Beginners and Beyond

Fridailies - Rain and wind. #soblessed (Read 35 times)

onemile

Yeah of course I've been googling already, and there's plenty out there.

Anyway, I just called and got an appointment for next Thursday. Due for an annual physical anyway, better that way since that's free under my plan. But I'm ready for a battle, because most doctors don't know anything about runners.

Somehow I got lucky and ended up with a doctor who runs. He's run a few marathons even.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

7 easy today.  The weather was supposed to be mild, in the upper 50's (finally), but clouds rolled in and it was colder.  I'll just have to wait a while longer for spring, I guess.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Spring Distance Classic 5k, 3/24; RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6

GinnyinPA

Dave - I'm another who had the low ferritin issue. It only showed in my running. Every run felt like an effort, so slow and difficult. I asked my doctor about iron and she did a quick test for anemia and it was normal. I asked about ferritin stores, because I've seen so much about it on the forums, so she sent me for a ferritin test. I was very low. She sent me for a colonoscopy, because she didn't understand that a lot of athletes have iron deficiency (not just runners). I did that, but on my own started taking an iron pill. It worked. It took a couple of weeks before it had an effect, but it was such bliss when running felt fun again and my paces got back to normal and then began to improve.  I had a HM in that period between getting the blood test and getting the results - a PW, of course.  But I knew going in, from the way my training had felt, that that was a likely outcome.

RunningOnSand

+1 (+many?) to the low iron levels. I didn't actually go in and get my levels checked, but I am a vegetarian and my levels are almost always low so I started taking iron and felt better within a week. It was pretty drastically noticeable.

And I loved hearing your reasons for working out. Sounds really similar--just making it part of your routine, it defining you, and just doing it. I was able to get through a fairly uneventful 8 miles on the TM today, although it took a solid 4 miles to get warmed up. 

it's a family movie night--Harry Potter!

it's a family movie night--Harry Potter!

Which one? We were a big HP family.

Dr. Strange tonight here, as we continue plowing through the MCU series.

Dave

LRB

Not that it matters, but I went through a period of pace suckage in the summer of 2015 and had all the iron tests and they came back as I just sucked, it had nothing to do with anything else. YMMV

RunningOnSand

Which one? We were a big HP family.

Dr. Strange tonight here, as we continue plowing through the MCU series.

1st one...we are introducing my son to them. So fun! I’ve never watched Dr. Strange.

RunningOnSand

Not that it matters, but I went through a period of pace suckage in the summer of 2015 and had all the iron tests and they came back as I just sucked, it had nothing to do with anything else. YMMV

Then did your pace improve? Or maybe it was just the weather that sucked.

Coastal

Yep.

Something else to think about are electrolyte levels.  These can sneak up on you during the winter.  We don't think we're sweating that much but we are.  This is especially true if you're using a TM but it can happen on the road in the cold, too.