Beginners and Beyond

Race #77 of the year - New Braunfels 5K (Read 8 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.   

Slide show of photos only: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2077%20New%20Braunfels%20Half%2010K%205K?sort=2 

BEFORE THE START

The New Braunfels inaugural 5K was my 77th race of 2017.  New Braunfels is about a 30 minute drive north of San Antonio. The main event was a half-marathon, which had the most participants; and there was also a 10K.  8 a.m. start for the half, 8:15 a.m. start for the 10K, and 8:30 start for we 5K folks.  The venue was a very unique location, with a name appropriate for a Veteran Day 5K: the Stars and Stripes Drive-In movie theater, which has been open a couple of years now.  Nice of the owners to let us use this venue and they also opened the refreshment/snack bar area so we had the use of the very nice restroom facilities too, no porta-potties. As this was a drive-in movie, ample parking for everyone, sweet.  This event supported a good cause, the Children's Advocacy Center.

I got on-site with about an hour to go to the 5K time and did my usual race pre-start photo thing.

Race held on Veterans day so here I am.....retired Air Force, did 24 years.  That little blip in the middle of the wings is my Air Force Retired pin.

Our MC, Mark Purnell, who did his usual great job, with Scott Wood of Athlete Guild.

My friend, Scott Wood, of Athlete Guild, getting  the puter ready for timing, results, etc.

Various participants, volunteers, etc.

Goofing with my 'sister from another mister', Karen

The guy in the sling actually ran the race....he did pretty well too

My friend Carolyn did the half

The lovely Kristine of Dragon's Den and Dragon Tees.  She and her hubby were prime organizers of this event.

Interviewing Children's Advocacy representative

ON THE COURSE

Weather was actually pretty nice, around 60 degrees, lots of cloud cover, and predicted off-and-on showers, which we never got during the race, thank goodness. By the time we got started, we had a mix of sunshine-and-clouds.  It was a tad humid but for we 5K folks doing the shortest event, not bad at all, as we were not out there that long.  The half folks probably felt most of that humidity.

Course for the 5K was out-and-back.  Not sure about the half people, but the 10K people did part of the 5K course.  Some of those speedier 10K people actually passed me on the way to a turn-around point both races used.  The course description on the race registration site mentioned running scenic FLAT country roads....umm, yeah...the RD must've been drinking when he wrote that, lol...this course was not flat...and I got the photos to prove it.   However, for the New Braunfels area, these hills were actually more like long inclines and pretty mild - except for the guy from Florida that I ran a bit with..he told me for him, they were hills, it was flat as a pancake where he lived, lol.

I ended up with a finish time of 32 minutes and change - good enough for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in my 60 - 69 male age group, since I was the only one in my age group, lol.  However, the medal lady only gave me the 1st place award.  

The half and 10K folks are gone.....5K folks waiting to go..

Flat course...yeah...okay...   lol 

From this road, could see the movie area from where we started and would finish; and had a nice view of some of the buildings closer to New Braunfels proper

Of course, after we got to the turn-round point, we had to come back UP this to finish.  But then had a downhill back to the movie theater entrance road

A couple of the speedy 5K folks already heading to the finish

Our turn-round point was down this 'rough road".   As we turned onto it there was a sign that actually read "Rough Road".  They weren't kidding, lol...mostly unpaved and had to watch for a few potholes

Back on the road, heading for the finish

Friend Karen heading for the turn-round point too...she walked the 10K

That left turn was the turn-round road

My friend, Tanya, in pink ahead of me.  She did the 10K and was first woman overall.

AFTER THE FINISH

Got a photo of this lady coming in, I had run with her a bit on the course.

Then wandered around getting photos of happy finishers, volunteers, supporters, etc.  Half and 10K people started coming in - the speediier ones pretty close to after I finished.  Eventually I was getting photos of people from each event.  Everyone got finisher medals.

Owners of Stars and Stripes Theater.  Thanks for the venue!

New friend and fellow Air Force Retired vet

Shiner  Bock beer and and a finisher medal, nice.

I gave the little one in pink shirt my medal...her first race medal, lol.  Wishing her many more to come in the future!

I am with this guy...I felt like having a post-race short nap too...   

First place finisher plaques

Tired but happy...she got that 10K done!

Relaxing post-race and Enjoying some of that free food...

Almost all over now..Athlete Guild folks winding down a bit...

EPILOGUE

Very nicely done event for an inaugural one, well organized and put on by my friends Erik and Kristine Burciaga who own Dragon Tees and put on the very nice Dragon's Den events over the year, so their experience came in handy for this one; and Athlete Guild did its usual great job of course set up, timing, results, etc.  I don't know of any, but there may have been a glitch or two - it was an inaugural race after all - but from where I was at any given time, things seemed to be going quite well.  Post-race there was Shiner Bock beer for those who wanted it and the Drive-In Movie owners and staff also provided some nice post-race food, including burgers and fries for those that wanted that.  Unique location, post-race beer and food, nice race shirts - and the half marathon folks got long-sleeved race shirts - an official photographer on site taking photos for those that wanted them...I'd say this was a very successful inaugural event. Definitely would do this one again and would recommend it.  I anticipate this one growing in the future.

MUCHO THANKS to everyone involved that got this one organized for we participants:  volunteers, sponsors, Stars and Stripes owners and staff for being out there for us and for the use of the venue,  I Speak For You radio/organization - Mark Purnell who did his usual outstanding job as our MC - Shiner Bock rep out there - my personal favorite volunteer/sponsor, I like enjoying a cold one after a race/run   - and anyone else I a may not have mentioned, or may have missed, my apologies.  Without all of you, no event for us, so thank you so much!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

That course looks like what is referred to as "relatively flat" here in MD.

GinnyinPA

There must have been a lot of hot runners, with all the long sleeves and tights at 60+ degrees. The course actually looks like a nice place to run. Gently rolling hills are the best kind. Your time shows that your body enjoyed it. Were the roads open to traffic or closed?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

There must have been a lot of hot runners, with all the long sleeves and tights at 60+ degrees. The course actually looks like a nice place to run. Gently rolling hills are the best kind. Your time shows that your body enjoyed it. Were the roads open to traffic or closed?

Open to traffic, but it was very light.  I think I saw 2 vehicles for the whole 5K time.   I don't know how the traffic was on the half and 10K course.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt