Beginners and Beyond

Good news . . . it looks as if RW has a handle on the spam problem. (Read 1300 times)

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Dick Dick!!

Docket_Rocket

When I worked at a water park in Grand Prairie Texas back in the 80s (White Water, for those who care), there was a place called International Wildlife Park across the street.  You'd drive your car through fake savannah and see animals and such.

Anyway, we had two radio systems... one of which shared the same frequency as IWP.  So we got to listen in when calls were placed.  For stuff like "the hippo is stuck in the x".

The general manager of IWP?  The one who got the most urgent calls?

Yup.  Mike Hunt.

Just like in Porkys. 

You might not like chat threads, but this one is sounding like one already.  Just saying....

And I swear I'm not taking anything against you for quoting you twice in the last 5 minutes.  Love you!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Dick Dick!!

You like to say it, don't you? Wink

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

runfoolery

I think this only becomes a chat thread SRL despises if it lasts 200+ pages and OP changes the title to have nothing to do with spam

Docket_Rocket

I think this only becomes a chat thread SRL despises if it lasts 200+ pages and OP changes the title to have nothing to do with spam

There is still time....

Damaris

Fundraising Page

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Damaris, can you add this definition to the sticky? Clown

Canuck

A colleague at work once met a woman at a conference with a hyphenated last name (she had added her husband's name to her own) - it was Moysten-Cumming.  Why would you do that to yourself?

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

xor

Hold the phone!

For the record, I don't despise chat threads.  Not even kind of.  And I'm one of the worst offenders when it comes to derailing threads.  Although those usually sink after a day or two.

What you are responding to, I think, is my continued puzzlement (not despise-ery) at the naming of the various chat threads that go on for months/years alongside the "need to attract new folks".  Those things, side by side, cause cognitive dissonance.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Will you ban Bob! if he posts pictures of his chafing?  For the love of God, please answer this in the affirmative, Sistah Mandy.  No one else needs to see that!  Ever.

I had a lot of good times over at RWOL.  It is sad to me to watch the site dying over there.  That said, I feel if they didn't owe me anything, then I don't owe them anything.

I feel bad for those of you who want to continue on at RWOL.  You've been loyal and I hope Rodale ultimately rewards your loyalty with a functional forum you can continue to use.  That said, don't take attacks on Rodale and/or RWOL as necessarily being attacks on you personally for staying there.  A lot of the anger is really people who are just upset to see their online running home destroyed with very little response from those in charge (I feel somewhat bad for the mods as Rodale appears to have basically thrown them under the bus).  However, there are also going to be those over there who because of past run-ins with authority who are there mainly just to enjoy and take pleasure in what they see as the proverbial sacking and burning of Rome.  So it might be best to just steer clear of those threads and stick to the running threads if that sort of thing upsets you.

Also don't take it as an attack of some sort that we invite people to come here.  Competition and choice are good things.  If people like it here they will stay, if they don't, they will go back to RWOL or they will go elsewhere.  There is also no reason people can't ultimately post on both forums, as many people have expressed that they will do.  Remember, RA is the little upstart: we're the ones without the corporate backing, cool name, and Google search engine placement.  Even if we ultimately left, RWOL would surely fill up with new users eventually.

Amen, sister, amen.

And sadly I can only ban Bob! from our little trail forum. And not only did I have to see that chafing in person, but I actually touched it and rubbed Vaseline on it.  :shudder:

Running is dumb.

Jess runs for bacon

A colleague at work once met a woman at a conference with a hyphenated last name (she had added her husband's name to her own) - it was Moysten-Cumming.  Why would you do that to yourself?

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!

runfoolery

What you are responding to, I think, is my continued puzzlement (not despise-ery) at the naming of the various chat threads that go on for months/years alongside the "need to attract new folks".  Those things, side by side, cause cognitive dissonance.

Ah. Noun form of despise is despite, in case it really didn't come to mind instantaneously

I understand that confusion, though I just passed those threads over and didn't really care what they were about, or that they were there. I'm never one of the cool kids anyway, so it's ok. Smile

Docket_Rocket

Damaris, can you add this definition to the sticky? Clown

On my way....

Damaris

Fundraising Page

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

I have no words......

Docket_Rocket

I should also define meltdown threads, right?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

No...because they can take various forms.