Beginners and Beyond

Multivitamin (Read 74 times)

Docket_Rocket

Precisely.

And we're not talking bankruptcy here.  We're talking savings.  Where every little bit helps.

Doctors aren't pretending to be money managers or financial planners.  They're trying to save their patients a few bucks by convincing them to get rid of a stupid habit that wastes money and provides them no benefit.  It's something I see this every day.  I can't tell you how many patients come in with their grocery bags full of nutritional supplements and multivitamins on which they spent $150 for just this month's supply.  They'll spend close to $2000 a year on these things.  That's not a small chunk of change and it IS worth saving.

So sure.  For you your not quite $40 a year savings may not be that much.  Pocket change for you.  Burn it in your fire place to keep warm if you like.  For many more people out there they money they spend is significant and could be put to much better use.

I see the same argument made for the overuse of antibiotics.  My husband is a doctor and he mentions how many patients demand antibiotics for colds and stuff and get angry when the doctor disagrees.

I take meds for my asthma and bad reflux.  If I could drop all medications, I would.  I try to take the least amount of medication (and to me, vitamins are artificial nutrients similar to medications) in my life and I still look like a 70 year old lady with her pill bottles.  If it's not needed, why take it?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

I see the same argument made for the overuse of antibiotics.  My husband is a doctor and he mentions how many patients demand antibiotics for colds and stuff and get angry when the doctor disagrees.

I take meds for my asthma and bad reflux.  If I could drop all medications, I would.  I try to take the least amount of medication (and to me, vitamins are artificial nutrients similar to medications) in my life and I still look like a 70 year old lady with her pill bottles.  If it's not needed, why take it?

Non-prescription of antibiotics is slightly different.  Your husband is absolutely right as I see the same things he does when I refuse to write antibiotics for someone and their sniffly, viral head cold.  I've been threatened with lawsuits, bodily harm and worse.  By not prescribing them there is also the reduced chance that resistant strains of bacteria will develop... something that is a wide spread problem and getting worse.

Ultimately, though, you are correct.  If it's not needed, why take it?

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.