Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday's March of the Penguins. To infinity and Beyond. (Read 184 times)

Wandering Wally

T-Rod - It depends on the texture of the snow.  When it's dry and fluffy it's lots of fun.  When it's heavy and packed, not so much.  Today's snow had about the same texture as fine beach sand.  It was a nice run, but it was lots of work to power through it.  Definitely kept me warm :-)

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Morning, Penguins!!  I bailed on my run last night due to a headache, so I will swim today and then run this evening.  Hopefully I'll get the regular lap pool, because the activity pool has a weird current and swimming against the current makes me tired!  

T-rod -- come on, take some tights pics!!

Honestly there is a reason that I started to run in the dark, wee hours of the AM. It isnt because I am a morning person, but because I started off as a fat slug. I am still closer to being a fat slug than being photo quality eye candy. I started 11 months ago at 365 and now am at 275. would like to be 235 before too long, but who really knows what will happen.

I will make a deal- when I hit my goal weight I will send pics. -- BTW I dont have an ideal weight goal so I am not sure when this will happen Big grin

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

SheCan

I started 11 months ago at 365 and now am at 275. would like to be 235 before too long, but who really knows what will happen.

T-Rod-- That is so impressive!  Heck, I'd be posting pictures every day if I were you!

Everyone else, good morning!  Wow, y'all get around quickly!

Jen2011, great job on meeting your HM goal.  Hope you had fun and it has inspired you to want to do more and more.

mjsmith, sounds like you got quite a workout with that snow.  

Bin--- hope your baby boy is much better today.

Again, I'm taking a nonrunning day, but will use the weights for my upper body workout a bit later.  I got an email from marathonfoto yesterday saying our race photos were in, but in the pictures was someone else.  In fact it was a well known local runner.  So I tried looking her name up but nothing came up, and it won't let us look up pictures by bib# oddly enough.  It was just really annoying.  Got my fingers crossed that they fix it today!  

Take care all!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Some fun this morning turned out to be!  Angry  Had a small accident on the drive to work.  Ford F-150 in front of me, both of us slowing down to make an upcoming turn, some compact car swerves from the other lane in front of the F-150, she has to slam on her brakes, I have to slam on mine, but unfortunately, I smack into the back of her.  The little dweeb that caused it all didn't even notice, just kept right on going.  We both pull off to the side of the road, luckily neither of us is hurt, and both of us have very good insurance.  Given that I have a Ford Escape, I think my vehicle took a lot more damage than hers did, as I mainly jut hit her right on that big ole F-150 bumper, those things are pretty hard and pretty tough!  All she had was some slight 'bending' of her bumper toward her tires, and a small dent in one area where the impact was.  As for my Escape, the main damage is the bumper really came loose and is dented pretty badly and will probably need to be completely replaced.  Anyway, she was very nice about it and we both had a few choice words for the other driver.  Got our respective insurance companies on the phone and got all our information exchanged and so forth and then we were on our way again.  My car is drivable, but the bumper is very loose, so I drove straight to my Ford mechanic/dealer and left it there;  I don't want to be driving along and my darn bumper falls off into the road and perhaps gets someone hurt.  So I felt it was better to play it safe.  Gail came and got meat the dealer and so now I am at home waiting for my rental car to show up.   I will say one thing, my insurance folks - Progressive -  were very professional and very speedy, they took care of everything, getting the appraiser scheduled to come out, to assess the damage, sent the rental car authorization to the rental car company, and so forth.   Her insurance - USAA - was very good also, and between the two respective agents taking information, giving us instructions, etc.  I don't think we were at the accident scene for more than 30 minutes before we were on our way again.  So now I'm just in a waiting mode until my baby gets repaired.   Poor old Red Rover - that's what I call my car, lol, cuz he and me WANDER all over  everywhere going to running and racing places and exploring - his first accident ever since I've had him since 2005.  He may have 118,000 miles on him, but he's a good ole vehicle, very reliable, the best one I've ever owned and has always run great, and I just want him to get fixed up and back with me.

Oh well, these things happen and it could've been a lot worse.  I'm glad no one got hurt and I'm just gonna try and stay positive about it all and not let it get me down.

Well, as long as I'm home for the day - my boss told me to just go ahead and take the day off, nice - I think I will go get in a run.  However, I am going to wait until this afternoon, cuz we had a cold front move in, and it is now a flippin' 35 degrees outside!  BRRRR!  That is cold for we South Texans!  It's supposed to warm up to about 56 for later today, I think I will wait until it gets to that temperature! Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Scotty, glad to hear you and the other guy are ok!!  And I know what you mean about the truck -- last summer when DH smacked into the back of a F-150, it bent the other guy's bumper.  DH's car was totaled.  Roll eyes

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Wandering Wally

Scotty - Glad you are OK!

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

11 straight day off, nice Jimmy, and nice you get to spend it with the family.good luck with your miles.

Enjoy the SRD, Bin.  How is the little one doing"

In my case, Mitch, with my fat butt, I would bust out OF the new tights, lol.   Happy miles, stay warm!

Hey, Gustav, you still got to sleep in, take any reason you can get.  Wink

Safe trip, Kristi!

it was AWESOME!  I love winter running.  Certifiably crazy, that's what Brady is! Joking

You know, Damaris, maybe if you stopped drinking all that Starbucks, you'd sleep better.   Caffeine BAD, sleep GOOD. Wink  Ugg, I can't even walk into a Starbucks store without getting nauseous, the coffee smell is so overwhelming.

