Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday New Years Eve Penguins (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, I 'braved' the cold and went to Randolph Air Force Base for my last run of the year.    Ended up with 3.2 miles.   Right across from the base gym there is a really nice track and the track has a big 'jumbo-tron" type sign that displays upcoming base event info and also the current temperature.  40 degrees when I started - not bad - but the wind was blowing like crazy giving it a 'feels like" temp of 28...SHEESH, really?   I opted to wear my long pants today and a long-sleeved shirt.   Went out INTO the wind and returned with the wind at my back, making a nice loop through some of the base's family housing area.  Actually had a pretty good run/walk and did not feel too cold - although i was definitely appreciative of that HOT shower at the gym after I got back!

So I ended up with 822.5 miles for 2014 - pretty pathetic considering way back when I used to routinely run anywhere from 100 to 120 miles  a month and sometimes even more than that when I was training for my one marathon, my halfs, etc, on occasion I even had a few 2,000 mile years, but those days are long gone.    But hey, it is what it is, and I accept that I am older now and dealing with some issues these days (arthritis in knees, hips, and spine; degenerative disk disease, my aging-and-slowing down body after many surgeries for various things, and so forth) and am just happy I can still be out here at all doing some kind of running.  This is my 31st year of running and I now have 45,679 lifetime miles.  If I had been completely healthy for the last several years, I may even have been up to 50,000 or more by now; but as said, it is what  it is and I will take what I can get. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Brilliant, good luck as team sucker captain next year!

I am taking a SRD as I get ready to ramp my mileage back up for next year.  It won't really be much of an increase over this year, but it will be an increase from what I've been doing post-marathon.  Hopefully the down time has done me some good.

In the mean time, I need to drive in to work to pick up the extra 75% of this month's pay that they forgot to include in my paycheck. 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice run, PAD!

I can't believe 'they' are making you work today, Damaris...and Friday too.   Government workers ESPECIALLY need a break once in a while. 

Up to 20, wow, Jerry!  Stay warm!   Yeah, I'm scratching my midnite run tonite too...dang cold rain and icy roads!

I was Air Force, Brilliant, and stationed at Hickam.

Congrats on your run today, Robert, and your yearly miles.  I did not have a specific goal for miles for the year, so I'm happy with what I got too.  Even if it had been ONE mile I would've been happy...some running is better than no running.  

Enjoy the beer, Jack!   As for sushi...I can't see how anyone can enjoy that nasty stuff...

Sorry about the achy knees, Mitch.  Break out the Move Free or glucosamaine, or whatever......we ARE at 'that age"....

Posted by Brilliant:   but somehow deleted everything but Scotty  Yeah, I'm lucky with the lovely ladies that way, nice not to be deleted....

to pick up the extra 75% of this month's pay that they forgot to include in my paycheck   good lord, Z....pay clerk dipping early into the New Year's egg-nog and got the numbers jumbled?

Zelanie

to pick up the extra 75% of this month's pay that they forgot to include in my paycheck   good lord, Z....pay clerk dipping early into the New Year's egg-nog and got the numbers jumbled?

Scotty- Congrats on the great running year!  Maybe not an all-time high compared to back in the day, but it seems like 2014 was a big improvement over 2013, yes?  More races, less weight, and from what it sounds like less trouble from the back, too?

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Got all the way up to 17*, so we only ran 2 miles (saving up for the big streak finale tomorrow).

121 for December, 984 for the year.  1,136 for DW.  Both of us down from last year.

Way to "brave" the cold, Scotty.

Now to get ready for NYE...wait a minute, we're not doing anything !!!!

Well now that you stalkers know where I live, feel free to join us for for the party.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty- Congrats on the great running year!  Maybe not an all-time high compared to back in the day, but it seems like 2014 was a big improvement over 2013, yes?  More races, less weight, and from what it sounds like less trouble from the back, too?

Yes, the back has definitely showed improvement and I am down under 200 lbs for the first time in a long time, so that is all good!  As for the races, not more, but I did TIE 2013 with 74 races done in 2014 also.    One of my friends jokingly told me I should shoot for 100 for 2015.  I doubt that is going to happen...we have a lot of races over the year in my local area, but the way they are scheduled I doubt I would be able to get in 100 of them....not to mention what that would to to my budget too, lol.

Zelanie

Yeah, I could see 100 being kind of tough to schedule!

I think what happened to my paycheck was that I got that "new" job at the start of the month.  It wasn't supposed to affect anything, I was just supposed to go from being a full time teacher being paid out of pot "A" to being a full time teacher being paid partly out of pot "A" and partly out of pot "B".  Instead, somebody in HR apparently made me into a part-time substitute teacher instead. 

Happy New Year Penguins!

Brilliant - have a blast in Hawaii!

Finished the year with 615 miles, which beats my goal of 500 for the year. The big jump is mainly due to the half marathon training I jumped into last spring and then stuck to the increased miles. I've one more day of the Holiday Streak. Looking forward to a day off.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K