Beginners and Beyond

Looking for input on Incorporating Crossfit with Running (Read 118 times)

Ball of Fury

Yeah...having witnessed several people die from rhabdomyolysis, that is one of the things that has annoyed me about CF!

"Uncle Rhabdo"?

Wow.  Isn't that what happened to those Iowa football players?

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Hip Redux

Edit: Isolating muscles to strengthen them isn't just boring, it's ineffective.  Real fitness and strength comes from working out with coordinated movements using muscle groups, rather than a single muscle and it's counterpart. One shouldn't use momentum to accomplish an exercise but that's not the same as saying muscles need to be isolated for strength training to be effective.

+1

The key is to use muscles as they are intended to work with each other - there really aren't any movements you do day-in/day-out where you use only one muscle, so why exercise that way?

One thing I don't understand about CF is how they tout being all "functional" movements but yet consistently use sit-ups in many of their WODs.  If you want functional movements, sit ups ain't it.  (talk about isolating a muscle group in a way it's not intended to work...)

Meat Wagon

Puker

Are you serious? Where on the douchebag continuum does that fall? Douchetoids indeed.

I was gentle and you enjoyed the attention. Don't ruin the memory by acting all butthurt now.

Feel sick and dirty, more dead than alive.

MrNamtor

I was gentle and you enjoyed the attention. Don't ruin the memory by acting all butthurt now.

it actually left me feeling emotionally and sexually violated.  But at least your avatar didn't have hair on her chest.   Or did she?

MrNamtor

Good point

+1

The key is to use muscles as they are intended to work with each other - there really aren't any movements you do day-in/day-out where you use only one muscle, so why exercise that way?

One thing I don't understand about CF is how they tout being all "functional" movements but yet consistently use sit-ups in many of their WODs.  If you want functional movements, sit ups ain't it.  (talk about isolating a muscle group in a way it's not intended to work...)