Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES (Read 32 times)

LRB

I generally avoid taking painkillers because I worry that they slow recovery. Does anybody else do this, or am I making myself miserable for no reason? I was just tempted to avoid a phone call because the phone is all the way across the room and I was sitting down. 

Well, where training is concerned, you create a stimulus then allow the body to adapt, naturally. In that regard, pain killers don't necessarily slow recovery, but they may hinder adaptation. This was/is especially true in weight lifting. I personally believe it to be true in running as well, which is why I went against Nicole's advice when under her tutelage of taking post-run ice baths. I could not get her to understand that I didn't want to stop the inflammation and subsequent soreness, because I believe it to be the bodies way of healing and adapting.

Having said all of that if you are tired of hurting take the pills. I do it every now and again, but it's in extreme cases.

LRB

On the subject of soreness, I chose to gobble down 85 thousand grams of protein today to help me deal with mine. And a little wine.

I generally avoid taking painkillers because I worry that they slow recovery. Does anybody else do this, or am I making myself miserable for no reason? I was just tempted to avoid a phone call because the phone is all the way across the room and I was sitting down. 

Well you hear both sides. But the only time I ever take any kind of pain pill is if I have a headache. And then very rarely. I let running soreness heal on its own.

Dave

onemile

I took 4 ibuprofens so far but I don't think they did much for me. I am so lame today it's pathetic

Cyberic

Tylenol (Acetaminophen) is not an NSAIDS, therefore if you are hurting, but do not want to impair the healing process, you could take that.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/what-runners-should-know-about-pain-medications

Last paragraph:

PROBLEM "My Achilles bothers me one day, but it's fine the next."
            PILL TO POP Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
            MED SENSE Acetaminophen doesn't impair the healing process like other drugs may. Take 325 to 1,000 milligrams, twice a day. But never exceed 2,000 milligrams in 12 hours.
            WARNING LABEL Don't use if you're drinking. Alcohol increases acetaminophen's liver toxicity.

LRB

I took two Tylenol 3s and drank a beer once after having my wisdom teeth removed, I was higher than shit.

No more marathons

I'm in the camp of don't take for muscle aches and pains.

That's a recent (last 10 years - amazing how time stretches when you are an OldPhart) adaptation.  In 2004 my main sport was Tennis, and I was hoping to do well in a state level tournament.  I developed a severe case of tennis elbow, and while the recommenced treatment was rest (yeah, right) my preferred method was 6 extra strength Motrin, three times a day.  I kept that up for about a month.  Yep, about three times the recommended dosage.  Never had stomach issues, and it's now 12 years later, so I'm guessing I didn't do any permanent damage.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Half Crazy K 2.0

Strength training.

I generally avoid ibuprofen, maybe take it once or twice a month for cramps. I popped 2 down last Saturday after my full, just to try to make me a little more comfortable trying to sleep.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Strength training.

I generally avoid ibuprofen, maybe take it once or twice a month for cramps. I popped 2 down last Saturday after my full, just to try to make me a little more comfortable trying to sleep.

LRB, are you sure you didn't get the good tylenol for your wisdom teeth? I got tylenol with codeine for that.

Zelanie

I broke down and took 2 aspirin. I feel like it's a more natural painkiller than the others.

Docket_Rocket

I avoid any pain meds unless I'm dying.

Today, we decided to play with the long term asthma med.  So far, so good, but it's only Day 1.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

I ran my 1 miles "hair of the dog" run.  My calves were like OMGWTFLOL but it really wasn't too bad if I didn't look at the number on the watch.  It was 37 and had been raining for most of the day, so I snuck out during a break and made it back before it rained again.  I wore my winter coat.

Ric-G

5.5 miles this evening and then put up some xmas lights after that.

marathon pr - 3:16