Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday's shrinking Penguin population! (Read 74 times)

Bin Running

Thanks Dave for that info. Didn't knew I qualify. Smile

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Good morning penguins!

I did notice that several of the colony have been missing, hope they're all ok.  I don't see all of them on FB, guess I'm not in the right group, or just haven't friended them.

Bin,  you could be a fanatic with your May/Jun races, two races in 16 days gets you in the club (or 3 in 90 days).  I was looking at the half fanatics site last night. Smile

5.2 miles for me this morning, I tried to keep it slow, but when it's really cold out my brain says, "Go fast, you'll be warmer!".  lol

Hope everyone has a great day!!

my lil sister should qualify this spring for the half fanatics. 3 in 90 days. I would, but I am too cheap to run that many races.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Hey all, checking in!

I had some changes at work about a month ago which are requiring that I be at work earlier and it just kills my morning. This also has meant no morning runs during the week so my " daytime " has been shifted. I also had several weeks of work related training that seems to have taken the wind out of my sails. What is strange is that I returned back to running the same time this work schedule came about, and I no longer do the bike, lift weights, and have rarely done core or myrtl anymore. I have a couple people I stay in touch with at RWOL, although one has completely disappeared. I have a FB page but am hardly ever on it.

So yesterday I ran a 4 mile tempo run. It felt great to bring the speed back! So far I have been doing my mileage slower than I have in the past, and for me I feel it affects my gait.

I have a race coming up and there is no way I'm prepared for it. I think the only reason I signed up was for the cool pint beer glass you get!

Anyway, looking at 4 easy tonight.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Docket_Rocket

yay, Gustav is here!

D2, they are not in another FB group; they are just in FB.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

yay, Gustav is here!

D2, they are not in another FB group; they are just in FB.

i took what he said was that FB was too powerful and we needed to take down FB Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Mmmmm...beer

Tomas,  that's me too!  I was thinking I could go for the 3 in 90 days, but the prices have gone up on the races that would keep me in the 90 day window, and I don't want to pay that much for a race. lol

Damaris, that's what I figured. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Zelanie

Morning!  I have noticed the shrinking penguin population but figured that RA just didn't feel like home for some.  I like it here, but can see why if people are posing in the Facebook dailies & RWOL that this might just seem like one more thing.  RWOL just annoys me every time I go back.  I am hoping enough of a group stays here with the new forums, because I don't really want to go back, although I miss Moth.

Tonight I have 5 x 1200 at the track, for 9 miles total.  On paper the pace I need to hit doesn't sound too terrible, we'll see if that turns out to be true in reality.

Awood- Hope that you are able to get outside for your run later!

D- Hope the kitties are doing OK!

Bin- Nice run! Sounds a lot like the one I'll be doing in a bit!  Although not that fast, hehe.

Vance- Sounds like XT to me!  Glad you were able to get those in.  I don't think I've run the day of a blood donation, although I have hiked.  Even the day after, my usually "easy" pace felt a bit more interesting.  If you do run tonight, be careful!

Tomas- Sorry you had to cut it short.  IIRC you had some great mileage this weekend, though!

Tori- Makes sense to take it easy today.  Sending good thoughts for your friend.

Kristin- I think an easy week sounds like a great idea.  Hopefully it will lead to some really enjoyable runs, too.

D2- Good luck staving off taper madness!

Gustav- So good to see you here again!  I love your posts and your stories.  I can't quite keep up with XT when I am running my regular amount, either.  I should, but...  Nice work on the 4-mile tempo!  What race do you have coming up?  You prefer 5Ks, yes?

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I brought my gear in for some laps around the indoor track.  It's amazing how long it took me to realize that the gym I joined does have an indoor track, and if I'm having trouble fitting in running after work, I can probably do it at work during my lunch break!  Yeah, it took me about three months, because I am that brilliant.  I also have quartet rehearsal tonight, so I schlepped in my backpack, lunch and water, running gear, and keyboard.  I felt like a pack mule!

awood -- our snow is supposed to start overnight and continue all day tomorrow.  I'm betting on staying at home tomorrow and watching the 8-12 inches pile up from my comfy couch!  The Penguin population always ebbs and flows, who knows why?  It may be harder for us to get new folks while buried in the B&B group.  No good solution for that, I think.

Docket -- good morning!!  Have a good 11!!

Bin -- hope the intervals went well!!

N-Bug -- I look at RWOL fairly often, though I don't bother posting.  I haven't seen any Penguin threads pop up, anyway.  You did have an adventure yesterday!!

T-Rod -- sorry all of your run wasn't fun!

Tori -- have fun doing the yoga, and best wishes to your cousin!

kristin -- I've noticed the trees on my commute are also ready for spring.  Too bad they're going to get dumped on tonight ...

D2 -- I think "Go fast,  you'll be back inside sooner!!"  

Gustav -- glad you're back, but boo on the work messing you up!!

Zelanie -- hope your plan turns out to be great!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

HsM- Glad you found another option to get your runs in!

Docket_Rocket

Don't worry, Z, most of us are NOT going back.  And this group hit an all time high in membership yesterday, so I assume people have just been busy and lurking rather than posting.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Glad you found an option for your runs. Sounds like a good one too.

Morning, Penguins!!  I brought my gear in for some laps around the indoor track.  It's amazing how long it took me to realize that the gym I joined does have an indoor track, and if I'm having trouble fitting in running after work, I can probably do it at work during my lunch break!  Yeah, it took me about three months, because I am that brilliant.  I also have quartet rehearsal tonight, so I schlepped in my backpack, lunch and water, running gear, and keyboard.  I felt like a pack mule!

awood -- our snow is supposed to start overnight and continue all day tomorrow.  I'm betting on staying at home tomorrow and watching the 8-12 inches pile up from my comfy couch!  The Penguin population always ebbs and flows, who knows why?  It may be harder for us to get new folks while buried in the B&B group.  No good solution for that, I think.

Docket -- good morning!!  Have a good 11!!

Bin -- hope the intervals went well!!

N-Bug -- I look at RWOL fairly often, though I don't bother posting.  I haven't seen any Penguin threads pop up, anyway.  You did have an adventure yesterday!!

T-Rod -- sorry all of your run wasn't fun!

Tori -- have fun doing the yoga, and best wishes to your cousin!

kristin -- I've noticed the trees on my commute are also ready for spring.  Too bad they're going to get dumped on tonight ...

D2 -- I think "Go fast,  you'll be back inside sooner!!"  

Gustav -- glad you're back, but boo on the work messing you up!!

Zelanie -- hope your plan turns out to be great!!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...
                          I don't have FB and never will. I think it is bad for society in general, but I won't get started.

Today begins week three of my HM training (thanks, Hog!)  While younger DD is training in the pool, I will be on the track with DW doing 8x800 at HM pace with a mile warm up and cool down. So far, so good... I would love to PR but my real goal is to train at my best and NOT get injured.

Have a nice day.

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

I've been twice to the donation bus to donate blood... both times they've been full, no room.  Only now did it dawn on me I couldn't donate anyway - I have a fresh tattoo.   Oh well...

Singer who runs a smidge

I like FB, because I have so many friends and family who live nowhere near me.  But I prefer to keep my running life and my real life separate, so I try not to do FB with running friends.  Most of my friends and family don't care about my running, which is fine.  And now that I type out "running life" and "real life", it sounds kind of doofy.  But oh well.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

I just wanted to peek in and say HI!  Been having some time management issues the last few days, but am still running.  I WILL catch up on the RRs from this past weekend when I have more time.  Hope everyone is doing well!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson