Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins need to work their core! (Read 207 times)

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning my fellow cantering colonists!

Gotta love a strong core!  Pushups, pullups and leg lifts are doing wonders for my core. Smile

Gustav, thanks for starting us off.  Sorry if I missed it, are you injured?  How long till you can run again?

Brenda, good run last night, have a great 5er tonight. Smile

Kristi, enjoy the rest, try not to work too hard!

Jen, don't sweat it, you're gonna rock that half!! Cool Definitely keep us posted.

Awood, you can do it, only takes a mile to keep the streak alive! 

PF, nice job on the 5er, hope you have a good run later.

Liz, life's too short to not enjoy good food. Smile  Great job getting in some early miles today!

AFM, 8 miles done bright and early (well, dark and early actually lol), starting to sound like a broken record, huh?  I really like my route tho, and I can run it on autopilot half asleep now, my legs just know where to go.  I know every crack and dip in the road, even in the dark. Smile 

I had intended on doing my first tempo run today, was going to warm up for a couple of miles, do a few miles tempo and then the last few easy.  But I overdressed and started getting hot while I was warming up, so I skipped the tempo and just held a decent pace for the rest of the run, ended up with an average 7:37/mile, which of course is still really good.  But from what I've read, based off my recent 5k times, my tempo pace should be closer to 7:00/mile, so that's what I'll shoot for next week.  Definitely need to start rolling in the speed work, and I read several articles that said that tempo runs are one of the best speed workouts you can do. 

Hope everyone has a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Mmmmm...beer

Wow, must be typing really slow this morning, a bunch of people slipped in while I was writing. lol

Damaris, glad to hear it!  I'm working from home today too, love the flexibility.

ERLH, hope you have a great run!  I say try to talk the bf into it, I always prefer running outside. Smile

Jerry, have a good run on the bike path.

Kristin, enjoy the rest! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Dad on the run.

Has anyone been over to RWOL? Seems they got a handle on the SPAM. I've checked in like 4 days in a row and not a single spam thread on the first page. Perhaps they finally got something going for them. I love it hear, don't get me wrong, but its hard to get newcomers when we are stuck in a small corner of runningahead's world. Sad

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Morning Penguins.

Sorry I do not have time to go through personals, but I do wish you all well.

I will not be running today as I have a full plate today. The movers should be here soon and I have to take my car in to get some maintenance done before we leave for Alaska. I also plan on spending my evening in the hospital. 

Last night my father was admitted to the oncology ward. The hospice nurses think his liver is starting to fail and the cancer has apparently moved into his brain. He has not been remembering who people are (even his wife and us kids), he thinks it is a different time, and is very confused most of the time. They have been trying to keep him comfortable in the hospital. We are playing it day by day.

If you could pray (or whatever you do) for my dad. I know he will not recover from this (stage IV prostate cancer, terminal), but please pray that he is no longer in any pain.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice run on the San Antonio Riverwalk after work yesterday.  As I was finishing up, some of the holiday lights were going on, so as I crossed over some bridges overseeing the Riverwalk, here were a couple of my views...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

tracilynn

Hey pengs

Whats a core?  Thats funny Doc!  Sometimes,  actually ALL THE TIME I wish we could just RUN and not worry about all that other stuff like hips and core and cross training... Blah.  Thats why I chose to run because I thought its all I needed.  Ugh.  

Jimmy, I know what you mean abut RW and being tucked away in here.  RW pizzes me off though bc they dont give a shiz and you know in a few weeks when its Christmas and New years the spam will be out of control AGAIN.  I dunno.  I will follow my penguins around like a good little loyal penguin. Wished we could all crash in the beginners board here like we did before but they dont seem to care for that here.

I have a question about the miles game... I know Tomas is signed up on the 1000 team as am I but what do we do exactly?  Where do we report pur miles and to who?  Does anyone know?

I went to therapy a couple months ago for my ITB and ended up costing me about 250$ well I just got billed for another $275 yesterday!  Argh.  So pissed off.  

