Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 2: River Road 5K, 10K, and Half Marathon (Read 7 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%202%20River%20Road%20Run?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 2nd race of 2019 was the River Road 5K held on January 5.  There was also a half-marathon and a 10K.  This event was the first race of the Scallywompus Texas Hill Country races, a series of 4 events. Location was in Canyon Lake, Texas, about an hour’s drive from where I live.  Anytime Fitness kindly hosted this event, giving participants access to the facility. Staggered starts for the races, with the half starting at 8:01 a.m., the 10K at 8:31 a.m., and the 5K at 9:01 a.m.  I arrived with about 20 minutes to go to the half start, got my timing chip, and wandered around taking a few before photos.

Our music man, bundled up from that hill country chill early in the morning

photo IMG_1764_zpsfou1xvxb.jpg

It was a bit chilly - around 39 degrees - when we first arrived, but it began to warm up quickly, and mist was all around the nearby hills

photo IMG_1773_zpst8rfnxgt.jpg

Race Director Tony (left), MC Jason, and their lovely co-worker/organizer making them look good

photo IMG_1765_zpsapshbjds.jpg

Various participants, etc

photo IMG_1762_zpspvj13mot.jpg

photo IMG_1766_zpscl3nywcv.jpg

photo IMG_1767_zpstcyilgjl.jpg

photo IMG_1771_zpsyh2mssvk.jpg

Half participants getting ready to go

photo IMG_1768_zps7ba2th5q.jpg

photo IMG_1769_zpstogxxsfj.jpg

More participants, etc

photo IMG_1770_zpsrqc9zkwe.jpg

photo IMG_1774_zpso2hzdwdj.jpg

photo IMG_1775_zpswqxy1zgm.jpg

photo IMG_1776_zpsnc5frllq.jpg

photo IMG_1777_zpsirgjrrbg.jpg

photo IMG_1778_zpslop82ftb.jpg

photo IMG_1779_zps0lclpbkl.jpg

This is my grandad!  Wink

photo IMG_1780_zpsat2gyrpn.jpg

photo IMG_1782_zpsgei5rari.jpg

photo IMG_1783_zpscwbukczh.jpg

photo IMG_1784_zpslyt5soha.jpg

photo IMG_1785_zpsavmjfbda.jpg

photo IMG_1786_zpsvmefbfg9.jpg

photo IMG_1787_zpstqvwvhth.jpg

photo IMG_1788_zpsiyuamefl.jpg

Bernadette modeling the latest version porta-potty, lol

photo IMG_1789_zps5oun3syn.jpg

10K folks lining up to go

photo IMG_1790_zpsvy7khjdd.jpg

And then the 5K folks were left, waiting for their turn to start

photo IMG_1791_zpsoizg8hfo.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Kind of chilly when I first arrived – around 40 degrees or so – but by the time the 5K start rolled around, the sun was strongly out, there was no wind, and the temp was a fairly pleasant 47 degrees.  All the courses were out-and-back, so for we 5K folks, since we started after everyone else, we saw the lead runner of the half heading for the finish, and a few other speedy half folks, and also saw some of the 10K participants too.  Matter of fact, after I made the 5K turn-round, for a few minutes I ran with a couple of people who were heading the same way I was, but they were finishing their 10K.   As this is Texas Hill Country, there were hills, but for the 5K, it was mainly one long-but-not-too-steep climb up and then back down it on the way back to the finish.  The 10K and half folks had a more hillier course than we 5K folks.  The road was open to traffic.  Most of the drivers were pretty polite about it, and there were police officers on the course, but a couple of them were pretty darn rude – one driver I saw even went on the wrong side of the road – going up a hill that had a blind curve, no less – to pass a driver in front of him who was being polite and passing we runners slowly and carefully.  Runners were coming around that blind curve, and I was happy to see this idiot driver did not end up hitting any of them, good grief.   Other than that, everything was pretty calm and friendly, driver-wise, from where I was at any given time.  I ended up with a time of 33 minutes-and-change, good enough for 3rd in my age group.

This was pretty much the only hill for the 5K folks.  It was a 2-parter.  We got up this part, rounded the curve, and there was Part 2 of the hill after the curve

photo IMG_1792_zpsbs0n3a0m.jpg

Guadalupe River behind us at this point

photo IMG_1793_zpsms7i0bbe.jpg

photo IMG_1794_zpsps3kj69f.jpg

photo IMG_1797_zpsxx78ngw6.jpg

Half marathon guy heading to the finish as I am heading to the 5K turn-round point

photo IMG_1795_zpslip2mdov.jpg

photo IMG_1796_zps2yropxib.jpg

photo IMG_1798_zpsbspbpxhd.jpg

photo IMG_1799_zpsvbbnk3yr.jpg

Made the turn-round, now heading back to the finish on the right side of the road

photo IMG_1800_zpshstjqjqw.jpg

photo IMG_1801_zpsksc1ulsa.jpg

photo IMG_1802_zpshyhbqx4l.jpg

photo IMG_1803_zpsb0dxl7kw.jpg

Looking behind me.  That lady (red shirt) with the little doggie passed me and I never did catch up to them again, lol.   Speedy little dog and its lady finished the 5K about  5 minutes ahead of me.

photo IMG_1803_zpsb0dxl7kw.jpg

photo IMG_1804_zpsr3uccvb7.jpg

photo IMG_1805_zpsyuumoyyd.jpg

photo IMG_1806_zpsjn7u0fai.jpg

About a half-mile to go...I stopped on the bridge and got a couple photos of the Guadalupe River

photo IMG_1807_zpsct8hskal.jpg

photo IMG_1808_zps8j6dvnxr.jpg

After that, nonstop back to the finish. 33 minutes and change, got 3rd in my age group.

AFTER MY FINISH

The motto of Scallywompus events is “Come for the race.  Stay for the party.”  They are not kidding either.  Scallywompus probably has the best after-parties of any other local race company.  Kiolbassa sausage wraps, various fruits and veggies, food truck on the premises, and an assortment of drinks including water, of course, and Alamo Beer, Vodka and if I remember correctly there was even wine.  After downing my sausage and with beer in hand – only enjoyed 1 since I was driving – wandered around getting some after photos and interacting with lots of friends.

Finisher medal...and Alamo Beer....oh yeah

photo IMG_1811_zpsdm32puec.jpg

Two happy finishers and beer

photo IMG_1809_zpskii7ui2g.jpg

Various....

photo IMG_1810_zps0p7gw6lz.jpg

I gave my finisher medal to this little one, so each family member would have a medal.  Hey, the kid did the course too, right?  Smile

photo IMG_1815_zpsguc6ljcv.jpg

photo IMG_1816_zpssx0v2eqh.jpg

photo IMG_1817_zpsoivt3qcf.jpg

photo IMG_1819_zpsisineh0s.jpg

photo IMG_1820_zpsalr8z40m.jpg

photo IMG_1821_zps38uf0hlk.jpg

photo IMG_1823_zpswmmglass.jpg

Half Marathon finisher

photo IMG_1825_zps6hl3xn4a.jpg

photo IMG_1826_zpsjgia5npw.jpg

photo IMG_1842_zpsyqrkxb98.jpg

Awards

Bernadette, first in her age group

photo IMG_1827_zpsab6dnzgt.jpg

photo IMG_1828_zpszev138lc.jpg

photo IMG_1829_zpsn2dqeh2n.jpg

photo IMG_1831_zpstrfjq5cf.jpg

photo IMG_1839_zpsbhv4duil.jpg

photo IMG_1844_zpsdcc6vmao.jpg

I had a little nap, with friends holding me up, lol

photo IMG_1845_zpsqr2gziwl.jpg

OK, that was refreshing...now another photo

photo IMG_1849_zpsjljattzt.jpg

My speedy friend Woody placed in the half

photo IMG_1851_zpsxc1gl8ka.jpg

photo IMG_1843_zpsx1x7udox.jpg

John M...75+ and did the half marathon and got an award

photo IMG_1850_zpskynnlsyx.jpg

EPILOGUE

“Mr. Scallywompus” – my friend Bart – and his crew always put on quality events and this one was no exception.  The course was changed from what it was last year to a new course this year, and it is quite a nice course.  I think I like this course a bit better than the old course; a little less hilly – especially did not miss the ½ mile uphill climb to the finish on the old course, lol – and some nice views of the Guadalupe River along the way.  Very nice long-sleeved tech-tee race shirt; finisher medals for all; and age group awards went 4 places deep – or maybe it was 5 – and the walkers had their own category too, so they were not blended into the runner results, they got their own results and their own awards.  Kudos to our Race Director – and my friend – Tony Garcia who served as Race Director for this event as Mr. Scallywompus had to be out of town.  Tony and his volunteers/crew did a great job and iaapweb – in my opinion one of the top 3 local area race management companies - did a great job with the course, timing, results, etc.   Would definitely do this one again and would definitely recommend it to others.

Mucho thanks to all the folks who made this one happen for us, including Anytime Fitness for letting us invade their space; law enforcement folks out there for us; all the race organizers and volunteers and sponsors; Canyon Lake residents for their patience with us on the roads; and anyone else involved I did not mention here.  Thank you all so much for what you do so we runners and walkers could have this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt