Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race 49: Alamo Beer 5K and 10K (Read 3 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more.

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Below is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252049%2520Alamo%2520Beer%25205K%252010K?sort=2

Full report below.    

BEFORE THE START

My 49th race of 2019 was the Alamo Beer 5K.  There was also a 10K.  This event is the first race of the Alamo Beer series of 4 races that gradually increase distances over each event in preparation for the San Antonio Rock n Roll Marathon and Half Marathon in December.

Put on by local race company Scallywompus, these are quite popular events, especially as the motto of Scallywompus is “Come for the race. Stay for the party.”  They are not kidding, either, Scallywompus throws one heck of an after party.  Between the 10K and the 5K there were about 1100 registered, so it was quite filled up. Blue number bibs were 10K; green, 5K

Event location was Alamo Brewery near downtown San Antonio.  Parking is kind of crazy near the brewery – especially with some street repairs around the brewery going on – so I got there pretty early, found a parking space and got some pre-start photos.

Empty start line, with the historic Hays Street Bridge overhead.  The bridge overlooks the grounds of Alamo Beer brewery

photo IMG_1184_zpsloktfeqz.jpg

Air Force volunteers at the event

photo IMG_1210_zpsl5ovnwts.jpg

Air Force NOW and Air Force Way Back When

photo IMG_1211_zpssxicdjob.jpg

Our MC

photo IMG_1212_zpsmzleflnm.jpg

Crew of local race management company iaap, that did timing, results, etc.

photo IMG_1198_zpsdxu2whid.jpg

Ainsley's Angels were finish-line and  on-course water stop volunteers for this event

photo IMG_1199_zpstvqz7qx3.jpg

Me and friend, Woody, who did the 10K

photo IMG_1190_zpsvpjipe8p.jpg

Local race organization San Antonio RoadRunners had a presence

photo IMG_1191_zpsb63lsjy2.jpg

Race day packet pickup/registration

photo IMG_1193_zpswzaajruf.jpg

photo IMG_1194_zpsnpyjbch2.jpg

With friend and Race Director Tony.  Alamo Beer had  air conditioned area open if you needed to get out of the heat for a bit, nice.

photo IMG_1195_zpsdits188g.jpg

Souvenir items on sale by the brewery

photo IMG_1196_zpsgpq7j98e.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, etc.

photo IMG_1197_zpspp3vrmlv.jpg photo IMG_1186_zpsrzd7ft6j.jpg

photo IMG_1187_zps7h3vmzs3.jpg

photo IMG_1189_zps0yx9be4x.jpg

photo IMG_1192_zpsmzlxceeh.jpg

photo IMG_1201_zps8zhujf0l.jpg

photo IMG_1202_zpsvx4yqgw7.jpg

photo IMG_1203_zpso2dfqkva.jpg

photo IMG_1204_zpswp5x3zq7.jpg

photo IMG_1206_zpstje2pxb9.jpg

photo IMG_1207_zpsrnvzzrbm.jpg

photo IMG_1208_zpsvyjv0wjs.jpg

photo IMG_1209_zpsn2wi7fib.jpg

photo IMG_1213_zpsya5ziknw.jpg

In the start crowd for the 5K, saw these 10k runners crossing Hays Street bridge above us

photo IMG_1214_zpswjyt41sa.jpg

photo IMG_1215_zpssanrh5n3.jpg

Almost ready to get the 5K going

photo IMG_1216_zpss9nx5tzv.jpg

photo IMG_1217_zpsartjf0x4.jpg

My speedy friend, Pat, wating  to get started

photo IMG_1218_zps0vdmz6rs.jpg

ON THE COURSE

The 10K started at 8:10, doing 2 loops of the course.  The 5K started at 8:20. This being Texas summer in August, it was quite warm by the time we all started, already in the low 80s – with our expected high later in the day going up to 102 degrees.  The course was changed a bit due to the streets construction, so we ended up doing 3 hills instead of the usual 2 this course has.  It was all good though, I actually liked this course better than the original course.

