Beginners and Beyond

Marathon Pace Advice (Read 187 times)

Ball of Fury

Hi everyone!  I really wasn't sure where to post this, since it doesn't seem like the marathon group here gets much action so I am posting it in general running as well as the racing forum.  I would love any and all advice for my upcoming marathon.

Shorter distance race:  10K 48:42 on Thanksgiving Day

1/2 1:51:15 November 11

Average mpw:  We only started the program with a base of around 30-35, and progressed up to 55 mpw.   Have been at 50 for the last 6-7 weeks.  We would have like to do a higher mileage plan but honestly, at this stage in our lives, I really don't know if it is possible for both DH and I to get much over 55 mpw.  Between my work schedule (about 60 hours most weeks) and our 2 small kiddos, we are doing the best we can right now.

Training plan:  Hal Higdon Int 2 with a few added miles (would do 5-6 miles instead of 3-4 when he called for it).  I have tried to get in a midweek long run every week but didn't get much over 10-11 miles during the week.

Race:  Disney...a bit crowded but we are in Corral B so shouldn't be bad.  Very flat.

How long have you been running:  Just about a year.  The Disney Marathon Relay in January 2012 was the first race we ever trained for.

How many marathons have you run:  This is my first

Age/sex:  35, female

Pace of long runs:  Typically 9:45/mile, but probably a bit too fast at times.  I ran my 20 miler a couple weeks ago with 9:45 the first 10 miles and then 9:25-9:30 the last 10.

Goal:  I would like to say I just want to finish, but let's be honest...I would be lying!  If I am being truthful, my goal is between 3:55-4.  I think I have the speed for that, but am not sure I have the endurance just yet.

So that's it!  Any and all advice would be great appreciated!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

LRB

A 9:00 pace per mile dose not look out of the realm of possibility based on your 10k pace of 7:58, and half marathon pace of 8:30.

I have similar numbers, although my marathon time was about 45 seconds slower than my half time the first time around.  Currently it's 35 seconds slower, but I ran it injured.

I personally liked the 11 mile MLR, although others may like to see that at 13.

How many runs did you have of 16 miles or more?

Ball of Fury

I did 2 16 miles, 1 18 mile, 1 19 mile, and 1 20 mile.  My second schedule 20 became a 16 when I had ITB issues and yesterday's run became a 14 because I just suck Big grin

LRB

I did 2 16 miles, 1 18 mile, 1 19 mile, and 1 20 mile.  My second schedule 20 became a 16 when I had ITB issues and yesterday's run became a 14 because I just suck Big grin

If nothing else, you have the right attitude lmao!

I cut a long run short once, and like D said I was no worse for the wear during my event.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Ami, I am in the same boat as you, and am also running Disney as my first full (hope to see you at the FE)

I do not have a strong base, having run only 6 months, with the last 12 weeks in the 35-45 mpw range.  I have run most of my longs at or near 9:05 pace, which seemed fast to me but not having any races to benchmark, I ran by feel.

I am starting to think a 4:15 is a better goal to start for in this race, although I am truly hoping a 4:00 is within grasp.

My concern is that the race will be so crowded that it may be hard to give a near maximum effort (expecially since we do not know what a maximum effort is at this distance).  So my thought is start out at a 9:15 pace and then adjust after 10-12 miles, and then again near 20 miles.

That would be more comfortable and bring me within striking distance of a sub-4:00, but lessens the chance of a blow up.  Seeing as Disney only has 4:00 and 4:15 pacers, they may not be of great help.  PM me if you want to consider running together with your DH.  BTW I also got in Coral B based on a 1:15.00 15K I ran in August on 8 weeks of training total.

Docket_Rocket

AmiK, I made the comments on our group, so you know what I guessed for you.

Are we all in Corral B?  If I don't make it to the FE dinner, we need to meet in the corral!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

AmiK, I am no pace expert, but your training looks very similar to what I did for my first marathon... So maybe this will give you an idea of what to expect for your first.

I started training for my first marathon 15 months after taking up running. My official HM time was 1:46 and my mileage in training averaged about 48-50 mpw. I ran the first half of that marathon on pace for a 3:35 and probably would have finished in 3:45 (because of poor pacing), but I had medical problems and had to DNF. The following 6 months I ran easy, then went back to training. This time, my HM time was 1:50 (I lost some speed after my stroke). My 10k time was around 49:00. My weekly mileage after my medical incident was about 36 miles, and in training about 46-48. So very similar to your training... The only difference was that I was running my LRs faster, around 9:00/9:20. But I was always told I ran them too fast... I finished my marathon in 3:55, with my pacing all over the place, as usual. I think you can do the same, or better, if you pace yourself in a smart manner. My advantages over you were that I had done 2 marathon trainings instead of just one, I had a year extra of running and had experienced half of a marathon before finishing my first. My disadvanges: I was older than you and I was (am) a pacing idiot.

I think you can do 3:55-4 if you run smart. :-)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Ball of Fury

Docket and Four:  We will definitely have to meet in the Corral.  DH and I are not sure if we are going to make the FE Saturday night because a couple friends may be coming to run the 1/2 and if so, we have promised to have dinner with them.  Four:  It does sound as if we are very close.  My concern with starting at 9:15 is that in my head, I would constantly be thinking of the time I need to "make up," which is surely a recipe for disaster!  But, I agree with you that we have no idea what it is going to feel like to run this distance.  DH and I do not run our races together (the last time we tried was just hilarious!) and he is going to run with the 4:15 pace group I believe.  I would definitely be up to run at least the first few miles together.

Lily:  Thank you so much for your advice!  You are much faster than me but I think we are a lot alike in our disregard for proper pacing, but I am determined to change it!!!