I will be doing another easy 3 or 4 miles today 

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Docket_rocket- I would love to start a running group here.  That has to be so motivating!  At my sister's college in Memphis they have an art school running group.  I'm trying to get her to join.

I like to run alone, though.  And my running group consists of people faster than me that say hello and goodbye to me before and after the run.  I never see them DURING the run, LOL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

KaraInSavannah

Runs the streets

Good morning! The only running I have been doing is from vomit. My little was well again, and now back to some exorcist action. Poor baby. Sad  Probably a late night run at the Y when hub gets home tonight.

Docket_Rocket

Has anyone been over to RWOL? Seems they got a handle on the SPAM. I've checked in like 4 days in a row and not a single spam thread on the first page. Perhaps they finally got something going for them. I love it hear, don't get me wrong, but its hard to get newcomers when we are stuck in a small corner of runningahead's world. Sad

I still post there.  I wouldn't worry.  There is hardly anybody posting there anymore.  New or old.  We can always recruit in the Running101 forum ever so often providing this group and link to the penguins to anybody that wishes to join.  In my other groups we already got new RA people joining so people do look at groups and join those they like.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Wow, Scotty.  It gets beautiful there this time of year.  DH is still gung ho in moving there eventually.  We'll see.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

KaraInSavannah

Runs the streets

Rach- so sorry to hear what you're going through with your Dad! I can't imagine that kind of pain, and it must be breaking your heart. I hope they are able to manage his pain and that when he goes he it is peaceful. He may be very confused right now, but he is loved. And it is probably more important for him to know that his family knows that they are loved. So very, very sorry

Docket_Rocket

Rach, I'm sorry your dad and you are still going through this.  Hugs.  How's the rest of the family?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Exactly what I will do today, Gustav.  An easy 3 mile run/walk around the university campus followed by a weight training session at the university gym.   Congrats on your workout.  Why are you not running now, are you injured?

Happy running, Brenda.  If that is "you" in your avatar, your core looks pretty good to me.

Enjoy the SRD, Kristi!

Safe trip, Jen, and good luck on your half!  I am sure you are going to do just fine.

Safe trip to you too, Awood!

Meh, I work my core occasionally but not as much as I should.  Margo, see my note above to Brenda.  Happy miles today.

Core?  What's a core? Why, Liz, that's the thing you find after you eat all the apple! Big grin  Wow, congrats on already getting your miles in!

Happy running with your group tonite, Damaris!  Working at home, huh?  So...what are you wearing?  

Congrats on your strength workout ERLH!  I'm betting you can sweet-talk the boyfriend into anything. JokingWink

Way to get to the gym, Jerry.  Hope your run on the path goes well. Don't get run over by any bikes.

Enjoy the SRD, Kristin, and the Zumba class if you get to it.

Dang, Dave, you and that 8 miles!  You certainly are consistent!

Jimmy, I kind of go back and forth between here and RWOL.

(((((Rach!))))  So sorry to hear about your father, wishing him, you, and your family all the best!  Good luck with the movers!

Good luck with your miles today, Traci.  So sorry about the ITB billing.  If it didn't get better, should they really bill you?  I think there should be a guarantee clause in there, if the "treater" can't make you better, then everything is free. Wink

So sorry to hear about your little one still being sick, Kara.  Hope she gets better soon!

Well, Damaris, if you do move here, at least you will get a break in the humidity here once in a while.  We do have lots of humidity here, but nothing like Miami, our winters are a bit more milder than yours.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

I don't know.  People in SC swear their humidity is OMG hi then I go there in the middle of the Summer and it feels like Vegas compared to Miami.  So, anything with a dewpoint of less than 78 will be easy.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Thanks Kara. I really do appreciate it.

Rach, I'm sorry your dad and you are still going through this.  Hugs.  How's the rest of the family?

We have been managing the best we can. I have been spending every weekend I can at home, with dad. I think it is probably the hardest on my older brother and my mom because they are living with him day in and day out (well, until he got admitted to the hospital). Being part of his caretaker team (along with hospice nurses and physical therapist--from his hip surgery), it is difficult to watch. I am not there every day and I find it difficult.

We are all doing as well as can be expected of the situation.