On Mile 1

photo IMG_1219_zpslkfganvv.jpg

photo IMG_1220_zpsbnvzduwq.jpg

photo IMG_1221_zps4ufm9rkg.jpg

Up the ramp to Hays Street Bridge

photo IMG_1222_zpstqslkhuu.jpg

photo IMG_1224_zpsbjrrdoxo.jpg

On the bridge

photo IMG_1225_zpsvjrcmg8z.jpg

View behind me from on the bridge

photo IMG_1226_zpsfocbhkmb.jpg

Climbing the hill that took us to Mile 2 and a turn-round point

photo IMG_1227_zpskp8simb6.jpg

Right side, going to the tun-round; left side folks are heading to the finish if they were 5K folks or, if  10K folks, some were  heading back to do their second loop of the course

photo IMG_1228_zpsqvvs5h3f.jpg

photo IMG_1229_zpsgpkk6deo.jpg

photo IMG_1230_zps9pzkg5ly.jpg

photo IMG_1231_zpsma12vqc3.jpg

photo IMG_1232_zpsok4djd4o.jpg

photo IMG_1233_zpspjdelp6s.jpg

photo IMG_1234_zpskwj0zkrg.jpg

photo IMG_1235_zps0swmev1d.jpg

photo IMG_1236_zps9fcemxgt.jpg

I am gong downhill now, heading for the 5K finish

photo IMG_1237_zpsq6ick6qj.jpg

Ladies coming up behind me

photo IMG_1238_zps2emvjsni.jpg

After that, nonstop back to the finish.  My results below.  Surprisingly, i ended up first in my age group, even though I did 11-something minute miles.  I guess all the super speedy folks in my age group were at another event, lol.

photo IMG_1261_zpskds6dzd8.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Finisher medals to all.  Got my medal, got my timing chip removed and then went to my car where I had some ice-water waiting and just sat for a bit, relaxing and rehydrating.  Then it was off to enjoy some of the post-race goodies – which included Alamo Beer, sausage-on-a-stick, and various other thing from both the race operators and the vendors – and get some post-race photos.

The Village Idiots team....don't let the name fool you...these are very speedy people.

T photo IMG_1239_zpsd8p3a4yb.jpg

photo IMG_1240_zpslkryqtct.jpg

photo IMG_1241_zpsbrzopjmn.jpg

Yeah, post-race beer

photo IMG_1244_zpsqrdjiygu.jpg

photo IMG_1245_zpsylcnzixm.jpg

These Alamo Beer glasses were the age-group awards

photo IMG_1242_zpsqr674mnp.jpg

Our Music Man

photo IMG_1243_zpszenkmfg6.jpg

Happy finishers, et al.....

photo IMG_1247_zpscdjbepaq.jpg

photo IMG_1248_zpsxtdq368i.jpg

photo IMG_1249_zpsxddzzgyd.jpg

photo IMG_1250_zpslqqkdj9p.jpg

photo IMG_1251_zps9oyi52qv.jpg

photo IMG_1252_zpsjmm7but6.jpg

photo IMG_1253_zps5x1orlgk.jpg

photo IMG_1254_zpsmr6tewcr.jpg

photo IMG_1255_zpsgst52jri.jpg

photo IMG_1256_zps4f5vbc8s.jpg

Had to get the doggie in the photo too, lol

photo IMG_1257_zpsgvjo82lt.jpg

photo IMG_1258_zpsx3jsokag.jpg

photo IMG_1259_zpsrgkzopq6.jpg

photo IMG_1262_zpsegta8fgs.jpg

photo IMG_1264_zpsdlmh35kz.jpg

photo IMG_1265_zpssw6vyam7.jpg

photo IMG_1266_zpsvna8sf9z.jpg

One thing about Scallywompus races...Old Glory is always flying somewhere...

photo IMG_1267_zpsqtlsnnwm.jpg

Finisher medal all finishers got

photo IMG_1268_zps95luy5j1.jpg

EPILOGUE

Scallywompus always puts on good events and this one was no exception.  Nice location, nice quality race tee, great post-race goodies, DJ playing music, a crazy but very entertaining MC, and lots of freebies from a whole slew of vendors and sponsors that were there.  For Texas in August, kind of a really warm event with an after 8 a.m. start –   I think if we’d started between the 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. hour, it would have been better for we participants; but maybe not for the set-up guys and the sponsors, they probably would have had to been there super early to get everything ready – but we all managed and got it done, and I did not hear of anyone have problems with the heat, so that’s always good.  The course was well-manned by police officers, and I saw a couple of medics bike-riding the course, and there was also a well-manned and large water station on the course at a good location; the 5K folks passed it twice, the 10K folks 4 times.  Post-race  party was very well done, as usual for Scallywompus events.   All-in-all a very well done event, which I have done many times in the past and will continue to do in the future.

Thanks so much to the race director, Scallywompus staff, volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement and medical folks out there for us, food vendors, Alamo Beer staff, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.   Also, thanks to all the residents of the neighborhood we invaded for a few hours for their patience, and to anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thanks for all you do, so we participants can have this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt