Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins - 2012 Is Going, Going... (Read 189 times)

Tomas- Sparkle skirts does custom orders, you know!  And +1 on the you definitely don't need a tent size!

Thanks. And I probably will not be looking into skirts.

I honestly wasn't fishing for complements, this time. Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

Happy New Year!

Happy new year, guys! 30mins to 2013 at where I am.

Dave, get that PR before 2013.

Rd for me today.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Traci, I think Zelanie is spot on. For my 1st HM, I used my 5k time in McMillian to get training paces, and it said I should be able to do HM at 8:20 pace. That was way off bc back then my longest runs were 6-8 miles. My pace for 1st HM ended up around 9:12. So I felt like adding 30-40 seconds to the recommended McMillian pace was pretty accurate. I also wanted to error on the side of being a bit conservative so I would not have a horrible experience for my first.

Tomas... allow me to help...  oh, and if you do it... so will I... with pictures...    http://sportkilt.com/?gclid=CMvVhvPzxLQCFelDMgodCyIABA

If I can get fast enough to get under 4 hours for a marathon I will think about it. I just don't know when it will happen.  I am thinking i willl be around 5:20 in 2 weeks.

Those are more manly than the sparkle skirts. Although the sparkle ones would be better conversation starters Smile

Tomas

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

I've got a picture of myself in kilt somewhere...   not purdy...  LOL    Under 4 hours... that would be great...

I've got a picture of myself in kilt somewhere...   not purdy...  LOL    Under 4 hours... that would be great...

I figure that's a good random goal. I figure that if I could do that then my legs wold be decent enough for a skirt, and I will be confident enough to actually wear it

Tomas

From the Internet.

Morning penguins!

Another busy day yesterday so I didn't get a chance to check in, I didn't do anything but eat anyway Smile Last family Christmas party of the season/DD's 4th birthday, by the time we got home she was in meltdown mode from cake and present overload. I love the holidays but I'm kinda glad it's over now!

Planning to lift at some point today, *maybe* going for a short test run tomorrow but I'm still undecided, and the pool opens again on Wednesday so I'll be going for my first swim in YEARS. Off to catch up on yesterday's thread and read the rest of today's, hope you all have a great day!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

I figure that's a good random goal. I figure that if I could do that then my legs wold be decent enough for a skirt, and I will be confident enough to actually wear it

I'm not shaving... not even for a tri.  LOL!

Lauren - Happy Birthday to your DD!  She shares the month with myself, my DS, and my DW.  We all kinda get ripped off at Christmas time. LOL!  Have a great day.

Anyone listen to band My Chemical Romance during workouts?  My oldest recommended them - not bad, very dark themed but good beat in some of the music.

Mmmmm...beer

Vance, thanks!  Best of luck in your marathon endeavors!  I'm thinking about a full in the fall as well, gonna see how things go over the summer before I commit.

Jerry, hope you have a great run!

Tori, good job on the tm run, whatever works to keep it interesting!  No ice here, so it's not too bad.

Jen, thanks, me too!  Hope your knee and hammy feel better!

Mitch, hope your intervals go well and your knee behaves.

Tomas, thanks!  Enjoy the rest.  I love running in the country when we go to my inlaws, but the hills always kick my butt.

Zel, thanks!! Smile

Traci, thanks, I'll take lucky over good any day lol

Bin, Happy New Year! So how are things in the future? Smile

Lauren, Happy Birthday to your DD! Hope you have a great workout later!

As far as the HM race pace discussion, I bombed pacing my half in Sept, hoping to do a better job in March.  My local running club has a distance series to prep for the Shamrock half/full.  I'll be doing the 10k/15k/20k series for the half.  The 10k is this Sat, so my plan is to use McMillan to base my 10k pace off of the 5k I run tonight, and then base my pace for each following race off of the previous and see where I end up come March.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Hey guys,

Today is my normal SRD.  I was thinking about heading out for a few miles but my calves and butt are sore from running in the snow and hurdling over snowbanks yesterday.  I'll be back for some personals later. Clowning around

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Darn, it's raining!  Looks like I might get wet for my midnite 5K.  Oh well, at least it will be a fairly warm 48 degrees.  I am at home now after working this morning 5:30 a.m - 10:30 a.m.  Now I am off work until Thursday, nice.

Gustav, congrats on getting in a workout after all that eating!  I would've napped.

19 degrees! Shocked  Tori, you need to move! Joking  I'd rather do 'cold' than treadmill too. I'd rather be cold than unconscious.  Which is what would be the result if I ever tried to run on a TM, lol.

Good luck with your race tonite, Dave!   Be sure to wear some good-fitting shorts/running pants so you only beat one ball tonite. Wink

Happy Marathon training, Vance!  Umm, in that one, I hope the bear continues sleeping as you pass by!

What, Jerry, no midnite 5K in your area?  Hope your track run went well.

Random thought: I wonder why Damaris puts "Bad Ass" under her avatar, when her ass is certainly the opposite of "bad."  Big grin

Welcome back, Jen!  Hey, you don't have to reply to everyone...just me!  Cuz, you know, you have to keep the family dog happy.  Otherwise, the dog pees on everything!   Wink  Gee, somehow "fun" just doesn't work for me with snowing and sleeting, lol.  So sorry about your hammy and knee, hope it behaves for your 10K.  Good luck!

You have to work 3rd shift on New Year's Mitch?  That sucks.  Sorry about the knee, hope that resolves quickly.  Seems like a lot of folks are having knee issues around here.  Look, y''all, go out and get some "Move Free" from your local drug store.  I've had FOUR flippin' knee surgeries and this is what my doc has me use as a supplement and it works well.  It's not a miracle cure, but it does help maintain the knee.  That, and doing my hamstring/quads strengthening exercises regularly that he also has me doing.

