Beginners and Beyond

It's a Super Penguin Weekend (Read 26 times)

tracilynn

Cave racing! Awesome!  Cute pics Kathleen  you're adorable.

Way at to go Brilliant!  I'd be over the moon with that kind of HM time. Congrats! Did you see the dockets?

pad, enjoy your Thai food. I love Thai.

Hey Mitch sapf and Jack and everyone else.

I ran 8 miles this morning in the cold rain.

We are grilling Filets and Buffalo burgers tonight. First time to have Buffalo meat. Hmmm.

i wonder if Ginny decided to do that run this morning?

i

~~~~~~~

Traci

hog4life

WTG Kathleen, about the pic posting, not the sore leg.

Brilliant, congrats!

Traci, what time should we stop by. You got wet? I did Monte Sano at 6:30 and didn't get rain till a little after 9:00, I was in the truck by then.

Heading over to hospital, after about 30 hours of labor, they are finally going to take the baby.

tracilynn

Yes Mitch, as soon as I stepped outside to do my run it started raining.  Ha. It's was about 10am.

BABYTIME!  Congrats

~~~~~~~

Traci

GinnyinPA

Kathleen - happy birthday!  Nice pictures!  Sorry about the knee.  Are you icing it?

Mitch - congratulations on the baby.  30 hours!  Ouch. Good job on the train run after yesterday's efforts.

Traci - good job running in the rain.

sapf - congratulations on the race.  I can't imagine racing with so little training. Does your husband actually enjoy running?

PAD - I love Thai as well.  DH not so much, so I rarely get it.

Jack - that is a long tempo run.  I assume marathon pace, not 10k pace?

Brilliant - congratulations on the PR.  All your training paid off.

AFM:  I ended up doing the Gettysburg Beer Runners Almost Half Marathon.  I didn't race it, though I did run at the higher end of my easy pace.  Garmin ate the data - or more likely, I hit the wrong button when I was saving it - but it ended up averaging about 9:57.  Nice day - 35 and cloudy, and the snow held off until mid-afternoon.  Very rural course with mostly gentle rolling hills  and one killer at the 10.5 mile mark. Prettiest part was following a half frozen creek through woods for a couple of miles.  At one point I looked across a frozen side stream to see a really pretty red covered bridge about 100 yards upstream.  I was between groups in pace.  Occasionally I'd catch up to someone, but then either I'd pass or they sped up.  I finally ended up putting on my earphones about half-way.  Beer and a burger at the Pub afterwards was very welcome and I got to talk to some people at the bar. Everybody got finishing medals, but there was no timing so no awards.  It was fun.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205134369592608&set=p.10205134369592608&type=1

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Cave racing! Awesome!  Cute pics Kathleen  you're adorable.

Way at to go Brilliant!  I'd be over the moon with that kind of HM time. Congrats! Did you see the dockets?

pad, enjoy your Thai food. I love Thai.

Hey Mitch sapf and Jack and everyone else.

I ran 8 miles this morning in the cold rain.

We are grilling Filets and Buffalo burgers tonight. First time to have Buffalo meat. Hmmm.

i wonder if Ginny decided to do that run this morning?

i

No pain, I hope?

Brilliant: Way to crush it! That sets you up nicely for your marathon.

Ginny: Yes, 10 miles at goal marathon pace (7:45).  That sounds like a fun run. Beer and burgers after a race taste great! Well, they taste great even without racing so I guess they taste even better after a race. Smile

Zelanie

Brilliant- Woohoo!  Doing a happy dance for you! 

Kathleen- Thanks for the pics.  I had no idea that caves could be that "manicured" inside, with asphalt, etc.  Hope the knee feels better with some rest.

Mitch- Best wishes to mom and baby!

Ginny- Glad that you did the run!  It's a shame that there weren't more people around you, but hopefully still a nice change of pace.

I ran 6 on the TM and then bought myself some new shoes.  Saucony has a new model out that's more cushioned than the Kinvara, but lighter than the Rides.  It's as if they were reading my mind.

The Saucony Breakthru

tracilynn

No pain, I hope?

Well,  my RT ITB acted up a lot.  Ankle is good now and shin feels good but now the ITB wants to act up

Been rolling and stretching a ton today.  It's always something with me.  ITB acted up first week after Christmas too but got better. I dunno. I think I'm gonna go drink a beer now.

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Zel, that's a perfect shoe and I bet it will be popular. I have 2 of the Kinvaras and always felt like they needed more cushion.

~~~~~~~

Traci

From the Internet.

Was out all afternoon/evening yesterday and posting from my phone was im-fucking-possible D:<

ITB exercises for those who asked:

- Part of my issue is hip flexor tightness combined with the glute weakness, so hip flexor stretches are part of my prescribed routine, and making sure I'm not in anterior pelvic tilt when I do any exercise because that shortens the hip flexors and lengthens the ITB and the little muscle that's attached to it.

- Side-lying leg lifts - keeping hips stacked, making sure the top leg is not coming forward at all because that takes the workload off the glute medius. She said some people find it helpful to do these against a wall to make sure the leg/hips are staying in the right position.

- All kinds of glute bridges - I like to do them with weight at the gym but at home I can make it more challenging with theraband around the knees and with shoulders elevated (exercise ball would be ideal for this).

- I told her that my normal strength routine includes various kinds of squats and deadlifts and that I'm forcing myself to do more single-leg variants, she said that was great and to keep doing them, but to make sure that I'm thinking about posterior pelvic tilt and engaging my core during those kinds of exercises - they recruit so many muscle groups that it's easy for bad form to take the workload off the glutes.

The needle poking is dry needling - apparently poking into the muscle with a needle is supposed to help release trigger points/knots pretty effectively. PT said she's had that treatment before and it works really well for her, so it's definitely worth trying!

Traci - lululemon tends to run a little small IMO. I'm solidly a size 6 in their stuff and I'm a size 4/small in most other brands.

Zelanie

Traci- I find that Lulu runs small, too.  Or at least, it's not as vanity-sized as other brands.

Lauren- Hope the dry-needling works!  Good to know that you can keep doing your exercises.

tracilynn

Thanks Lauren. Interesting about all that. I borderline failed the "tight hip flexors" and also failed weak hips and glutes  "anatomy for runners" tests.

Bridges are hard for me especially marching bridges and one knee grab and lift bridges.

PS Will y'all loan me eleventy thousand dollars to shop at Lululemon?

~~~~~~~

Traci

Brilliant

Thanks, everyone.  RR is up.  No, I didn't get to meet Damaris. Sad  Traci, "over the moon" pretty much describes how I felt.  I didn't put this in the RR, but I was sobbing after I crossed the finish line.  Just.coud.not.believe.it.

Ginny, your run sounds really fun.  I had burgers and beer today too.  And I had just given up beer yesterday for the weight loss challenge, haha.

Zel, the shoes are beautiful.

Kathleen, congrats on figuring out the pics!

Mitch, congrats on the grandbaby.