Beginners and Beyond

Space Coast Marathon RR: A Huge Course PR, a Huge Side Stitch, and a great fun was had! (Long) Pic added on Page 3 and in OP (Read 74 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Congrats!  Great job!

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

outoftheblue

Ouch.  Thanks for sharing.

I need to search for that thread which was opened, I think, by OOTB, on side stitches.  I should read the suggestions.

It might have been started by Basya, I remember commenting on it.  I got a really bad side stitch near the end of a long run.  I was still 4 miles from my car, so I had to walk/run back, holding my side.  My side hurt on and off for a few weeks until it finally got better.  I did a lot of reading up, so as to avoid a repeat.   Here's what I remember:

--There's a lot of controversy about what causes them.   However, one common variable seems to be the consumption of food/water can trigger one, as can be an increase in the intensity or nature of your pace -- i.e., sprinting or running downhill.   In my case, I got my side stitch shortly after taking a gel and during a downhill stretch.

--Some evidence suggests that the pain is related to your breathing patterns, with shallow, rapid breathing triggering them.   And, eating or changing your pace can cause your breathing pattern to change.

--If you feel a SS coming on, or get one, try to breath slowly and deeply -- think about taking air from the very bottom of your lungs. .  Also, most people take a breath when the same leg, for example, your right leg is striding forward.  Try to change that to take a breath on the "opposite" leg is moving forward.

--I've also seen it mentioned that a big pre-race meal can be the culprit -- although I hate to blame the donuts!

The breathing thing really help me.  I also am very mindful when taking gels or running downhill to keep my breathing steady and deep.  Fingers crossed, I haven't had a repeat  (although it's probably lying in wait for CIM, lol).

Life is good.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks.  I had rolling hills and consumed one more gel than usual. Hmmm.

With my asthma and the coughing, yes, the breathing could have triggered it too.  I cannot breathe in for more than 1/2-1 second so technically my lungs cannot breathe deeply.

Two donuts is a snack!!

ha. Thanks. I just hope it does not happen again.  I'll try some form of the breathing next time. Although my breathing in is pathetic.

Damaris

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hope the mold discovery at work helps.  Maybe you should WAH more often.

Cyberic

Ah! I don't read many RR in which people complain about SS. I almost DNF'd my last half because of them. I kept my pace for a while, trying to run through them, but eventually had to slow down. I did finish and didn't walk but  I also kinda *injured* myself from running through them. I think. For two weeks after my race I was getting SS even when running at easy pace. The same damn spot.

Cyberic

Oh, and congrats on the race. Big grin Glad it went so well. It is encouraging .

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ah! I don't read many RR in which people complain about SS. I almost DNF'd my last half because of them. I kept my pace for a while, trying to run through them, but eventually had to slow down. I did finish and didn't walk but  I also kinda *injured* myself from running through them. I think. For two weeks after my race I was getting SS even when running at easy pace. The same damn spot.

Ugh. That sucks. I hope I don't have any remaining issues but tomorrow's short run should let me know.

Damaris

outoftheblue

Yup, been there.  I started to worry that my kidney was failing or something.  Very strange things, these side stitches.  After lingering for weeks, it finally went away for good.

D -- Don't mean to jinx you!  But, I'm sure you'll bounce back sooner.  You seem to be a fast healer.

Life is good.

delicate flower

Just getting to this...

Nice going, Docket!  Great report.  Very glad to see you running well.  That is a big course PR!

This isn't the first time you've had sock issues, yo.  Do something about that.  Big grin

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Just getting to this...

Nice going, Docket!  Great report.  Very glad to see you running well.  That is a big course PR!

This isn't the first time you've had sock issues, yo.  Do something about that.  Big grin

Ha.  I would have to cut my arthritic toe or run sockless to solve that.  It was the least times it has bothered me.  But if it was like Chicago, for a PR, I would have taken it off (which I did in Chicago halfway through).

Thanks, guys.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Wouldn't it have been nice if I had not forgotten my sunglasses, don't you think?

Damaris

sheepla

Great race report. This race is on my bucket list, since I graduated from Titusville High School near there. If I'd known about the shuttle collection of medals, I would have started sooner!  We run about the same pace so maybe I'll see you there in the future.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great race report. This race is on my bucket list, since I graduated from Titusville High School near there. If I'd known about the shuttle collection of medals, I would have started sooner!  We run about the same pace so maybe I'll see you there in the future.

Cool!  There is a three year challenge medal too so you can join next year and still get part of the challenge done.  And you can mix/match between HM and full (although the HM gets full in record time).

Damaris

B-Plus

Congrats on the course PR. Glad it came together after what happened in NYC.