Beginners and Beyond

My Christmas present???? (Read 534 times)

Love the Half

If I never need to run on snow again, it will be fine by me.

Agreed.  I find no joy in busting my ass.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

RSX

I would rather shovel snow than than run in it when there is more than a few inches.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Snow is not my friend. I'm convinced the slight change in stride necessitated by running on snow was the cause of several injuries over the past 3-4 years. That didn't keep it from snowing last night.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

It didn't snow enough to be fun. It is also in the single digits with wind chill. Brrrrrr! Suddenly it doesn't seem quite so fun. Sad

Chairman

It didn't snow enough to be fun. It is also in the single digits with wind chill. Brrrrrr! Suddenly it doesn't seem quite so fun. Sad

Just wait until you go out on a snowy, windy day and find out how much of a blast it is to get pelted in the face and eyes with hard, frozen little pieces of crap for your entire run.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Consider me in the "Bah Humbug" camp when it comes to running and snow.  There's an increased risk of injury, both from having to modify your stride and from the danger of falling on ice. There are far fewer places to run, and much more danger in running (because the sidewalks are impassable & it's dark & the shoulders are extremely narrow).  It's miserable to be cold and to get pelted with ice, or to get splashed by a car.  I have to cut a lot of my runs short because I have to leave early to white knuckle it to work.  You develop this short shuffling stride and can't do speedwork.  Runs take longer when you don't want to be out any longer than you have to be.

We have a blizzard warning for tomorrow and they are predicting at least a foot.  Unless we get a warm spell, it will take weeks for the sidewalks to be clear again.

As a novelty, sure ... have to deal with it day after day for almost six months (it can snow here from literally November into May) and snow stinks.  After a day or two it isn't even pretty - it just turns a slushy ugly brown.

The only thing worse than running in snow is driving in snow.  Although at least that's only when it is actively snowing versus the misery of dealing with a snowstorm as a runner sometimes lasts for weeks because of impassable sidewalks.

We got about an inch or an inch and a half this morning in the texas panhandle. this was really good as my wife (wide lol) was ok with us not driving to new Mexico fornights at and staying the night. So it saved 8 hours or more driving plus a hotel room. In south texas where I live, it was 70 this am. Mid 20's is ok for a couple of days Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

LRB

Jenny, why don't you tell us how you really feel - lmao!

Strict WTF adherent

People who don't shovel need a cock-punching