Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins (Read 15 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  It seems like it'll be a bit warmer outside today, so I'll probably try to run in the great outdoors.  I'm going to Iceland in a month, so I need a running headlamp -- they'll have about 8 hours of light per day when I'm there.  Does anyone have one that they can recommend?  I may just go the cheap route re: I'll probably only be using it for this vacation since I mostly run in the afternoon when I am home.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

Morning, HR intervals on the elliptical this morning.

3 min zone 4 - 1 min zone 3 x10 5 min warm up/cool down.

I went to the Dr yesterday and got x-rays . They didn't show anything except arthritis, scheduling  a MRI. for the right knee.

Zelanie

PAD, I was thinking, have you googled Patellar tracking disorder?  When I finished my first HM, I couldn't run a mile without pain, and that's what I ended up having (my PT figured it out, Doc said jumper's knee).  If it's the same thing as what I had, you'll be able to tell if McConnell taping works right away and suddenly you can run.  So, maybe worth a try.

I got to the track last night and found out that a friend had signed up for her first marathon and was running the first Hanson's workout.  But she didn't bring her watch.  So I got to be the pacer for 12 x 400.  Smile  More of a workout than I'd expected, but much more fun since it wasn't technically "my" workout somehow.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  BRR, it's cold out there!!  12 when I got up, 24 by the time I left for work.  And because they're doing work on my building, the heat is sort of in and out.  I've got my long underwear bottoms on under my jeans!!  Quartet rehearsal tonight, which will be fun, as we haven't gotten together since before Christmas.  We'll probably sound like poo, but it'll be good to catch up!!

Jill, I have a Petzl headlamp, and it's awesome.  DH was so jealous that he went out and got himself one, since he keeps stealing mine.  

PAD -- I never had anything show except mild arthritis in my knee as well.  Here's my PT routine:  2 sets of 15 squats.  2 sets of 10 monster walks with a black theraband tied around your knees.  Lay down on the floor and do two sets of 10 reps of side leg lifts on each leg while pressing a ball into the wall (kind of hard to describe, but it works).  Three reps of 30 seconds on, 10 seconds off, hamstring stretches on each leg by lying on the floor and putting a dog leash around your foot and pulling it toward you, which sticks your foot in the air (also apparently hard to describe).  Three reps of 30 seconds on, 10 seconds off of pulling one leg over to the side across the other (straight leg, it's an IT band stretch).  Get in bridge position and do 10 knee abductions (stretch our your knees and bring them back together) with the black theraband tied around your knees.  3 sets of those.  Three sets of 10 clamshells per leg, pausing for a second or two at the openest point, with the black theraband tied around your knee.  Tie the theraband around something (we use the foot of the bed) and stick one foot in the loop.  Two set of 10 leg abductions (move your foot out to the side) per leg.  Then two sets of 10 with your knee locked, moving your heel backwards (glute exercise).  Then stand on one foot and throw a tennis ball against the wall and catch it, 10 times per foot.  Then stand on one foot on a pillow and do the same thing, 10 times per foot  (proprioception exercise).  Do this 5 days per week, and your knee pain will be cured in less than 12 weeks!!  Although we still do the whole routine 3 or so days per week, takes about an hour.

Zelanie -- Woo-hoo for the unexpected fun workout!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

PADRunner

I'm starting back on my gym class workouts which include lots of leg (squats & lunges) & core (planks, bicycles, scissors, in&outs) work and also using the leg machines.

abductor

adductor

And doing the pelvic drop 3x10 exercises for the gluteus medius specifically.

GinnyinPA

PAD - be really careful with the squats and lunges.  They put a lot of stress on the knee, especially if you don't do them right. Yes, they'll make you stronger, but they can also cause strains.

Z - nice workout with your friend.  Are you considering any marathons this year?

HopesMom - have fun with your group tonight.

Jill - Iceland is a great place to visit, though I'd rather go in summer.  OTOH, you should be able to see northern lights.  Have fun.