Congrats on your half, Jen!  Will have to go read your report.

A nice COLD run after work...another crazy person..Jerry, are you related to Brady? Wink

Dave, you shouldn't tell us your miles, you should let us guess how many you run.   I would guess...8 miles! Big grin

Wow, Kristin, I get a mental image of you typing all that at about 300 words a second, lol, and if were saying it to us, giving it all to us in one big breath, and then "OK, gotta go now!"  Smile  BTW, I think you are going to do just fine in your race.

Nice shoes, Jimmy.  You are lucky, for some reason I have never been able to run in Reeboks, they always give me some kind of problem.

Dang, Bill, 26 degrees! And I thought I had cold weather with my measly South Texas 34 degrees.  Um, tomorrow though, we are supposed to have a low in the morning of 28, yikes!

Yay for new shoes, ERLH!  Good luck with that tempo run!  Dang, what is up with your TM?  Sorry about that, how much will that cost to fix...or is it just time for a new TM?

5 inches of SNOW!  Shocked  PLEASE, Trail Hippy, don't use that 4-letter word around me, I am a cold-weather wimp!

Congrats on your miles, Jack!  Good luck with your HM training too, and with the hill.  Keep at that hill regulary and I bet during the race you will be ready and just charge right up it like it's nothing, leaving lots of folks trailing behind you.   Of course, they also might think you're a show-off and start throwing stuff at you...so practice ducking too!

Zelanie, cookies (oatmeal raisin) are better snacks than...{{{{shudder}}}} nasty ole cupcakes.  Just sayin'.  Joking

Tomas, you are turning into a running machine.  18 on Saturday, nice. 

Happy swimming, HsM!  Hmm, maybe you can RUN to the pool and then jump in it, and then you'd have both your run and swim done.

Happy weights day, Cherie!  Hope they get your photo situation corrected.  When they do, you then will post them, of course... Big grin

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, I am in the planning stages of a Disney World / Universal Studios vacation for DH and me in February.  He's never been to either place, and I haven't been there in decades, so it should be a blast! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Happy swimming, HsM!  Hmm, maybe you can RUN to the pool and then jump in it, and then you'd have both your run and swim done.

If the pool were further away than right across the street ...  Approve

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

If the pool were further away than right across the street ...  Approve

Well then, do an Achilles and  first run 3 times around the building..

Tomas, you are turning into a running machine.  18 on Saturday, nice. 

Not quite a machine- more like a shuffler that can stand being out and about for 3 and a half hours. I always tell the kids that peer pressure is bad and that I was a chicken growing up so I didnt do as much stupid stuff as I should have.....and look what I have gotten myself into. The Houston Marathon in just over a month away. I have two 18 milers, one 20 miler, and then taper before I am certifiablly nuts.

MJSmith- That snow really does sound fun. Maybe I will get some for Christmas.

SheCan- Thanks- I know I have come a long wa, just know that I have a ways to go.

Tomas

SheCan

Scotty, wow, what an un-fun eventful morning!  Glad you're okay though and have got the day off (with pay hopefully!)  

HopesMom--- oh gosh a trip to Disney World!  That's going to be a radical vacation.  Just be sure to have lots and lots of extra cash!   

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Snickers1230

Sorry about the accident Scotty!  But glad  you are okay!  Also glad your car is fixable!

Morning penguins!

I finished my half on Sunday.  That's about all I can say on it, I finished Smile.  It wasn't what I had originally hoped it would be, but I also knew it wasn't going to be since my training suffered this past month.  There's a RR up (RunGirl 13.1) if you're interested.  Rested yesterday.  I was planning on going to bed early because I was really tired, but as I was leaving work (I stayed about 30 minutes late), my boss comes out of her office saying there were 2 floor, courtside tickets to the Rockets game available if anyone wanted to go.  There were only 3 of us still here at this point.  And knowing my DH is a HUGE basketball fan and a HUGE Rockets fan, all I could say was "I'll take them".  So these are a couple of the pictures he took from our seats:

It was awesome!  If you ever have the opportunity to sit courtside at a basketball game, even if you're not a fan of the sport, you should go once.  It is definitely not the same experience as watching the game on tv or from somewhere else in the arena.  Needless to say, I was not in bed early last night.  By the time I got home, did some stuff online (including writing my RR), it was after midnight before I went to bed.  But it was worth it!

Resting again today, then I'll get back into it was an easy 2-3 miler tomorrow.

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Jackie- I was disappointed in myself also after my HM. I think its because the training I did hadnt prepared me for the course and because I am such a new runner that I hadnt had a base that was good enough. I knew what the deal was so I learned from it. My HM was not my goal race, so I wasnt too disappointed, and I have also learned to try to take something away from each run to try to have it help me later on. Also, some runs are good and some are bad. This is the same with races and with life. At the end of the day though we must remember that the sun will come up the next day and we shouldnt sweat the small stuff, and for the most part life is full of small stuff.

**** this has your name at the top, but it is really to myself****

court side tickets to NBA games would be pretty sweet. I get great seats to all sorts of sporting events......but my tickets are to high school sports and I am usually on the clock.

Tomas

Robert31320

Team TJ

I got in 3.3 miles early this morning.

I've been doing some XT all day now working on a water main repair.  TIRED now!

Running for TJ because he can't.