Beginners and Beyond

Running in colder weather (Read 82 times)

Rondog65

I prefer running; racing and training in the cold, however don't enjoy the ice that goes hand in hand with the cold.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

I've got a marathon to think of! Smile

I've heard that it's a fairly important one Wink

Plus, cold means no bugs.

If I could choose between cold, windy, snowy conditions or being stung by a wasp in 75 and sunny, I'd pick the wasp 365 days a year.

Wandering Wally

Friday night I was out running.  The temp was around 10F, the windchill was hovering around 0F and I was thinking "Wow, this is great!".  I much prefer running in the cold to the heat.  Each to their own I guess.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

RSX

Hey guys. So I'm back after running the hot chocolate 5k and I was sort of satisfied with my time at 25:20, but as the day moves on I've been beating myself up for not running hard enough. I'm not sore, which means I didn't run hard enough. This time is equivalent to my tempo paces and is way off my PR many many years ago. My current times have been 24:30-25:30. I was hoping to get between 24-25 so I missed my goal. I am such a better runner in warmer temps IMO. It was cold and in the 20-30's. It was definitely not a flat course as it had a few good hills at the start and close to the finish. Just seeing what your opinions are on racing in colder temps vs warmer temps.

A friend of mine just emailed race pictures of him and his son holding hot chocolate mugs after doing this race. His son lives out your way. This race had 3,500+ finishers. Forget the cold, it must be hard to have a good race time in a field that big.

Nevrgivup

A friend of mine just emailed race pictures of him and his son holding hot chocolate mugs after doing this race. His son lives out your way. This race had 3,500+ finishers. Forget the cold, it must be hard to have a good race time in a field that big.

Yes it was. It took awhile before the field opened up. It is a nice race. The gun time and chip time are about 1 minute off. That's how long it took to touch the mat at the start. Really fun race.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del.