in the butt to not be so hard on myself. Hugs. Thanks. Smile

LRB

Just think back a few months to how so very miserable you were when you were on the bench.  You would have given your left nut to run only three days a week!

Nevrgivup

Just think back a few months to how so very miserable you were when you were on the bench.  You would have given your left nut to run only three days a week!

Thanks. LRB.

Just B.S.

This is it Beth. It is so hard to not compare and my life right now is so busy. I'm so used to being motivated, but this program is really kicking my butt and I just have to go with the flow. Its terrible how I feel like a failure for only running 3 days a week. What I needed was a kick in the butt to not be so hard on myself. Hugs. Thanks. Smile

You are hugely motivated.  Working toward something so much more important than running.

Instead of beating yourself up about not running enough/racing just picture yourself graduating

with your NP designation.  That will be so much better than any darn racing medal you will ever

get.

I am happy to kick you in the rear anytime, just ask!Smile

Nevrgivup

You are hugely motivated.  Working toward something so much more important than running.

Instead of beating yourself up about not running enough/racing just picture yourself graduation

with your NP designation.  That will be so much better than any darn racing medal you will ever

get.

I am happy to kick you in the rear anytime, just ask!Smile

Thanks.

Robert31320

Team TJ

With your current schedule, you don't need motivation...you need an eighth day to the week.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Chairman

I am much better at demotivating than motivating. Anyone needs to know what it feels like to feel like nothing you do matters, come to me and I'll make it happen.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Nevrgivup

With your current schedule, you don't need motivation...you need an eighth day to the week.

OMG. THIS. Smile

Just B.S.

I am much better at demotivating than motivating. Anyone needs to know what it feels like to feel like nothing you do matters, come to me and I'll make it happen.

I really hope you are not a professional life coach.Big grin

Nevrgivup

Wink

Nevrgivup

Meanwhile, I'm supposed to be studying for an exam this coming Tuesday. I have my book opened to the cardiac system and I'm on here talking to you guys. Smile We can discuss resting heart rates and how to reduce risks of cardiac events by running. LOL.

happylily

I really hope you are not a professional life coach.Big grin

LOL...

Hilary, you are doing terrific. Everyone here knows that, except you. Be kind to yourself, girl.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Nevrgivup

LOL...

Hilary, you are doing terrific. Everyone here knows that, except you. Be kind to yourself, girl.

Thank you Lily. You know how we get. We are our own worst enemy sometimes.