Your 'out-laws' house, yer funny, Tomas!  I may have a problem with my in-laws next week, they are Seattle Seahawks fans and the Seahawks are playing the Redskins next week.   I doubt you'll need a tent to make the skirt..maybe just modify a big pancho.... Wink

Hope your HM workout goes well, Zelanie!

I was using my memory for the first page and my memory is the pits.  Yeah, mine too, Traci. That's why I do the "open in new window" for the thread, and then I just put the two threads side-by-side and work my way down each page of one of the open thread windows and respond on the other open window thread.  Works very well for a lousy memory person like me.  After I post my stuff, I close one of the windows, then 'reload" the remaining page and I'm all current again.

Well, since I got here late, it's already New Year''s where you are, Bin.  Happy New Year!

And I probably will not be looking into skirts.  Well, I should hope not, Tomas!  That's my job, as the colony's Dirty Old Man, when our Penguin ladies wear their skirts...... Joking  Wink

so I'll be going for my first swim in YEARS.  Lauren, here is a pool story for you:  A few years ago, it was just a few week after I had my first-ever vertigo episode (not fun).  So that passes and so now I'm at the pool for a swim.  I start to do laps and the motion of the water kicks up my vertigo!  So I'm thrashing a bit, with the room spinning around, the lifeguard thinks I'm drowning and jumps in and hauls me out of the pool.  As soon as I got my head upright, the room kinda straighten out again, everything is normal, whew!  I wait a couple days, think, that must've been a fluke and go back to the pool to try again.  Nope, not a fluke.  Another lifeguard pulls me out again.  This is at an indoor pool at an Army base, so many of these these lifeguards usually part-timer who are well-trained and really in-shape soldiers, guys and gals like combat medics, rangers, etc, who are really good swimmers.  This guy is also a fellow runner and we know each other.  So this guy pulls me out yet again and says "Scottydog.. what the hell?" So I explain to him about my vertigo.  He walks me to the end of the pool, pulls out an aquajogger floatation belt, hands it to me, and says  "OK, the Scottydog Rule of the pool now is no getting into the pool  for you without an aquajogger! This will keep your head in an upright position all the time.  And I will let the other lifeguards know too. "   So now when I go to the pool that is what I do, wear the belt and run in deep water, which keeps my head nicely in the vertical position and no dizziness.  And every time I go in there, when the lifeguards see me, they all call out to me with a big grin "Scottydog Rule!"  lol.

Happy rest day, Steph!  Take care of that butt!  Cuz...well, see my random thought on Damaris above.  Yours too! Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm going to have to keep this short.  We've got a very hectic day.

My Mom - I'm going up to see her again shortly.  I haven't heard anything, and my Dad has been staying with her.  So, things are either getting better or they are the same.

My Running - I ran 7 miles today with 6 strides for a total 7.6 miles.  The Saucony Omni 11's are so nice to run on.  Don't get me wrong.  The Brooks are my favorite shoe for running fast right now, but for distances at easy pace the Saucony's are the bomb.  My knee feels great.  I did a lot of stretching afterwards, and plan on doing my knee exercises and core work again Wednesday.  My glutes are still screaming at me.

McMillan Paces - I think they're great, but you have to take your training into consideration.  I had 18 mile long runs, and the pace McMillan gave me for my HM based on a 5K race were easily maintained.  They seemed very aggressive when I first saw them, but I actually came in 5 seconds per mile faster with a smile on my face.  If your long runs are shorter than HM distance, I imagine that your endurance and stamina might make those paces hard to maintain.  For example, my VDOT suggests that I could run a marathon at a 9:20 pace according to Jack Daniels pace table.  I'm not trained for that distance yet though.  So, if I want to have any chance of finishing a marathon today, I'd have to add significant time to that pace.  Does that make sense?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

Scotty, I used BioFreeze on it before I went out today. Yea my work schedule sucks, but at least I'm still working. It could be like a lot of other folks I know, and not have a job.

I cut the intervals short, and while I stopped at 5.07 miles, there was no knee pain, and I was able to run 3 miles between 7:40-8:30. Maybe the last two days were a fluke of some sort.

tracilynn

WTH is a VDOT?

When I put my times into mcmillian it gives me a vLT of 10:46 and a vVO2 of 9:12.

I know what they are (lactate threshhold and VOmax crap) but what do they mean exactly?

I ran my easy run of 3 miles today.  My pace was supposed to be 11:40-12:20 and I ran it 11:34, 11:31, 11:45 and I felt like I was going really realy slow, like 12+ hmmm..

~~~~~~~

Traci

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

WTH is a VDOT?

When I put my times into mcmillian it gives me a vLT of 10:46 and a vVO2 of 9:12.

I know what they are (lactate threshhold and VOmax crap) but what do they mean exactly?

I ran my easy run of 3 miles today.  My pace was supposed to be 11:40-12:20 and I ran it 11:34, 11:31, 11:45 and I felt like I was going really realy slow, like 12+ hmmm..

I don't even want to try to explain VDOT in technical terms LOL, but the simple answer is that if you don't have the time, money or equipment to find your true threshold you can just use your best race time and look on a table to see what your VDOT is.  VDOT is kind of like the estimated threshold.  You can base your training paces and goal paces on it.

It's not 100% accurate for a few reasons.  Some people push themselves harder in a race than other.  So, basing it on a race has some wiggle room.  Also your race may have been hilly or a different terrain than you train on.  There are a ton of variables that come into play.  So, I feel like calculators and VDOT tables all great guides, but your experiences may vary and lead you to some slightly different conclusions. I think that's why so many people say that easy pace should just be a conversational pace.  It's less complicated.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013