Beginners and Beyond

What else are you training for? (Read 58 times)

onemile

I have been talked into a bike tour this summer around part of the state.  Something like 500 miles -- lots of deserted county highways and bike paths.  We'll mostly camp and stay with friends.  We drove part of the route yesterday...holy hills.  I'm going to die, despite my dude carrying most of the gear.

The things we do for love.

How long is that going to take you?

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Interesting topic :-)

I'm learning Mandarin Chinese so that I can speak to my in-laws a bit better - or at least be able to spy on them.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

The things we do for love.

How long is that going to take you?

I have no idea yet.  I am not in charge of logistics.  I'm just going to pedal and shut up.  LOL.  I think maybe around a week?  70-80 miles per day.  Supposedly it will be "easy."  Needless to say, I am not convinced.

Running is dumb.

onemile

I have no idea yet.  I am not in charge of logistics.  I'm just going to pedal and shut up.  LOL.  I think maybe around a week?  70-80 miles per day.  Supposedly it will be "easy."  Needless to say, I am not convinced.

Bring some chamois cream. 

Brilliant

Interesting topic :-)

I'm learning Mandarin Chinese so that I can speak to my in-laws a bit better - or at least be able to spy on them.

Haha, I can see that it would be nice to understand what your mom-in-law might be saying about you. Big grin

Brilliant

... Maybe get some Enrique Iglesias albums and sing along in the car?  Or kids' music if you want to sing with the kids at your volunteer job.  They might get a kick out of that.

Oh yes, I already have a ton of Enrique Iglesias, Romeo Santos, and Marc Anthony on my running play list.  Big grin  The kids at program think it's cute that I'm trying to learn Spanish and try to help me out sometimes.  A 3rd grader commanded the other kids one day, "Only speak Spanish to Miss Brilliant today!" Big grin

I loved following your trip to Costa Rica last year!  I would love to take an immersion trip.  We've spent 3 weeks in Latin America in the last 18 months (2 trips to Peru and 1 to Mexico City) but, I obviously speak mostly English when with hubby. And since he's a native Spanish speaker, he does all the talking with the taxi drivers, etc, so I didn't get much practice except ordering food.  

From now on, I'll speak to you only in Spanish.  You'll learn pretty quickly that way more than any other.  Good luck!

I wish my hubby would do that!  We try it sometimes but it makes a conversation VERY slow when one person has to try a sentence 3 times before she gets it right. Smile

Docket_Rocket

Oh yes, I already have a ton of Enrique Iglesias, Romeo Santos, and Marc Anthony on my running play list.  Big grin  The kids at program think it's cute that I'm trying to learn Spanish and try to help me out sometimes.  A 3rd grader commanded the other kids one day, "Only speak Spanish to Miss Brilliant today!" Big grin

I loved following your trip to Costa Rica last year!  I would love to take an immersion trip.  We've spent 3 weeks in Latin America in the last 18 months (2 trips to Peru and 1 to Mexico City) but, I obviously speak mostly English when with hubby. And since he's a native Spanish speaker, he does all the talking with the taxi drivers, etc, so I didn't get much practice except ordering food.  

I wish my hubby would do that!  We try it sometimes but it makes a conversation VERY slow when one person has to try a sentence 3 times before she gets it right. Smile

Sí pero con el tiempo, se te hará más fácil.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

Sí pero con el tiempo, se te hará más fácil.

Tienes razon!

Hip Redux

You guys are up to some interesting stuff Smile

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I hope the bike seat is well padded. I once rode 270 miles in 3 days. I didn't want to even look at a bike for the rest of the summer. 'Course my longest ride up to that point was only 50 miles.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

1- Languages are so important. I think I'll train myself to learn French. I hear it's a nice language.

2- I also decided to fall in love with my job again. It's a fun job, it's an important one and it pays well. I whined a lot recently regarding the children, but they are not the problem, I am. Showing up at work tired is inacceptable. It's up to me to bring changes that will allow me to have both the patience and the energy that this job requires. So that it what I intend to re-train myself for. Maybe it will require less weekly mileage and an earlier bed time.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

1- Languages are so important. I think I'll train myself to learn French. I hear it's a nice language.

2- I also decided to fall in love with my job again. It's a fun job, it's an important one and it pays well. I whined a lot recently regarding the children, but they are not the problem, I am. Showing up at work tired is inacceptable. It's up to me to bring changes that will allow me to have both the patience and the energy that this job requires. So that it what I intend to re-train myself for. Maybe it will require less weekly mileage and an earlier bed time.

Or fewer wild parties celebrating Danish king's birthdays.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Brilliant

+1 to the bolded text.  At the last volunteer training, our director mentioned that she can tell when volunteers show up and just don't want to be there. Whoops, was she talking about me?    I've made a conscious effort since then to make sure I'm in the right frame of mind when I show up.  It has really helped me deal with the kids more effectively.