Beginners and Beyond

Race Report with Photos: Nolen Vargas 5K (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO:  I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION RACE REPORT

My 36th race of 2013.  Also one of my worst 5Ks ever for me.  Not a Personal Worst, but pretty close.  I am fighting some kind of sinus/congestion crappola in my system and today I felt like I did not have my usual energy.  My chest even hurt at times, like I could not get in enough oxygen, gaaack.  As I was going through this, I was thinking about my friend Damaris who deals with asthma. I really felt for her, having to deal with this for only a short time, and I know mine will pass and I'll be back to normal soon, but she has to deal with hers ALL the time.  Wow, I can't imagine, it was bad enough dealing with this for only 40 minutes!  I ended up walking a lot more than planned and did complete the whole course - in my 30 years of being a runner, I have never not finished any race I ever started - coming in to the finish at a very slow 37:22 chip, 38:58 clock time, about 5 - 6 minutes longer than I usually take for a 5K.   Oh well, stuff happens, and you do the best you can.    This was a small event, maybe about 130 or so people,  and so my age group was listed as 51 - 99 (I'm 59), lol.   So there were quite a few in my Age Group, I didn't even come close to being in the top 3...but  even with the way I was feeling I wasn't last either, so I guess that's something.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

BEFORE THE RACE

Arrived about an hour before start time, got registered and then did my usual wandering around taking some pre-start photos of participants and supporters, including some nice doggie supporters that were out there too.

Me and my pal Luke, 20 years older than me, and 4 minutes per mile faster than me too, lol.

A couple of the photos of Nolen that were displayed in the registration area

Awwww....I think this pup was a bit overwhelmed by all the activity around him

Getting ready to start

ON THE COURSE

Event was held in Landa Park, a very nice park in New Braunfels, Texas, about a 30-minute drive from San Antonio. Lots of 5Ks are held in this park.  We ran out with a golf course to our left on the way out, did a loop through a pretty neighborhood, then back on the main street and headed back the way we came out, with the golf course now on our right. The course was very flat, with the exception of one "dip" that gave us a short but steep downhill and short uphill going out, and then we did it in reverse going back to the finish line, with the steep downhill now a steep uphill on our way back.

After that last photo, I shuffled on in to the finish non-stop.  My poor buddy, George, who is much faster than me and waits near the finish to cheer me in at races that we both do, must've waited a LONG time today.  Great friend,  who is always there for me, his being there was much appreciated, especially for this 'bad' race of mine.

AFTER THE RACE

Drank some water, walked around a bit.  Soon as I stopped running, I felt much better, lol.  Go figure. Joking  Wandered around and got the "Happy Finisher' photos.  I call them "Happy Finisher' photos cuz a lot more people seem to be smiling after they get done than before they start. Wink  And we can't forget the folks who were out there supporting us, cheering us, etc., lots of these folks in the photos too, thanks for being out there for we participants!

Soon as I pointed the camera in her direction, this lovely little lady struck a pose for me, lol.  Watch out Daddy and Mommy, future heart-breaker here!  Big grin

The guy on the far right is Mr. Vargas, the father of Nolen Vargas, for whom the race is named.  He is on stage with the scholarship recipients.   I got to speak with him briefly...a class act and one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to know.

EPILOG

A very nice event with lots of friendly folks, a good course, and some nice post-race goodies.   A nice touch is that the race shirt is optional, so if you decide not to get the shirt, your entry fee is only $15.  Very helpful at times when you're on a tight budget.  The event also serves a a good cause - scholarships - and also celebrates the life of the person the race was named for. This event was begun by the Vargas family and named for their son, who was tragically killed in a car crash in 2011 at 18 years old shortly after he graduated from high school.  Nolen was a member of the Canyon High School running team/cross-country team and his family honors his memory with this race that provides scholarships to students.   Nolen's family is a class act,  turning their personal tragedy into something that celebrates their son and provides a purposeful community service by awarding scholarships.  Having lost a son myself, I really feel for his family and this event continues to be on my race calendar each year.

You can read Nolen's story here - http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Student-athlete-killedin-crash-1452258.php .   

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Sloooow.

Great job for finishing, Scotty. I'm sorry you had such a tough time with the chest congestion though, that sounded horrible to deal with.

As always, love all the pictures. Thanks so much for sharing Smile

GinnyinPA

Nice race report Scotty.  I agree, turning tragedy into something good deserves support.  I hope your chest issue gets better soon.  It's been going on for a couple of weeks already.  Time for a doctor?

happylily

Aww... Poor Scotty... I hope you feel better soon. Must be awful to run feeling like you did today. Cry

Lots of beautiful people and I agree with you, that little lady is a future heartbreaker.Smile

Thanks for the great report. Please take care of yourself now!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

hog4life

Congrats on #36! I think you are on pace to break your record, lol.