Beginners and Beyond

PICS ADDED TO FIRST POST: A1A Ft. Lauderdale Marathon RR: In Which the Docket Ran Her Coldest Marathon...and it was in South Florida (Read 187 times)

Docket_Rocket

Today, I ran the A1A Ft. Lauderdale Marathon in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.  There has not been a Winter in South Florida (at least in Miami) in more than two years, but we got a Winter DAY today.  Only a day.  Tomorrow, we'll be back to close to 90F weather by tomorrow.

I didn't taper for this race and I didn't train for this race.  This was part of my quest for a second star on the Marathon Maniacs and it was very cathartic to have the marathon that gave me the first start on the maniacs to give me the second star.  As of today, I have two stars on the Maniacs, woot!

This was a very tough marathon.  It was low 40s at the start but with the wind at 23mph, the feels like was in the mid 30s.  I decide to wear a long sleeve top and gloves, skirt, compression socks, and a buff-like headband in case my asthma would surface in the wind (it usually carries dustmites which are my downfall).  So, I was ready for it but I didn't do anything out of the ordinary.

Marathon Week:

As all of you know, I've been very busy at work, with lots of court time and lots of personal issues.  First, I had severe asthma last week, culminating with me running only 53 of my 65 miles planned.  Then, it was one of my cats who got an ulcer on her right eye, which ended up with tons of vet time that included me witnessing the death of a dog that had been run over by a car.  Probably the same drivers that try to kill me every day while running.  Finally, came my dad, who was shot at on Friday night on his way home.  He lost his car (they wrecked it in the shooting) and he is still very nervous, but he is alive and well, thankfully.  As you can see, this whole week was very stressful!

Pre-Race:

I was able to sleep 4-5 hours, which is unheard of for me on race day.  Woke up at 3:55am, got dressed, and drove the 20-30 minutes to Downtown Ft. Lauderdale, where my court is located, in fact, to start the race.  It was freezing!  People were hugging strangers in the corrals just to keep warm!  I chatted with some of the runners and we talked about the great weather we would have (minus the wind), as compared to last year which was at 85F.  Overall, I felt OK.

Race:

As soon as I was able to park, I found the potties.  On the line, 2-3 girls were talking to me about our Winter gear and I mentioned the fact that I hope I didn't feel sorry for wearing a long sleeve and one them asked me whether I was wearing something I could ditch later.  I thought: this bitch must not know inknburn if she asked that question.  Hell, no.  I am not ditching this expensive top!  Hello?

We started a bit late, because the wind had knocked off some of the cones and markers, so they had to do extra work before starting.  So, instead of 6am, we started at 6:15am or thereabouts.  I crossed the starting line 3:30 minutes or thereabouts after the start.  I had not eaten anything prior to the race except my coffee because I woke up feeling nauseous and had cramps, so it would be one of those day, sigh.  I started as usual with the first three miles at easy pace, hoping for an easy first half followed by a good strong finish.  By Mile 6 I was on the pace I wanted (as close to 10:20mm as I could) and I decide to go with the flow.  Although I expected to ditch the gloves by Mile 2, I wore them all the way to Mile 20-21, and after I ditched them, I felt sorry because my hands were freezing the rest of the way.

My paces are below, so I'll just do a summary of each portion of the race:

Miles 1-5: Sunrise started at around 7am, so the first 5 miles were in the dark.  It was not as windy as it would be the rest of the way, but I took it easy.  I only brought two gels because of my stomach, so I used the Gatorade/Powerade at the water stations.

Miles 6-13.1:  I felt strong at Mile 6, so I started getting on pace, hoping I could do some good miles until we head to the beach which is super windy and shadeless (last 10 miles).  By Mile 7, the headwind was brutal.  I sometimes stepped 3 steps to the left the wind was bad.  It was a headwind from Mile 7 through Mile 16.

Miles 13.1-18:  I crossed the halftime at close to 2:18, which was somewhere I wanted to be.  I was already on PR pace but I knew I would get slower as we get further, mostly because I knew the course and most of the last 10 miles were with no shade and the wind would be brutal.  I was not mistaken, LOL.

Miles 19-25:  These miles were tough but the 40-50F weather helped. The headwind was brutal which kept me freezing the whole way.  I decided to ditch the gloves at Miles 20-21 after trying to ditch them several times, followed by me wearing them again because it felt so cold.  The wind made everything 10-20F colder!  The miles were so slow (although the pace does not show it) due to the headwind.

Miles 25-26.2:  OMG, I wanted to walk so bad!  The wind here was brutal which meant I started getting asthma issues here.  Breathing was labored and I wanted to walk to get rid of it but thought I could handle the asthma for 2 more miles so I just ran as much as I could.  You can tell that I got slower.  It was not a wall or anything; just the wind and the chest.

Finished in 4:34:09, a 3:09 minute PR!  I was not shooting for a PR but I wanted to run at my usual marathon HR with some warmup miles.  Overall, I am very happy with my performance, as I have been doing 1-2 marathon per month and still being able to PR with my racing schedule, my asthma, my job, and my life, is really rewarding!

This is the third marathon without albuterol and that makes me very happy.

This race gave me my second star on the Maniacs.  But the new journey starts.  A second star is not enough; bring on the third, starting next month.....

Paces!

My barely there floater:

And my favorite:

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Better I Leave

Awesome Damaris. Dang...1-2 marathons a month!!! Whew. Much respect. Smile

LRB

Nice splits, they are very consistent.  You wouldn't last a week running in Michigan lmao!

Congrats on the PR, D.  You must be so proud of yourself!

hog4life

Damaris, congrats on a great race and the new PR! I guess I overlooked that about your dad, that is really scary and nerve racking.

onemile

Nice, steady pacing.  Congrats on the PR!

happylily

Congratulations, Damaris! You are so strong!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

AnnQ

Nice splits, they are very consistent.  You wouldn't last a week running in Michigan lmao!

Congrats on the PR, D.  You must be so proud of yourself!

But then again, most of us wouldn't last an hour in the Florida heat that she runs in all the time Smile !

Great race and report. Wind is the worst!

Congrats on the new PR. And hope your dad is OK.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

LRB

But then again, most of us wouldn't last an hour in the Florida heat that she runs in all the time Smile !

There is no way I could!

Zelanie

Very nicely done, and super even splits!  You are a marathon machine!

Well done, and I concur with everyone impressed by the consistent pace!

That is the bane of my existence.

Dave

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

All of these marathons just blow my mind.  Throw in a PR, and whoa...pretty amazing.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Congrats on the PR, D!

Interesting that the wind stirs up dust mites, never knew that.

Great job dealing with the sudden and unusual weather change, that can really mess with pacing but it looks like yours was rock solid.

Anomalous

Congratulations, Damaris!! Glad the weather cooled down for you for this race and that you got that second star!

Sorry to hear about your kitty and the incident with your father. I'm glad both are okay.

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

outoftheblue

You did great today!  Congrats on the PR.

Life is good.