Beginners and Beyond

2019 Goals (Read 57 times)

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

1200 miles running 

8000 miles cycling

My primary goal is to appreciate every mile.

Runner with a riding problem.

Cyberic

Since I don't have much mojo to train hard right now, and I'm going away on a family trip in England next summer (most likely), I'm not sure what goal(s) to set.

- Hit 5000 km (about 3100 miles) in the year, as that is what I pledged for the miles game, and that would keep me running all year long

- PR in at least one of the main racing distances. I don't know about that one, but I should race a couple of times, so why not go for it?

From the Internet.

- Sub-6 mile - that should be a done deal as long as I warm up well and shut off my brain in my next attempt indoors, lol

- Sub-1:32 half

- Sub-3:20 marathon

If I get all those knocked out in the spring, I'll set some new ones for the fall! After several bad 5Ks we are not on speaking terms right now, I will deal with that later, haha.

LRB

PR in at least one of the main racing distances. I don't know about that one, but I should race a couple of times, so why not go for it?

Since your fitness hasn't leveled that should always be the goal until it does.  #preverything

LRB

- Sub-6 mile - that should be a done deal as long as I warm up well and shut off my brain in my next attempt indoors, lol

I struggled with that. Didn't get it until my fourth crack if I recall correctly.

I have never raced a mile, but did a time trial at the track one time because I was curious to see if I could go sub-6. Result: 5:59.6. 

And, sorry about your 5k issues, but your PR looks mighty soft to me.

Dave

From the Internet.

I struggled with that. Didn't get it until my fourth crack if I recall correctly.

I knocked my recent mile workouts all the way out of the park and then some (5:50ish pace for 4000m+ of work this past Wednesday and the week before that - last 2 reps the fastest) so I'm hoping one more try is really all I'll need!

From the Internet.

I have never raced a mile, but did a time trial at the track one time because I was curious to see if I could go sub-6. Result: 5:59.6. 

And, sorry about your 5k issues, but your PR looks mighty soft to me.

NICE. I got off to a bad start with my 6:01 a couple weeks back - I might have had it if I hadn't hesitated off the line!

It is indeed mighty soft - the last mile of my most recent half marathon was a faster pace than my 5k PR, lol. I'm just figuring maybe I should sneak up on it instead of planning a 5K goal race! If I jump into a race without any expectations I might not get stuck in my head the way I've been doing.

LRB

I knocked my recent mile workouts all the way out of the park and then some (5:50ish pace for 4000m+ of work this past Wednesday and the week before that - last 2 reps the fastest) so I'm hoping one more try is really all I'll need!

I never did any mile specific training, I raced off my 5k training. The biggest problem I had was trying to pace the mile instead of racing it, so there was a learning curve for me. Whereas, you did it properly and went out there and kicked it in the schnutz.

It is now halfway through the year, and the question is...

Dave

My main goal is to get back to something resembling my old self again.

1. 2500+ miles. This used to be like falling off a log, but I don’t want to take anything for granted.

2. PR something. Primary plan at this point is to attack the HM.

3. Qualify for NYCM. Achieving #2 would do this. .

4. Do Boston proud. We’ll see what that means as the date nears, depending on what kind of shape I’m in and what the weather is like. But I am likely a one and done, so plan to make the most of it.

Well in the words of a former President: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

1. On track with 1312 miles YTD.

2. New PRs at 5k, 10k, and HM, tyvm.

3. Done, via HM time.

4. I feel pretty damn good about effort I gave and the day I had, considering the conditions. No regrets, if I never do it again.

So that was a hell of a half year for me. IDK what’s going on with this hamstring thing; maybe I’ll be lucky and bounce back quickly, or maybe the second half will be a trainwreck. Only the running gods know for sure.

Dave

LRB

Because without them we are wanderers. Transients drifting through the wilderness of life without purpose. Running aimlessly in circles trying to catch our proverbial tails. Commiserating in the DAILIES like a group of hobos waiting for the next train. No, no. There will be no hobo 'ing. There will be goals. Goals I say. GOOOOOOALS!

^ What in the hell was he drinking that morning??

LRB

Well in the words of a former President: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

By any measure, your year as been spectacular. And there's still half of it left!

From the Internet.

- Sub-6 mile - that should be a done deal as long as I warm up well and shut off my brain in my next attempt indoors, lol Yup - the one thing that went right on the first try in 2019!

- Sub-1:32 half Not yet

- Sub-3:20 marathon Not yet

If I get all those knocked out in the spring, I'll set some new ones for the fall! After several bad 5Ks we are not on speaking terms right now, I will deal with that later, haha. Dealt with and more to come!

The half I ran earlier this year is a fast field but a tough course - only a few hills and some fast gentle-downhill in the middle, but the weather and strong wind off the ocean are often pretty rough. Weather was OK but I got hit with a side stitch and didn't PR, let alone take a crack at <1:32.

Big PR in the 5K on a warm Thursday evening earlier in June, I would REALLY like to knock out a sub-20 before the end of the year if I get a good day for it. I'm doing a few summer races just to get in the mindset of "it's OK to suffer" again.

And I'm coming for the marathon. Holding volume pretty steady but ramping up quality, planning to tackle it at Baystate in October - fast flat course, usually has great race weather.

Whoops I meant to reply and not modify.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

2019 Goals???? Hell we're already half way through.

1. Make running a priority this year
                                2. Build my base
                                3. Get weekly mileage back up to 30-50 mpw
                                4. Train for the IMM
                                5. Beat my debut time
                                6. Don't get injured

Goals that aren't set in Stone

• Complete two marathons
                                  • Honest Abe Trail Marathon - September 14
                                  • Indianapolis Monumental Marathon - November 9

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)