AFM - I have 5 easy on the schedule.  DH has PT this afternoon, so I'll go with him and run in town, where it's nice and flat.  Still cold but sunny, so should be nice for running.

SheCan

I'm going to Iceland in a month, so I need a running headlamp -- they'll have about 8 hours of light per day when I'm there.  Does anyone have one that they can recommend?  I may just go the cheap route re: I'll probably only be using it for this vacation since I mostly run in the afternoon when I am home.

Ohhhhh, what a cool, radical vacation!  What made you chose this unusual location for a vacation?

PAD-- Sad  Arthritis isn't so fun either, but as you just started hurting after your race there's surely something more.   Oh just read what Z wrote.  Good luck to you.

Zel-- what a good, fun workout you musta had, and very nice of you to volunteer to help her like that.  Even a hard workout can be fun if it's a change of pace & with a friend.

HM-- brrrrrr--- I feel for you!   Enjoy seeing your singing friends again tonight, & I betcha y'all sound fabulous.

Ginny-- yay@ another sunny day.   As far as the LD race is concerned, I'll probably wait until the last minute.  I don't plan on racing one way or the other, so will just sign up for whatever I'm feeling up to at the time if I'm able to make it to the Phx area at all.  I'm on the "no pressure" plan.  ;-)   So do you have family or friends you're seeing while in the area?  

Today, I did 4-1/2 easy miles.  Kind of waiting on my truck to be fixed because I broke the radiator yesterday while DD & I were exploring a mountain to see if we could find snow.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Ginny, I think I'm going to aim for a June and December marathon this year.

Cheri- I'm glad you got home safely with a broken radiatior!

GinnyinPA

Cherie - I have two brothers in the Phoenix area and a sister in Tucson.  We'll see them while we're there and then go to Houston to see my 92 year old dad. I plan to do the race first, so I'm not trying to train and visit at the same time.  We're staying at the state park the night before and after the race, then we'll go to Scottsdale, I think.  It all depends on how the drive cross country goes. Weather in February can be really iffy so we may get there a few days early or end up having to push to get there in time.

Did you find the snow before your car got damaged?

SheCan

Cheri- I'm glad you got home safely with a broken radiatior!

Well, we ended up having to call a tow truck, which was a ways outside of town.  Thankfully we'd given up before we got to the top of the mountain, turned around, and were back near the main highway before it reared its ugly head.  Otherwise I'm not even sure what we would have done.  

Ginny-- I guess all the snow was on the road that was closed off-- a higher, more rugged road.  So nope, a snow-less trip.

Wow, sounds like it'll be a really nice trip.  Yes, driving across the country in wintertime can be very iffy.   I'm not even sure if that long a February drive could be possible without some inclement weather.  The race itself should be fine though.  Twice I did it it was quite warm (hot even) , and once it was damp & in the 40s but certainly nothing that you wouldn't be used to.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Wandering Wally

Got 5 miles done last night in the ice and snow. The plus side of this being an El Nino year is that I know the ice and snow will be gone in 6-8 weeks. In the meantime I'll just layer up. Not running tonight. I have to put on my taxi driver hat and deliver kids to their various evening activities.

Ginny - To answer your question from Monday, I live in Michigan near Traverse City. Look at the back of your left hand. I would be in the vicinity of the bottom, right corner of your pinkie finger nail.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Philliefan33

5.5 miles done this afternoon, out in the sunshine.

Jill, have you seen Knucklelights?  That's what I use for running in the dark. You can order them from Amazon by the pair, but I only use one at a time when I run after dark. I gave my daughter a set for Christmas and she likes them too.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Ginny - To answer your question from Monday, I live in Michigan near Traverse City. Look at the back of your left hand. I would be in the vicinity of the bottom, right corner of your pinkie finger nail.

mjs, I'm hoping to run a HM there next year.   I think I will have to register on or about December 1st as I understand it sells out fast.  Do you know anything about the race? Run it?  Never been there so it will be a Runcation.

5.2 for us.  35* out so it was comfortable in my tights, balaclava and mittens.

Zelanie

I have the black Diamond sprinter headlamp. Expensive but dependable.