Beginners and Beyond

Lovely Morning ThursDailies (Read 22 times)

Docket_Rocket

If the fax doesn’t work out, you can try a telegram.

lol. Smoke signals won't work?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

sdWhiskers

Do you still require 100% masking regardless of vax status?

Yes. Except in a single person conference room, while eating/drinking or outside. Vax status makes no difference.

We wait for Cal-OSHA guidelines to change, which are expected to be several weeks or so behind CDC, CA gov, etc. So maybe next month? My perception is that >95% of my coworkers are vaccinated.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

If you work from home some days, does the size matter as much if you can hook it up to an external monitor?

It's the processing power that can matter.  If you're going mostly light stuff and word processing, then a small laptop hooked up to externals would work.  If you're doing a lot of number crunching, working with large spreadsheets or data sets, then a laptop could be under-powered.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Docket_Rocket

It's the processing power that can matter.  If you're going mostly light stuff and word processing, then a small laptop hooked up to externals would work.  If you're doing a lot of number crunching, working with large spreadsheets or data sets, then a laptop could be under-powered.

I don't know. I crunch numbers daily with multiple spreadsheets and docs and never had an issue with my laptop.

Fortunately, the government decided a few years ago that even the paralegals and analysts needed a laptop in case there was a hurricane, snow storm, etc. Attorneys have had laptops for almost a decade. Same type of laptop for everybody. It actually works faster with my AT&T internet than through the office server, even after connecting through 300,000 security checks and passwords.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

On a separate subject, our neighbors behind us are replacing their fence. They were very courteous about letting us know exactly when it's coming down and when the new one is going in. But it's going to be down for a week, and that fence is the only thing preventing our dog from roaming around the neighborhood. We'll have to either walk out with her on a leash, or attach her to one of those things that screws into the ground, every time she wants to go into the backyard. Which is about 1000 times a day. It is going to get old.

Dave

sdWhiskers

On a separate subject, our neighbors behind us are replacing their fence. They were very courteous about letting us know exactly when it's coming down and when the new one is going in. But it's going to be down for a week, and that fence is the only thing preventing our dog from roaming around the neighborhood. We'll have to either walk out with her on a leash, or attach her to one of those things that screws into the ground, every time she wants to go into the backyard. Which is about 1000 times a day. It is going to get old.

Another reason cats are better  You are very lucky that the neighbors are paying for "your" fence. Remember that every one of those 1000 times you grab the leash.

KCRuns

Good Luck on your interviews today Onemile!!

I did run/walk for 3 miles this morning.  After two lovely cool mornings, it was much warmer today.

delicate flower

We'll have to either walk out with her on a leash, or attach her to one of those things that screws into the ground, every time she wants to go into the backyard. Which is about 1000 times a day. It is going to get old.

FWIW, our two dogs are brought out on a leash 100% of the time, since we don't have a fenced in yard.  You get used to it.  DW tends to take the morning shifts, and I take the evenings shifts.

<3

Cyberic

If you work from home some days, does the size matter as much if you can hook it up to an external monitor?

It will be hooked up to external big monitor and keyboard and mouse.

Cyberic

I don't know. I crunch numbers daily with multiple spreadsheets and docs and never had an issue with my laptop.

Exactly. For Office applications, a laptop is fine. If you were a software developer, or doing video editing, then you realize that towers are more powerful.

A large part of the reason is the cooling capacity of a tower due to the space between components and the possibility to put more fans. In a laptop, there would be no way to cool off the amount of heat generated in sustained heavy crunching.

Battery life is also an issue. Some heavy duty towers have 750 watts power supplies to handle what they can do. My current laptop, although it uses a battery and does not pull directly from it, has a power supply of 65 watts.

Docket_Rocket

FWIW, our two dogs are brought out on a leash 100% of the time, since we don't have a fenced in yard.  You get used to it.  DW tends to take the morning shifts, and I take the evenings shifts.

I read this as each of you taking care of their SHITS.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Exactly. For Office applications, a laptop is fine. If you were a software developer, or doing video editing, then you realize that towers are more powerful.

A large part of the reason is the cooling capacity of a tower due to the space between components and the possibility to put more fans. In a laptop, there would be no way to cool off the amount of heat generated in sustained heavy crunching.

Battery life is also an issue. Some heavy duty towers have 750 watts power supplies to handle what they can do. My current laptop, although it uses a battery and does not pull directly from it, has a power supply of 65 watts.

Might be why some of our people's Dells have burst on fire, lol.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

Might be why some of our people's Dells have burst on fire, lol.

Lol ! That would be an engineering problem from Dell. They should throttle the power of the laptop in a way that it does not generate more heat than it can dissipate.

FWIW, a lot of what I'm saying is geek lore, and my own experience and common sense. I would not bet my paycheck on everything I've been saying about the subject.

You are very lucky that the neighbors are paying for "your" fence. Remember that every one of those 1000 times you grab the leash.

Yeah and it's not even in too bad shape. There is another segment on one side of the house that is worse. But maybe we own that one, lol.

I guess we're spoiled. We're just so used to letting her in & out repeatedly, because she IS kind of like a cat in that way. She'll even tap on the patio door, we'll open it, and she'll just stand there. We only put her on a leash for early morning and/or middle of the night, in case she decides to go on a barking fit. Plus the last one at night, just so we can prevent her from dawdling too much when we want to go to bed.

Dave

Srsly. It was proposed a couple months ago, but they decided against. I just sent an email asking again. I told them my internet running friend suggested it, lol.

Shot down!

Dave